What is travel like with new restrictions, Britannia ?

Cruiseabc12345

Hello,

I'm looking for advice please!

My family and myself are due to go on a cruise in May. I'm very nervous that everything has changed due to Covid and our experience won't be as good as it has in the past. I've been told we will need to join a virtual queue for everything. Has anyone experienced these virtual queues yet? One of our favourite things is sitting in the Horizon restaurant for hours relaxing (Britannia) and I'm terribly worried that has changed a lot also. I'd really love to hear from people who have cruised recently as to what it's like. I'm (reluctantly)considering postponing our holiday. Thank you in advance 

There were no virtual queues for the buffet on Ventura last month.  Just wander in as usual, apart from keeping your mask on whilst not seated.

I think we only used the virtual queue once for the MDR in the evening.  All the other times we just turned up and either got in straight away or took a pager.  Longest wait we had with a pager was maybe 20 minutes.  Didn't use the virtual queue for MDR lunch either, always got in straight away.

I’m sure that I could get used to the virtual queues, especially if there is an option not to use it, but the things that are putting us off at present are all the testing rigmaroles, having to wear masks around the ship, the risk of being turfed off the ship overseas if you test positive or being confined to your cabin for days on end. Once all of that comes to an end then we shall be back cruising in a heartbeat. We have booked some cruises for 2023 in the hope that this will all be behind us, but if it isn’t then we will postpone as it’s not our idea of a relaxing, worry free holiday. 

Molecrochip - if you read this, given that we are starting to ease up on some of these issues on land (well, at least in England), how long before you envisage some of these things being eased on P&O - particularly mask wearing?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

having to wear masks around the ship

I doubt that mask wearing rules will be relaxed any time soon. Personally, on our October cruise, having to wear masks was not nearly as onerous as we had feared. Basically,  we only wore them when walking around the ship, and for the one show we saw in the theatre. No issue at all.  

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I doubt that mask wearing rules will be relaxed any time soon. Personally, on our October cruise, having to wear masks was not nearly as onerous as we had feared. Basically,  we only wore them when walking around the ship, and for the one show we saw in the theatre. No issue at all.  

We had the same experience we felt really safe onboard, mask wearing not a problem half empty ships brilliant, all I can say if you wish for the same experience pre pandemic, than hold fire with your booking until the world returns to normal

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I know that for the vast majority of people including, it has to be said, my wife, wearing masks is but a minor inconvenience, it’s a big issue for me Wowzz. As a glasses wearer, I get sick and fed up with them steaming up (yes, I’ve tried all the top tips - unsuccessfully 😂) and I feel really stifled in them. Walking around a ship with steamed up glasses whilst pushing a wheelchair is a recipe for disaster 😂

I used to use trains quite frequently but won’t use them whilst masks are compulsory. We do all of our shopping online (including food) so don’t have the issue with shops. The only scenario we’ve had to endure is the completely illogical rule to wear them whilst walking in or out of a pub or restaurant, only to remove them the second that you sit down, although I’ve noticed that adherence to that has been 50% at most now. Given that we won’t have to wear masks on land from next week I’m just curious to know how much longer P&O will insist on this. 

BTW, talking of illogical Covid rules, do the P&O ships have ‘one way’ systems, the logic of which I have also never understood?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

As a glasses wearer, I get sick and fed up with them steaming up (yes, I’ve tried all the top tips - unsuccessfully 😂

I too wear glasses, and also suffer from "steaming up". But the air conditioning inside a ship means that this problem does not arise.

• Like 3

I have to wear a mask all shift at the vaccination centre and found the same problem with my glasses steaming up until someone told me about "No Fog" wipes.  After cleaning my glasses with one, the effect lasts for 24 hours (I bought mine from Amazon but I believe you can buy them at some pharmacies)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I too wear glasses, and also suffer from "steaming up". But the air conditioning inside a ship means that this problem does not arise.

27 minutes ago, suekay said:

I have to wear a mask all shift at the vaccination centre and found the same problem with my glasses steaming up until someone told me about "No Fog" wipes.  After cleaning my glasses with one, the effect lasts for 24 hours (I bought mine from Amazon but I believe you can buy them at some pharmacies)

Neither air conditioned environments or wipes seem to make any difference for me. I must just be a heavy breather 😂 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

When I was diving, we spat in our masks to prevent them steaming up. It worked, but I wouldn't recommend that at the moment.

• Haha 2

Being a glass wearer myself never really had a problem with steaming up, but outside of work I purchased some from my favourite football team WW fc they make my glasses steam up really badly but boy do they look good

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

+1. I barely registered it. Maybe because I moved, parked up for a good while then moved again. On facebook someone posted they couldn't get a table in a restaurant even speciality all cruise. That would have been rubbish on Ventura. 4 days it was me and the wait staff in the Glass House at lunchtime. I know an awful lot more about Goa than I did before I can tell you. Plus they know more about NYPD Blue which was the DVD series I was watching and which they meticulously polished glasses to, watching over my shoulder.

