Will relaxed protocols in England change things?

Scotto97

My wife and I almost cancelled our schedule QM2 Transatlantic schedule for April 24th due to the ongoing mask requirement. We're ok with testing and vaccine requirements (We're 3 jabbers) but IMO, masks absolutely run counter to the experience we are looking for.

I'm asking for opinions on whether masking requirements will be eliminated (At least on East-Bound crossings) over the next few months.

For some background, my wife and I are younger than most Cunard Passengers, and we are going on this crossing specifically for the on-board atmosphere created by Cunard's respect of tradition. (Which we fear will be ending soon), Including the dress-code of suits, Tuxedos, cocktail dresses and formal gowns during the evening. I was lucky enough to marry a stunningly beautiful lady, to which wearing a ugly mask (They are all ugly) would ruin her experience. Also, a crossing in April is destined to be a mostly inside affair, so mask-wearing would be the vast majority of time except while in our suite.(Q4)

When we spoke with Cunard on Monday, they happily pointed out that they are still a British-based company, and the representative felt the changes in English policy could have a positive effect compared to Carnival Corporation's other lines which follow the U.S. CDC guidelines to a tee.......

1 hour ago, Scotto97 said:

....I'm asking for opinions on whether masking requirements will be eliminated (At least on East-Bound crossings) over the next few months....

You will doubtless solicit a few opinions....unfortunately crystal balls are in extremely short supply. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who knows if masks will still be required in 3 months? You might feel differently, but I was surprised at how little of an imposition wearing a mask turned out to be on our December crossing. Especially since we didn't wear it while drinking in a lounge or dining in any of the restaurants. I would rather wear a mask and be able to do a crossing than to forgo the experience. Just my two cents.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

Who knows if masks will still be required in 3 months? You might feel differently, but I was surprised at how little of an imposition wearing a mask turned out to be on our December crossing. Especially since we didn't wear it while drinking in a lounge or dining in any of the restaurants. I would rather wear a mask and be able to do a crossing than to forgo the experience. Just my two cents.

I certainly respect your opinion, but spending $20,000 so my wife can parade around the ship in a breathtaking ball gown while wearing a mask is just not the visual we're looking for. For any normal warm-weather cruise it would be fine. (In fact we just finished a 10 day Caribbean cruise on Princess.) But a Cunard Crossing is all about celebrating the better aspects of humanity..... with a flair for elegance and style.   

Edited by Scotto97
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

I certainly respect your opinion, but spending $20,000 so my wife can parade around the ship in a breathtaking ball gown while wearing a mask is just not the visual we're looking for....

For the record, there will be many glamorous ladies in breathtaking attire so perhaps best stay home at this time. 😉

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Scotto97 said:

For some background, my wife and I are younger than most Cunard Passengers, and we are going on this crossing specifically for the on-board atmosphere created by Cunard's respect of tradition. (Which we fear will be ending soon), Including the dress-code of suits, Tuxedos, cocktail dresses and formal gowns during the evening. I was lucky enough to marry a stunningly beautiful lady, to which wearing a ugly mask (They are all ugly) would ruin her experience. Also, a crossing in April is destined to be a mostly inside affair, so mask-wearing would be the vast majority of time except while in our suite.(Q4)

What do you consider younger? I am 41 and my wife is 34. I have been on my Cunard cruises while my wife is looking forward to her first coming up. We are recent newlyweds in 2021 and this is something of a honeymoon. We are not cruising until January 2023 on Cunard, nearly a year away, and I hope (and expect) that things will be far more open. Who knows what will happen in 3 months but I tend to think they will be better. 

My suggestion is you have to think long and hard about the distinct possibility of the masks still being in use in April. Cruise lines will be slower than other industries in relaxing Covid rules simply as a matter of the environment on ships and recent past cancellations (the QM2 Christmas Cruise being of immediate recollection). If it is an absolute deal breaker you might want to push it back. Bookings and cancellations are in a flux if traffic on the CC Roll Calls are any indication. 

Between now and then we might try a shorty (week or less) cruise from a local cruise port where the relatively inexpensive price would not be a mask deterrent to the level you describe. One thing I will say is that if I was in a Q cabin with butler I we would end up being in-room much more than if we were booked in Britannia. So the mask thing would be less of an issue. 

Thanks for the thoughts planetcadillac. I must admit you're younger than we are (My wife is 44 while I'm 55) I see you've been on 9 Cunard cruises already. Isn't the average passenger age in the mid to late 60's? I would assume it would track pretty closely to Princess Cruises.

