Status of Eclipse Renovations and Overall Condition

Z-Bird

We are looking at booking a 16 day cruise on the Eclipse and I am hoping for some feedback on her before we make that commitment.

Does anyone know if the Eclipse has been renovated in the last few years?  I saw where renovations were scheduled and then postponed but have not seen anything about them being completed.

On Celebrity, we have only sailed on the Equinox and the Reflection.  While I realize they are all in the same class, how does the Eclipse compare to those 2?  We are considering booking our first suite ever on the Eclipse.  Do her Celebrity suites compare favorably with other Celebrity solstice-class ships?

I know the Eclipse is not sailing right now (we were scheduled to be on the April 2022 Pacific Coastal cruise that was recently canceled), but has anyone been on her in the last 6 months that could share what condition she is in?

I included this photo of her on another post but thought I'd drop it in here too.  This is her moored outside of the San Diego Bay last weekend.

Thanks

IMG_4226.jpeg

The revolutionizing of the remaking ships has been on hold since tge beginning of the pandemic and it is doubtful that it will restart anytime soon.  Revolutionizing a ship is very costly and with the debt the cruise line had to take on to make it through the pandemic that is a expense that can be postponed.

We were on the Eclipse shortly before the pandemic hit and she was in excellent condition.

Thank you, jelayne, for your feedback.  That was the term I was looking for that the Eclipse was due to get in 2019:  revolutionizing the ship.  I can see why those expensive upgrades would be on hold right now.  I am just glad the Celebrity is still in business and that the Eclipse was in excellent condition the last time you were on her.   

We are booked on the Eclipse in Sept for Alaska out of Vancouver 🤞

Just to give you a bit better idea of what she’s like, she’ll compare more to Equinox than Reflection. They’re all S class ships however Eclipse doesn’t have the Lawn Club Grill but the hot glass show in its place. No Porch restaurant either on the Eclipse.  I’m sure you’ll enjoy her though, revolutionized or not! 

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 3:40 PM, jelayne said:

The revolutionizing of the remaking ships has been on hold since tge beginning of the pandemic and it is doubtful that it will restart anytime soon.  Revolutionizing a ship is very costly and with the debt the cruise line had to take on to make it through the pandemic that is a expense that can be postponed.

We were on the Eclipse shortly before the pandemic hit and she was in excellent condition.

Same with us.  She was lovely.  We had a wonderful trip.   

• Thanks 1

This is a good comparison.  Eclipse is laid out like Equinox and Solstice.  She was the first S class ship we sailed on and loved her.  That was back in late 2014 but I'd enjoy sailing on her again.  I see the hull is painted blue so that indicates that the ship had been at least partly "revolutionized" like Equinox.  The hot glass show is one of my favorite things and now that you can participate it's even better.  I think if you chose to sail you enjoy yourself. 

• Thanks 1

Equinox was  only partially Revolutionised. The only reason it wasn’t completed was because of the crane accident, so she had to be taken to Cadiz for it to be completed. The basket ball court was not converted to the Retreat deck, due to lack of time.

Eclipse may have been in dry dock for Maintence, which could have included painting the hull, but that is all.

Silhouette was completely Revolutionised in Cadiz and went back into service 14th February 2020, just before COVID shut down cruising.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info!  We're scheduled on the Eclipse Sept 2023 and were seeing some conflicting info.  We just got off of the Equinox and loved it.  The other info we had seen made us wonder if we should change to the Millennium (we were on the Revolutionized Summit when we started hearing about this thing called COVID).

We are doing our first Celebrity cruise in May 2023 (12 days Hawaii to Vancouver) on the Eclipse. Because of that I have been haunting the Celebrity board here on Cruise Critic.

It has really concerned me that there are very few posts with information about the Eclipse.

We are Platinum cruisers with Princess so I have been trying to learn all things Celebrity.

Thanks for any info on this ship.

34 minutes ago, adstz said:

We are doing our first Celebrity cruise in May 2023 (12 days Hawaii to Vancouver) on the Eclipse. Because of that I have been haunting the Celebrity board here on Cruise Critic.

It has really concerned me that there are very few posts with information about the Eclipse.

We are Platinum cruisers with Princess so I have been trying to learn all things Celebrity.

Thanks for any info on this ship.

What do you want to know? We are scheduled to go on Eclipse in November. She is comparable to other S class ships.  Eclipse has not operated for two years so if you want information, you’d need search that far back to see posts.  Folks can’t comment on what’s happening on a ship that’s been out of service.  

Edited by dcbiker97

We were on Eclipse when COVID reared its ugly head.  We sailed 17 days without getting off the ship (no one wanted us) and were well looked after.  We saw nothing to discourage us from sailing on her again.  In fact we are booked for Apr 23 to Honolulu.

• Thanks 1