First Responders, Healthcare workers, Military and Veteran Appreciation

carnivaljunkie

Holland America has an appreciation program that gives $100 onboard credit and other perks to Military, Healthcare and First Responder passengers on 61 cruises.  There is another thread "Military Appreciation OBC" that discusses this and gives a link to Holland's explanation and application.  I thought that I would start this thread to alert First Responders and Healthcare workers to the program.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:30 PM, carnivaljunkie said:

Holland America has an appreciation program that gives $100 onboard credit and other perks to Military, Healthcare and First Responder passengers on 61 cruises.  There is another thread "Military Appreciation OBC" that discusses this and gives a link to Holland's explanation and application.  I thought that I would start this thread to alert First Responders and Healthcare workers to the program.

Current details on this promotion: 

"...receive $100 onboard spending credit per cabin when you book select Mexico, Pacific Coast, or Caribbean cruises.

Book by January 31, 2022 and sail by April 30, 2022 to take advantage of this offer."

This is actually an expansion from HAL's promotion last fall.  That promo did not include Caribbean cruises.  Hopefully this becomes a full time promotion (as is offered on many other cruise lines) rather than limited term.

12 hours ago, MTAK said:

Thank you for this additional post.  I did see the Military post but just by chance.  I was able to get the extra OBC on my April booking as a volunteer firefighter. 

Glad I could Help.  I would not have found this on my own if the "military benefit" had not been posted on this Board. First Responders and Healthcare workers deserve a little extra for their service. 

21 minutes ago, carnivaljunkie said:

I checked with HAL again about the other perks on this offer.  You need to book at the Have it All rate to get them.  The $100 on board credit appears to be given to any military (including veterans), health care worker or first responder on the 61 cruises listed. 

Odd you should say this.  My FIL and I are booked at the "Best Price" rate, not the "HIA" rate, and got the OBC for military on the 7 day 27 March sailing of Rotterdam.  While we are both eligible, it's only per stateroom, so we'll share it.  While the advertising for this on HALs website is very suggestive that it only comes with the "HIA" rate, the smaller, finer print at the foot of this page doesn't require it for any of those eligible.

But perhaps I misread what you posted.  You do need to book at the HIA rate to get those perks but not to get the Military, 1st Responder or Healthcare Worker OBC.

Edited by 0bnxshs
clarify
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, carnivaljunkie said:

I checked with HAL again about the other perks on this offer.  You need to book at the Have it All rate to get them.  The $100 on board credit appears to be given to any military (including veterans), health care worker or first responder on the 61 cruises listed. 

Thank you for the updated info. I’m happy with just getting the $100!

On 1/21/2022 at 1:30 PM, carnivaljunkie said:

Thank you so much for sharing this I just got my OBC as a health care worker and would have never known about it if you hadn’t posted this 🙏

38 minutes ago, Live4cruises said:

The benefit hasn’t been change to include all veterans has it?  My husband had 2 years’ service so for us it has to be a veterans promotion, not career/retired.

Thank you

My DH was in the Army National Guard for the minimum required years (veteran, not career or retired).  We applied last week and were accepted.  He does have a DD214 but we did not have to provide it.

Go for it -- nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Edited by kb4683

• 2 years later...

Sorry if this has been asked already. 

I have the Healthcare promotional credit on my onboard account applied (it seems like for both passengers - even though my friend who is sailing with me is not one of the categories this credit is given too).

Can I use it for gratuities? As we are not big spenders, not big drinkers, and I am kind of struggling what we can use it for...

I know if I buy my own onboard credit, I can use it for anything, and even get the rest cashed in the end, if I don't use it. But the onboard credit they give you - I heard somewhere it has different rules - like use it or loose it for example.

Also the last time when we cashed the unused onboard credit, we were able to use concierge for that. It was easy. But this time we are not going to stay in the room with concierge services. Can Guest Services cash your unused onboard credit too?

Thank you very much in advance!

P.S. I know of course that I can use it for SPA etc. But my friend is very frugal, she doesn't go to SPAs. And I am not going to go without her: the main reason we are going on the cruise together, that we can spend some time together, as we live in different states.

I hope it can at least be used for shore excursions - once on board? That would be our last resource.

But I would rather first pay the gratuities with it, as I am the one who is going to pay them anyways. She doesn't even know that she has to pay them, as she doesn't cruise much. So I didn't even tell her about this extra expense :)))

Edited by JoieNsk

5 hours ago, JoieNsk said:

Can I use it for gratuities? As we are not big spenders, not big drinkers, and I am kind of struggling what we can use it for...

We always use our OBC for gratuities if we don't have them on a free promotion. The gratuities are deducted daily on your bill. You can watch your bill deductions/additions on your stateroom TV (we check it once a day to watch for errors). OBC can also be used for shore excursions, drinks (alcoholic and non), specialty restaurants, ....

Edited by jljcruise
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for all the information! I appreciate all the help and good news 🙂 

I just read somewhere that promotional onboard credit was not able to be used for gratuities. 

But maybe it was some other cruise line.

29 minutes ago, JoieNsk said:

I just read somewhere that promotional onboard credit was not able to be used for gratuities. 

But maybe it was some other cruise line.

You may have read that re: HAL, but in reality gratuities will be charged daily, and the OBC will be reduced daily to cover it. 

• Thanks 1