11 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

Thanks for the thoughts planetcadillac. I must admit you're younger than we are (My wife is 44 while I'm 55) I see you've been on 9 Cunard cruises already. Isn't the average passenger age in the mid to late 60's? I would assume it would track pretty closely to Princess Cruises.

Depends on the cruise I should think.  I suspect trans-Atlantics would be older average age. We cruised to PNG ex Australia  on a 14 day - and the   typical passenger was probably 50-60ish - very similar to Princess I believe (never sailed with them). We were 58/68 at the time and felt in the majority - but there were definitely a number of 30yos with kids - note the vaccine policy still prohibits kids I think so that will knock out some younger people 

Edited by lissie

Regardless of age I still don’t want to cruise with restrictions to my enjoyment. We have travelled on Cunard for many years. And really enjoy dressing up. So a mask is a no no for me. We have a wonderful and expensive cruise booked for July but alas l think we will cancel until things improve. 

32 minutes ago, devolve said:

Regardless of age I still don’t want to cruise with restrictions to my enjoyment. We have travelled on Cunard for many years. And really enjoy dressing up. So a mask is a no no for me. We have a wonderful and expensive cruise booked for July but alas l think we will cancel until things improve. 

Similar thoughts........

3 hours ago, Scotto97 said:

For the most part, yes, although there is a sizable minority (say 25%) of people my age and younger. Especially Europeans and especially from the UK where Cunard is a source of pride. I first sailed Cunard in 1999 at the age of 21 so I was indoctrinated early. I am a special case though, in 1999 I was traveling with my grandparents to visit family and friends in the UK. My grandfather worked for Cunard for many years and sailed on the original Queen Mary (the one in California now). I accumulated 9 Cunard trips all transatlantic during my trips to Europe and back. I used it as transportation as much as the cruise itself and a number of those trips I traveled alone. The first four were on the QE2 which was known to attract a sizable solo contingency as the ship was originally built in the 1960s when there were a lot of solo travelers. My wife has cruised 6 times all on more casual lines like Carnival, Norwegian, etc. She is concerned about the social atmosphere on board sitting at a table for dinner with a large group and having to face others who are primary her parents age and up. 

I am less concerned about the mask and more concerned about trips being cancelled or abbreviated due to a breakout on board. Most of us that follow the Cunard boards all heard about the infamous Christmas cruise that was cancelled earlier this month and all of the passengers were flown home from Barbados. Without their luggage. Which they eventually got or will get and were refunded. Who wants to be quarantined on a ship. So we will wait until the end of 2022 or beginning of 2023 to lay down any real money on a cruise. We are a few hours drive from a major cruise port. My parents live in Florida next to another major cruise port. So we have the option of picking up a short inexpensive one later in the year on short notice if we desire to test the waters without a lot of risk.  

1 hour ago, planetcadillac said:

For the most part, yes, although there is a sizable minority (say 25%) of people my age and younger. Especially Europeans and especially from the UK where Cunard is a source of pride. I first sailed Cunard in 1999 at the age of 21 so I was indoctrinated early. I am a special case though, in 1999 I was traveling with my grandparents to visit family and friends in the UK. My grandfather worked for Cunard for many years and sailed on the original Queen Mary (the one in California now). I accumulated 9 Cunard trips all transatlantic during my trips to Europe and back. I used it as transportation as much as the cruise itself and a number of those trips I traveled alone. The first four were on the QE2 which was known to attract a sizable solo contingency as the ship was originally built in the 1960s when there were a lot of solo travelers. My wife has cruised 6 times all on more casual lines like Carnival, Norwegian, etc. She is concerned about the social atmosphere on board sitting at a table for dinner with a large group and having to face others who are primary her parents age and up. 

I am less concerned about the mask and more concerned about trips being cancelled or abbreviated due to a breakout on board. Most of us that follow the Cunard boards all heard about the infamous Christmas cruise that was cancelled earlier this month and all of the passengers were flown home from Barbados. Without their luggage. Which they eventually got or will get and were refunded. Who wants to be quarantined on a ship. So we will wait until the end of 2022 or beginning of 2023 to lay down any real money on a cruise. We are a few hours drive from a major cruise port. My parents live in Florida next to another major cruise port. So we have the option of picking up a short inexpensive one later in the year on short notice if we desire to test the waters without a lot of risk.  

Sounds like you may be better off not nominating yourselves for a larger table but rather opt for a table for two so you're dining with a 'known quantity' if you do choose Cunard. I think when you travel on a cruise, or any other form of travel for that matter, part of the pleasure is interacting with people who differ from those you'd normally encounter in your daily life, whether due to their nationality, age, education or occupation/profession as well as their personal interests. Also, you need to be aware that ageism works both ways; older people may view younger dinner companions as a challenge initially to try to find some common ground on which to converse.