Glass steaming sounds difficult. No real advice there. I know Surgeons all have their own trick for operating whilst wearing specs but you sound as if you have tried most things. Some surgeons use eye shields over their glasses might be worth a try

Edited by ccpm

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Have you tried the plastic clips you thread the top of the mask through. 

Yes, I tried clips and still no joy! No matter. Won’t have to wear the ruddy things from next week and hopefully they will be a thing of the past by the time we next cruise! We’ve got quite a few land based holidays booked between March and September but we might go for an Autumn cruise if all the rules and restrictions are lifted on cruise ships by then. 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ccpm said:

Plus they know more about NYPD Blue

Probably my all time favourite cop show, and Andy Sipowicz is the ultimate flawed policeman with a heart of gold .

Sometimes, US dramas are the best !

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Probably my all time favourite cop show, and Andy Sipowicz is the ultimate flawed policeman with a heart of gold .

Sometimes, US dramas are the best !

Totally agree. I like cop shows and wanted something for the cruise. I hadn't seem this but 12 series seemed certain I wouldn't run out. I did 6 on the ship partly along with my new best friends. I felt lost when I finished it last week.

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

If we don't have to wear them here in the UK, I can't see that passengers will have to wear them on the ship?

Wear what?. Policeman's uniforms?. I have never seen a passenger wearing one on a cruise.

End of the day any cruise line can make any rule or regulation they want and if you dont adhere to it you risk being disembarked. If they decide for a period that masks will still be required and worn  then there is no argument you either adhere to the rule or take the risk of the consequences. When we were on QE in November we were told that Cunard hoped to stop staff and cruisers wearing masks in January but obviously Omicron put a stop to that.

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

If we don't have to wear them here in the UK, I can't see that passengers will have to wear them on the ship?

Mask wearing is only stopping in England, the other nations are keeping their mask mandates

8 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

End of the day any cruise line can make any rule or regulation they want and if you dont adhere to it you risk being disembarked. If they decide for a period that masks will still be required and worn  then there is no argument you either adhere to the rule or take the risk of the consequences. When we were on QE in November we were told that Cunard hoped to stop staff and cruisers wearing masks in January but obviously Omicron put a stop to that.

I am on the cusp of paying for my Cunard cruise - I would be less than happy if Cunard stops mask wearing as a requirement. We'd still wear ours, wouldn't be very happy if we were sharing our living accommodation with people that weren't. However, after their experience on QM2 at Christmas, I think masking on Cunard will remain for some time to come. After all, Omicron is still as infectious and cruise ships remain ideal environments for viruses to spread. 

• Like 1

The covid protocol is a bit of a pain but did not have a negative impact on any of the cruises I took last year. 

1 -  Masks need to be worn when walking around the ship, except outside.  This is no different from the rules we have in Wales, and will continue to have, so I am pretty used to it now. 

2 - In the theatre masks need to be worn (obviously) and no eating or drinking (ex water).  Personally I like a drink whilst I am enjoying the show but was not a big deal. 

3 - When doing a quiz, you mark your own papers and cannot swap like you normally would.  beware of the cheating!!! haha

4 - this changes a bit but the buffet is mostly served.  Some was served, other items you could self serve. 

5 - You cannot sit at the bar.  No big deal for me

6 - bars are table service only.  This was a bit of an annoyance if you have to wait.  I just needed to be a bit more patient. 

7 - no more set times and tables and using the 'app' is a pain. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, welshy74 said:

The covid protocol is a bit of a pain but did not have a negative impact on any of the cruises I took last year. 

1 -  Masks need to be worn when walking around the ship, except outside.  This is no different from the rules we have in Wales, and will continue to have, so I am pretty used to it now. 

2 - In the theatre masks need to be worn (obviously) and no eating or drinking (ex water).  Personally I like a drink whilst I am enjoying the show but was not a big deal. 

3 - When doing a quiz, you mark your own papers and cannot swap like you normally would.  beware of the cheating!!! haha

4 - this changes a bit but the buffet is mostly served.  Some was served, other items you could self serve. 

5 - You cannot sit at the bar.  No big deal for me

6 - bars are table service only.  This was a bit of an annoyance if you have to wait.  I just needed to be a bit more patient. 

7 - no more set times and tables and using the 'app' is a pain. 

No 4 all self service now

No 7 app worked well both on iPhone and Android phone we had both

We did the TA in October last year 

• Like 1