On board credit-split with minor child?

heidiatmn1

10 minutes ago, Jelly_Toast said:

It will just go to the room and if you've set up her card to charge then both of you will be able to use it.

This! They can only spend what you authorize anyway. You can lock their cards down with spending limits. It's up to you how it gets used. 

1 hour ago, heidiatmn1 said:

Hi all-we have $500 on board credit and I'm sharing a room with my 13 yr old daughter. Will half of it go on her account (if so can I change that) or will it all go to mine?  Thanks!

Are you attaching a separate payment method for her?

Ok not to hijack but I am now confused...I am also traveling with a minor....if I do not want him to have "free reign" by using my credit card..do I have the ability to say add $50.00 or $100.00 to his card for his use?  Also, if that is possible, can it be done online or over the phone....aka a method of which I do not have to stand in a front desk line etc...

TIA

18 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

Ok not to hijack but I am now confused...I am also traveling with a minor....if I do not want him to have "free reign" by using my credit card..do I have the ability to say add $50.00 or $100.00 to his card for his use?  Also, if that is possible, can it be done online or over the phone....aka a method of which I do not have to stand in a front desk line etc...

TIA

Yes you can right from sign and sail account. You add it daily or lump sum, whatever you want. Very easy, couple of clicks pretty much (Hub app). 

• Minors must have an account. The account owner has the option to set spending limits or not allow charging privileges to their account. This can be set-up during Online Check-in or on board at the Guest Services Desk. 
Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

So I did set her up with a limit of $100 for the week. If she doesn't spend "her" $250, is sounds

1 hour ago, famof4togo said:

TIA

I just did my check in and because she's a minor it asked me if I wanted her to be able to charge and if so what limit. I didn't see the option of a "per day" limit-just in total. Guessing thats an option maybe once on board?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Are you attaching a separate payment method for her?

I am not-same method-I just know when I go with my husband, the credit is split even though we use the same payment method. There its never an issue as we both have no problem going thru it in no time. My daughter on the other hand will have a hard time spending even the $100 I set her limit to (everything prepaid) based on prior cruises. I hope I didn't just jinx myself there!

I used to think the credits were split evenly, but I think that unless there are rules specifically placed on the account its just one big bucket of money. On our last cruise we had four people, two cabins and over $1k in credits.  Everything we all spent just came out of the credit bucket until it was gone, then from the credit card I had on file. 

18 minutes ago, heidiatmn1 said:

So I did set her up with a limit of $100 for the week. If she doesn't spend "her" $250, is sounds

I just did my check in and because she's a minor it asked me if I wanted her to be able to charge and if so what limit. I didn't see the option of a "per day" limit-just in total. Guessing thats an option maybe once on board?

One of our members here on CC(and a good friend; hi O.C!), was in the same situation as you. He solved the issue by going down to Guest Services and adding his son's "daily allowance" to his S&S card. He said it worked out great for him. 

7 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

This! They can only spend what you authorize anyway. You can lock their cards down with spending limits. It's up to you how it gets used. 

I found that not to be true. I have been called to guest services twice on a 5 day cruise to pay the grandson's bills. He was not supposed to have any spending privileges at all. 2 days in the cruise they hit me up and i told them not to let them charge anything and then we could not disembark until i paid off some more last minute charges. The boy was a minor at the time. Even my wife doesn't put anything on her card. We just use mine.

9 hours ago, heidiatmn1 said:

Hi all-we have $500 on board credit and I'm sharing a room with my 13 yr old daughter. Will half of it go on her account (if so can I change that) or will it all go to mine?  Thanks!

It will go to the room.

2 hours ago, scpirate said:

I found that not to be true. I have been called to guest services twice on a 5 day cruise to pay the grandson's bills. He was not supposed to have any spending privileges at all. 2 days in the cruise they hit me up and i told them not to let them charge anything and then we could not disembark until i paid off some more last minute charges. The boy was a minor at the time. Even my wife doesn't put anything on her card. We just use mine.

Set spending limit to $1 then. Problem solved. You have to actually have the card cut off. You can set it at check-in or on board but it does have to be done. It won't defualt to that, the default limit is wide open and they can bang charges to the sign and sail at will.  

Edited by cruisingguy007