Quick Comparison of High End Suites on E Class Ships

GMoney

Over the past month, I've had the unique opportunity of sailing in 3 different types of suites on Edge class ships: Iconic (Edge), Penthouse (Edge), and Villa (Apex). I don't have time to do a full blown review of each, but thought I would just highlight some of the pros and cons. All of these accommodations provide high-end, luxurious experiences, and any criticisms are really very minor first world problems. I'm extremely grateful to have had the chance to experience them, and am completely sold on X's Retreat product on E class ships. 

Iconic Suite (Edge 12100) - 2 bed, 2 bath, Sq ft: 1,892 interior / 689 terrace

Pros

• Top of the line experience - largest suite in the fleet, one of the largest at sea. You almost never have to leave the room. 
  • Amazing, unparalleled panoramic, forward-facing views
  • Butler's Pantry with refrigerator, freezer, sink, and separate entry
  • 2 separate bedrooms and bathrooms 
  • Insane amount of storage
  • Great indoor / outdoor integration with huge terrace that really negates the need for the Retreat sundeck
  • Good quality outdoor hot tub that works reliably (unlike Edge Villas)
  • Good quality Lavazza coffee machine (superior to other suites)

Cons

• Almost too big, especially for just 2 people. 
  • Poor bathroom lighting
  • Outdoor terrace is only semi-private, and may not be completely usable / enjoyable in high winds
  • No / limited streaming capabilities that reduce the benefit of the huge TV

Penthouse (Edge 12110) - 2 bed, 2 bath, Sq ft: approx 1,300 interior 

Pros

• Premier location across from Luminae, very close to forward elevators with easy access to the Retreat Lounge and Sundeck
  • HUGE doorless walk-in shower in primary bathroom. It's like a car wash. 
  • Very long balcony

Cons

• Poor bathroom lighting
  • Low hanging chandelier in living area
  • Lower quality Lavazza coffee machine that wasn't well maintained

Villa (Apex 15100) - 1 bed, 2 bath, Sq ft:739 interior, 211 balcony

Pros

• Quiet and private
  • Super convenient location, integrated into retreat sundeck
  • Amazing views with floor-to-ceiling glass on both floors
  • Great indoor / outdoor integration with large balcony 

Cons

• Unreliable hot tubs that don't always work as designed (ie - achieve and maintain high water temp).  Few people on the ship seem to know how to maintain / fix them. 
  • Poor bathroom lighting
  • Very low hanging chandelier in living area 
  • Only 1 bedroom with beds that split, but do not separate. 
  • 2 story room that can sometimes be inconvenient if you leave something on one level

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

We were in the Penthouse in October, this is a good assessment of the pros and cons. One of my cons was the lack of a water feature on the balcony.

From our suite the Iconic Suite balcony did look quite exposed.  We wondered if there was any cover for shade or rain.

Would love to try the Villa but put off by the stairs so will be a no go for us.

Very interesting comparison for our dreaming pleasure.

We did win a bid for an Apex Villa recently.  It really grew on us ended up loving the second level bedroom and massive views.  
We were in 15103 with the same issue on the hot tub.  At first is was way too hot and not really adjustable. It needs some redesign.  
I found the uncovered balcony to be a real negative.  Since I won a bid, I had no choice on the location.  I was on the board side on a West bound TA, full sun making the balcony unusable during the day until late day.

The chandelier was just bizarre 

• Like 1

Interesting comparison, thanks. Contemplated bidding on a Villa, but it's a little too rich. We have done two-story crown lofts on Royal and like the expansive two story views. 

Seems like most of the CONS can be easily remedied by Celebrity. 

mac_tlc

2 hours ago, GMoney said:

Over the past month, I've had the unique opportunity of sailing in 3 different types of suites on Edge class ships: Iconic (Edge), Penthouse (Edge), and Villa (Apex). I don't have time to do a full blown review of each, but thought I would just highlight some of the pros and cons. All of these accommodations provide high-end, luxurious experiences, and any criticisms are really very minor first world problems. I'm extremely grateful to have had the chance to experience them, and am completely sold on X's Retreat product on E class ships. 

