best western hotel rome royal santina

txd

We are planning to stay in Doubletree by Hulton Rome Monti, which is fairly close to Termimi as well. Is that a nice area? The reason we're thinking of this hotel is because it is close to Colissuem, etc. 

The other choice is Aleph Rome Hotel which seems to be closer to the Spanis hSteps etc. 

Anyone has thoughts? Thanks 

35 minutes ago, seapad said:

We are planning to stay in Doubletree by Hulton Rome Monti, which is fairly close to Termimi as well. Is that a nice area? The reason we're thinking of this hotel is because it is close to Colissuem, etc. 

The other choice is Aleph Rome Hotel which seems to be closer to the Spanis hSteps etc. 

Anyone has thoughts? Thanks 

Hard to choose between the two in terms of location "niceness" -- it depends more on what you plan to do and see.

The Doubletree is far enough from Termini to be a more pleasant location and may be good for you if you plan to spend more time doing the sites nearer the Colosseum, e.g., Forum, Capitoline Museums, Palatine Hill, Circus Maximus, etc. It is also located near some beautiful churches -- such as Santa Maria Maggiore. There is also the Museo Nazionale near Termini that is hugely deserving of a visit and the wonderful church created by Michelangelo out of the ruins of the Baths of Diocletian (also nearer Termini).

The Aleph -- to me -- is somewhat less conveniently located. I've never been a big fan of the Via Veneto area. You have to walk westward to the Spanish Steps and keep going west and south to Pantheon, Piazza Navona and south to Campo di Fiori areas. Although the hotel itself looks nice.

I would just decide based on what I want to see in Rome and how convenient the hotel is overall, given those two specific hotels. I assume you've selected them because they are Hilton properties. Just do your planning and you'll be fine.

43 minutes ago, seapad said:

Is this a one night stay?  That would impact the decision for me, a multi night stay would be more about the location while I would put more weight on access to transportation for a one night stop over.

The Aleph Rome is not really near the Spanish Steps, it's close to Piazza Barberini, a bit out of the way for a typical tourist stay.

We are staying 3 nights in Rome pre-cruise. The 1st time there so would want to visit most of the tourist sites. We also plan on using the Walk of Italy, so there will be plenty of walks. Just want to pick a hotel that is as "centrally" located as possible (I know there's no such thing as centrally located), but want to see what suggestions, and make our best educated decision and compromise. 

Yes we will be using Hilton points. 

Also we plan on taking the express train to Florence one day as well. 

45 minutes ago, seapad said:

We are staying 3 nights in Rome pre-cruise. The 1st time there so would want to visit most of the tourist sites. We also plan on using the Walk of Italy, so there will be plenty of walks. Just want to pick a hotel that is as "centrally" located as possible (I know there's no such thing as centrally located), but want to see what suggestions, and make our best educated decision and compromise. 

Yes we will be using Hilton points. 

Also we plan on taking the express train to Florence one day as well. 

Which Walks of Italy tour or tours are you doing?  Do you have to meet them at the location or at your hotel?

It is https://www.walksofitaly.com/rome-tours/

Depending on which tours we pick, still reviewing.....the tours all start at the location. 

Welcome to Rome tour: Start at Piazza Navona

A Colesseum tour would start from there 

Another tour start from Roman Forum 

We are thinking if the starting point is reasonably close enough, we can walk over there. If not would you recommend a taxi? Is it easy to grab a taxi anywhere? 

We will also take a train ride to Florence from the Termini. 

23 minutes ago, seapad said:

It is https://www.walksofitaly.com/rome-tours/

Depending on which tours we pick, still reviewing.....the tours all start at the location. 

Welcome to Rome tour: Start at Piazza Navona

A Colesseum tour would start from there 

Another tour start from Roman Forum 

We are thinking if the starting point is reasonably close enough, we can walk over there. If not would you recommend a taxi? Is it easy to grab a taxi anywhere? 

We will also take a train ride to Florence from the Termini. 

Given this info, I would more strongly suggest the Doubletree Monti would be more convenient for you. It should be easy to walk from there to Termini for your train trip to Florence and also to walk to the Colosseum and/or Forum tours. It's about 15-20 minutes to the Colosseum from your hotel, according to Google maps. The longer distance will be to Piazza Navona but if you map it out you could also visit the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain on your way there (or back).

Taxis in Rome are mainly available at taxi stands. You can't really expect to "hail" one on the street. Your hotel can call one for you (or there are apps you can use) but be aware that when you do that, the taxi starts charging you for the distance to come pick you up as well as for the onward journey wherever you're headed.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Given this info, I would more strongly suggest the Doubletree Monti would be more convenient for you. It should be easy to walk from there to Termini for your train trip to Florence and also to walk to the Colosseum and/or Forum tours. It's about 15-20 minutes to the Colosseum from your hotel, according to Google maps. The longer distance will be to Piazza Navona but if you map it out you could also visit the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain on your way there (or back).

Taxis in Rome are mainly available at taxi stands. You can't really expect to "hail" one on the street. Your hotel can call one for you (or there are apps you can use) but be aware that when you do that, the taxi starts charging you for the distance to come pick you up as well as for the onward journey wherever you're headed.

Good to know, and thanks so much! Sounds like taxi may not be as convenient as we had hoped, especially when we are out and about (after the walking tour) and likely wants to get a ride back to the hotel. Any suggestion? Thanks! 

2 hours ago, seapad said:

Good to know, and thanks so much! Sounds like taxi may not be as convenient as we had hoped, especially when we are out and about (after the walking tour) and likely wants to get a ride back to the hotel. Any suggestion? Thanks! 

There are taxi stands near most of the main tourist sites. If you search Google for a map of taxi stands in central Rome, you should be able to find one. Here are some I know of:

• At the front of the train station at Termini
  • Along the right side of the Pantheon (if facing the Pantheon)
  • At the metro station "Colosseo" which is right across the street from the Colosseum
  • Just outside the arcade around St. Peter's piazza
  • Piazza Venezia (just north of the Forum and near the Capitoline Museums)
  • Piazza del Popolo
  • Spanish Steps, just next to the piazza next to the big column with a statue of Virgin Mary
  • Just north of Piazza Navona on Piazza di Tor Sanguigna

Some of these can be a bit difficult to find, but most are pretty apparent once you get there. With these in mind, you shouldn't be too far from a taxi stand to get back to your hotel.

4 hours ago, samavarcruiser said:

Termini is not a safe area, I would highly recommend you to check Hotel Raphaelo 🙂

I would not say Termini is "not safe".  I have stayed close to the train station several times and never experienced any concern walking around and even back to my hotel alone after dinner close to 11pm.

It's far from the prettiest or most charming area, though.

10 hours ago, seapad said:

Lastly, I guess there is tacos take credit card, or should I pay cash? Thank you!!

I would be prepared to pay cash, drivers have been known to claim that the credit card machine "non funzione" (doesn't work) but always ask if you'd rather pay by card.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 5:41 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I want to be certain that I understand this correctly. Will the taxi arrive with a fare already showing on the meter if I ask my hotel to call a taxi?

TIA

9 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

I want to be certain that I understand this correctly. Will the taxi arrive with a fare already showing on the meter if I ask my hotel to call a taxi?

TIA

Yes -- in general that is the case. 

If your hotel is very close to a taxi stand, they may not bother to turn it on -- for example, the Pantheon taxi stand is probably less than 100 yards from a couple of recommended hotels nearby.  

Here is some good info about taxis in Rome. Look under the section "Calling for a Taxi" where it is confirmed regarding the meter when you call a taxi:

Taxi in Rome - Everything You Need to Know (romewise.com)