Ultimate Balcony Dinner

Bgwest

Does anyone know with any certainty whether or not the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is still being offered?

We had one that was moved to a 2022 sailing from a sailing that was cancelled in 2021. Suddenly it's no longer showing in the Onboard Services drop down within our booking for the sailing. 

Also when doing a search for this, I am now finding only Ultimate Balcony Dining (not Dinner) which is now showing as breakfast only. 

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/dining-specialty/ultimate-balcony-dining.html

10 minutes ago, geoherb said:

It was not offered on my cruise last month on the Caribbean Princess. How long before your cruise? I doubt they'll be offering it for the next couple of months.

I have one that was issued for a 4.16.22 cruise and another that was issued for a 4.9.23 cruise. Both of these were transferred from cruises that were cancelled during the pause. 

21 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

I have one that was issued for a 4.16.22 cruise and another that was issued for a 4.9.23 cruise. Both of these were transferred from cruises that were cancelled during the pause. 

Let's hope they can do them again by April. It's my favorite way to celebrate an occasion--or no occasion at all.

Me too. But based on the link I included in my original post, it sure doesn't seem to be happening now. 

I'm in the process of running this by my TA. I'm telling her that if Princess has made the decision to cancel the UBDinner in favor of the UBDining (breakfast), we will be asking for OBC to cover the cost of the UBDinner that we are losing out on. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Why would you get OBC for something that has an additional charge and you have to request it. Care to guess what the answer will be? 

The UBD was something could be ordered ahead of guest's voyage.  Did you consider that - he has sunk cost for something Princess has suspended for the time being?

Edited by Steelers36

7 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Me too. But based on the link I included in my original post, it sure doesn't seem to be happening now. 

I'm in the process of running this by my TA. I'm telling her that if Princess has made the decision to cancel the UBDinner in favor of the UBDining (breakfast), we will be asking for OBC to cover the cost of the UBDinner that we are losing out on. 

I’d try asking for a refund

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The UBD was something could be ordered ahead of guest's voyage.  Did you consider that - he has sunk cost for something Princess has suspended for the time being?

Edited by Potstech

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Precisely. I took the precaution of printing that relevant information from the Onboard Services tab from their website. Specifically:

Culinary Delights

Item Type Delivery Date Price Package Purchased By Cancel
Ultimate Balcony Dinner For Two
Apr 16, 2022 $200.00

If they cannot deliver something which was contracted for, it only seems reasonable that an OBC (or refund) is appropriate. 

Our TA has not yet gotten back with me. 

So judging by everyone's comments thus far, am I correct in assuming that it appears the UBDinner has been suspended/cancelled?

Just now, Bgwest said:

So judging by everyone's comments thus far, am I correct in assuming that it appears the UBDinner has been suspended/cancelled?

Every post on the matter indicates yes.  One could posit that having a waiter wait on you in the open air is less risky than same thing with two waiters in the DR or CG or at the CT/WMD.  I think you and others need to wait until Princess can drop most of their protocols.

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Every post on the matter indicates yes.  One could posit that having a waiter wait on you in the open air is less risky than same thing with two waiters in the DR or CG or at the CT/WMD.  I think you and others need to wait until Princess can drop most of their protocols.

Kinda what we are thinking. At this point, I'd be just as happy with having the UBD converted to OBC. Gonna be interesting to see how Princess feels about this.

I would cancel prior to boarding to obtain the refund to your original form of payment.  On the Grand last week I cancelled a Crown Grill dinner and they would not refund back to original form of payment.   When it did post to my folio it was non-refundable. 

UBD wasn't offered on our Christmas cruise on the Ruby.  I've since read something on here that one of their Covid protocols limits the amount of time any crewmember can spend in your room.  15 minutes or something like that.  So UBD becomes unworkable.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mary Ellen1 said:

UBD wasn't offered on our Christmas cruise on the Ruby.  I've since read something on here that one of their Covid protocols limits the amount of time any crewmember can spend in your room.  15 minutes or something like that.  So UBD becomes unworkable.

I’ve read the same reason however on all of our UBDs the servers never spent more than a total of 15 minutes setting up & delivering the meal. They remained in the hallway & got the next course when they saw we were ready for it. I’m in favor of things to protect crew but as Steelers36 wrote don’t think the UBD is any riskier than for servers in dining rooms or serving the Chef’s Table.

Hopefully the UBD eventually returns because it’s our favorite dining experience.🤞😊

Edited by Astro Flyer

I called Princess yesterday, as we have UBD booked for our March Majestic; there is no time forecast for when they will begin doing UBD again. They did cancel and refund to my original form of payment.

10 minutes ago, jwattle said:

I called Princess yesterday, as we have UBD booked for our March Majestic; there is no time forecast for when they will begin doing UBD again. They did cancel and refund to my original form of payment.

That's encouraging. Thanks!

• Like 1