Iconic Suite (Edge 12100) - 2 bed, 2 bath, Sq ft: 1,892 interior / 689 terrace

Pros

• Top of the line experience - largest suite in the fleet, one of the largest at sea. You almost never have to leave the room. 
  • Amazing, unparalleled panoramic, forward-facing views
  • Butler's Pantry with refrigerator, freezer, sink, and separate entry
  • Great indoor / outdoor integration with huge terrace that really negates the need for the Retreat sundeck
  • Good quality outdoor hot tub that works reliably (unlike Edge Villas)
  • Good quality Lavazza coffee machine (superior to other suites)

Cons

• Almost too big, especially for just 2 people. 
  • Poor bathroom lighting
  • Outdoor terrace is only semi-private, and may not be completely usable / enjoyable in high winds

Penthouse (Edge 12110) - 2 bed, 2 bath, Sq ft: approx 1,300 interior 

Pros

• Premier location across from Luminae, very close to forward elevators with easy access to the Retreat Lounge and Sundeck
  • HUGE doorless walk-in shower in primary bathroom. It's like a car wash. 
  • Very long balcony

Cons

• Poor bathroom lighting
  • Low hanging chandelier in living area

Pros

• Quiet and private

Cons

• Unreliable hot tubs that don't always work as designed (ie - achieve and maintain high water temp).  Few people on the ship seem to know how to maintain / fix them. 
  • Poor bathroom lighting
  • 2 story room that can sometimes be inconvenient if you leave something on one level

• Outdoor terrace is only semi-private, and may not be completely usable / enjoyable in high winds.  Curious as to why you say only semi-private, there are no balconies above, correct?  Do the slanted glass wind shields help deflect light winds?

34 minutes ago, LGW59 said:
  • Outdoor terrace is only semi-private, and may not be completely usable / enjoyable in high winds.  Curious as to why you say only semi-private, there are no balconies above, correct?  Do the slanted glass wind shields help deflect light winds?

Since the majority of the outdoor space is on top of the bridge wing you are somewhat on display. The fitness center, spa and Retreat sundeck also have a partial view onto the Iconic sundeck. It's an amazing space but if privacy is your objective it's not the best choice. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

We were in the PH which is about 3 suites from the Iconic Suite.  If we stood at the balcony rail we could see a big part of the Iconic Suite balcony since it juts out from the side of the ship.

• Like 1

We are on the Edge now in a Royal Suite.  Considered the Edge Villa (since 5 of them are vacant) and the upgrade charge is nominal; however, when we toured the Villa we liked the floor plan of the Royal Suite much better.  The only negative on the Royal is a small balcony but with only 2 of us, it fits our needs.  

I think the best part of the Edge Villa is direct access to the Retreat area from either Deck 15 or 16.

4 hours ago, GMoney said:

Pros

• Quiet and private

Cons

• Poor bathroom lighting

GMoney - Would you please clarify what you mean by split vs. do not separate. We were thinking of upgrading to either a Royal or a Villa, but definitely need the beds separated. Thanks

Maryland - Really good question. As you know, in a regular stateroom, beds can be configured 2 ways - together as one king / queen, or split into 2 twins and separated with space in between them.  In a villa, the bed can only occupy a fixed footprint, because the floating nightstands are physically attached to the wall, rather than being freestanding. As a result, the beds can be split and made up as 2 twins, but they cannot be separated with space between them. It's a little awkward for friends staying in the same room. Hope that makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Jeremiah answered the privacy angle perfectly. 

As far as winds go, the glass shields do provide some protection. There's just a noise factor that comes into play when the winds howl. Again, first world problems. 

• Thanks 1

We have also stayed in all three and agree with your pros and cons.  We also ha a problem with the desk location in the Villa.  I cracked my head on the stairway wall several times heading to disconnect my computer.  One if the best parts of the Villa as the TOTALLY private terrace, as opposed to the Iconic and Penthouse suites.  We would be happy to stay again in any of these three Suites for the right price.

• Like 1