If your wife is already concerned about the social atmosphere as you state, you may be better off going with one of her previously chosen lines despite your affection for Cunard.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Scotto97 said:

Sincerely with respect, 55 is not that young, whether we're talking Cunard or anything else.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I heartily agree, and even if mask wearing becomes optional [hope it's still mandatory for when we join QV] we will be wearing ours in closed areas such as a lift.

• Like 1

Don't  hold your breath , as they say , the government hasn't changed cruise ship guidelines since April last year. They seem to be an afterthought. 

We don't mind walking around (inside) with a mask , but hate wearing one sitting down. Couldn't watch a show with a mask on. Luckily we can avoid lifts.

9 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Sounds like you may be better off not nominating yourselves for a larger table but rather opt for a table for two so you're dining with a 'known quantity' if you do choose Cunard. I think when you travel on a cruise, or any other form of travel for that matter, part of the pleasure is interacting with people who differ from those you'd normally encounter in your daily life, whether due to their nationality, age, education or occupation/profession as well as their personal interests. Also, you need to be aware that ageism works both ways; older people may view younger dinner companions as a challenge initially to try to find some common ground on which to converse.

If your wife is already concerned about the social atmosphere as you state, you may be better off going with one of her previously chosen lines despite your affection for Cunard.

When I first sailed with Cunard 30-some years ago, we were definitely younger than the average age. Now, I'm at or (gasp!) slightly above that average. I couldn't agree more about the pleasure of interacting with different people, and age differences (and all the other differences you mention) have never been a problem in enjoying the company of our dinner companions. All it takes is curiosity and an open mind.

16 hours ago, Scotto97 said:

I certainly respect your opinion, but spending $20,000 so my wife can parade around the ship in a breathtaking ball gown while wearing a mask is just not the visual we're looking for. For any normal warm-weather cruise it would be fine. (In fact we just finished a 10 day Caribbean cruise on Princess.) But a Cunard Crossing is all about celebrating the better aspects of humanity..... with a flair for elegance and style.   

How much is mask wearing bothering you? is it just that you don't want to be seen in a mask, or is it looking at a lot of people in ugly masks? Even if masks are no longer required, there will probably be passengers who continue to wear them out of "an abundance of caution," especially if Cunard doesn't extend the vaccination requirement past this spring.

Before you plunk down the final chunk of the $20,000, think about your expectations. it will not be Cunard circa 2019. You will see masks on at least some of the passengers. 

Omicron still remains highly infectious and cruise ships remain environments where it is easy for viruses  to spread. Also, Cunard will be mindful of what happened on the QM2 Christmas cruise, so I can’t imagine for a moment that they’ll ditch the mask mandate in three months time.

Even though masks are not a required in England  from tomorrow, the virus is still highly prevalent, so a lot of people will still continue to wear one.

i’m so used to wearing a mask now, it’s no big deal for me at all.

I paid the balance for my May QV cruise yesterday, and I would actually be quite cross if Cunard dropped the mask mandate as I paid on the basis that everybody will protect each other. Even if mask wearing was dropped, we would continue to wear good quality masks. For evenings, I’m planning to get a couple of sparkly masks to wear for the few hours. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

When I first sailed with Cunard 30-some years ago, we were definitely younger than the average age. Now, I'm at or (gasp!) slightly above that average. I couldn't agree more about the pleasure of interacting with different people, and age differences (and all the other differences you mention) have never been a problem in enjoying the company of our dinner companions. All it takes is curiosity and an open mind.

We completely agree, they say that if you're the smartest or wealthiest person in the room - you're in the wrong room !

Meeting others that are different than you is the best way to expand your human experience, it's truly rewarding once you get comfortable with it.

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m planning to get a couple of sparkly masks to wear for the few hours

In December, there were some very attractive masks. I almost wonder if they weren't custom made to match the gala gowns.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

In December, there were some very attractive masks. I almost wonder if they weren't custom made to match the gala gowns.

How would the Masquerade Ball work if masks are required? I cannot imagine wearing a Masquerade mask and a Covid mask at the same time. (We're having a Masquerade mask created by an artist) 

21 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

How would the Masquerade Ball work if masks are required?

One of our gala evenings was originally scheduled to be a masquerade. It was changed to a non-themed gala evening. That appears to be the case with most of the masquerade-themed events, per BlueMarble's very thorough theme schedules. The consensus here is that the masquerades were dropped, for the very reason you provided.