LIVE: Regal Princess, February 5-12, 2022: Geoherb goes solo again

geoherb

1 hour ago, CruzinNoony said:

I If they shorted me on my mini bar, I sure as heck would let them know.

The last time all the mini-bar was not there for me, it was because they did not yet have all of it on board. A couple of days later the missing items magically appeared.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Wonderful blog!  We will sail on Regal for the first time in October.  As we love to ballroom dance we would really appreciate anything you can tell us about what dance opportunities are available (and where) if you happen to have a chance to see it.

Happy sailing!

@Carnevale Regal Princess Dance 2/5/2022

Questions about (ballroom) dancing on Regal Princess.

Answer arranged by venue

Vista Lounge aft –

Dance floor is arc- shaped wooden floor in front of stage on the stern of the ship. Dance floor surface is smooth but inconsistent in terms of friction / stickiness. Smoother on center and starboard side where more people dance (due to people flow into lounge). More ship movement than a midship location would have.

Some pre-recorded ballroom music pre-dinner was held there during Jan 27 and 31 sailings. Nobody except us attended and we stopped going because there was no energy. On Feb 5 sailing, we haven’t gone to see the turnout.

Project 5 band normally there at night. They have an amazingly varied playlist. They appear to have a planned playlist for each set, generally 3 sets per night (except when they are providing deck music). They have played some requests. We find more to dance to in sets 1&2; by set 3 they are doing tunes we don’t dance to. We have done some line dances (eg Lonely Drum, Back on Texas Time) that fit the beat. Like many bands and DJs, they can get stuck in a rhythm rut – playing several songs in a row with same beat. We prefer a variety of beats that use our aging muscles and joints differently. They have played East & West Coast swing, hustle, chacha, something we call the Manhattan sling (or as we really call it, the “tap behind”), shag, slow, etc. rhythms. I think they also have played one waltz.

The show band has played in the Vista Lounge. We thought it might be big band, but what they played was more jazzy with rhythms that varied internally in each song. Their music was more appropriate in the Regal implementation of the Wheelhouse bar.

The Regal wheelhouse bar is really just a waiting area outside of the Crown Grill. The small dance circle sits in the hallway on the starboard side of the ship. This is totally different than the Wheelhouse bar we were familiar with on the Emerald. On the Emerald, the Wheelhouse bar has a stage and dance floor. Various acts perform here on the Regal, but unless you just sway to music, you are not doing patterns here.

The Regal Crooners bar had a nice surprise of a small circular dance floor (not wood). On the Emerald, we had to dance in the hallway to elevator. The small floor can accommodate two – three couples doing an east or west coast swing, or relatively stationary chacha, or a small group doing party / free style dancing. Only one couple fits doing a more complex pattern. (Think 16 bars of a UK sequence dance and the space isn’t big enough to do a sequence twice or for two couples). But still a pleasure, compared to Emerald. The good news is that the crowd generally sits and listens because they are there for easy listening or sing alongs.

Club 6 is the disco. During Jan 27 sailing, it was packed with 20-30 something doing club music. Jan 31 sailing was more age varied and music variety. Wood dance floor. We used it off hours to practice.

Princess Live is used for line dance instructions. Nice wood floor. We used it off hours to practice. Line dancing was crowded particularly for COVID times.

The Piazza generally hosted smaller acts – single, duo. Large, non dedicated circular dance area. When we danced, people gave us room and some joined in . “Alex” was particularly good at adjusting what he played to dancing. You might find a classic duo (piano / violin) playing a nice waltz or tango.

Note the Sky Princess deck plan seems to eliminate Crooners, and Wheelhouse bar. The disco appears to be replaced with a jazz club.  Anyone sailed on Sky Princess?

Edited by dance4fun
  • Like 3

"They have taken away the loyalty OBC, along with the free wifi.  "

I noticed that when they went to the Medalian that they eliminated the free wifi in exchange for 1/2 off, but I thought that was just a matter of the different services offered... unlimited access versus a 'free' time allotment.

However, this is the first I have seen about the Loyalty OBC.  I have 22 cruise credits, which means that I had recently been getting a $25 credit when I sailed.  Is this no longer the case?  

IF so, then this just compounds the problem of 2 missing drinks and 2 beer in the mini bar.  In all that would be a $50 swing.  I agree that relative to the cost of the trip that is a small percentage, but I have generally been taking the shorter trips and as a percentage, it starts to add up!  

IF Princess is not going to take care of its 'most loyal customers' how long will it be before that loyalty is transferred to a line that does?

Anyway, I wish everyone great luck on their trip!  I am scheduled to sail in April for 5 days, so I am trying to live vicariously through your experiences until I get to enjoy it myself!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sirclean said:

However, this is the first I have seen about the Loyalty OBC.  I have 22 cruise credits, which means that I had recently been getting a $25 credit when I sailed.  Is this no longer the case?  

Yes, the loyalty credit disappeared last summer before the restart when Princess announced the new Captain's Circle benefits. The change from free internet minutes to the half-price package works for me since they also reduced the cost of purchasing a package. I think the only downside is for people on cruises over 30 days. It used to be they could purchase an unlimited package for less than it will now cost per day.

My cruise last August would have been my first one at the $50 level. It was nice while it lasted.

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Or, it could mean that they are trying to make what little they have last as long as they can.

It's easier to supply a few dozen suites, vs hundreds of elites.

You are right. I ate lunch with a couple who are in a suite. They received them.

• Like 1

@geoherb If you get to Vines - maybe check to see if Ajai ( server ) is there.  tell him the couple from the cruise ending on 1/31 ( we sat in the booth besides the 4 ladies playing cards ) wishes him well in his travels when he leaves in a week or so.

he also took our picture to show to Junela ( server ) who was in Covid quarantine until the day we left.

she was working in Vista lounge.  we had met both on prior cruise(s)

anyway, have a great cruise ... wishing we were still on board ... 4 days was way too short, of course

• Like 1

Just now, geoherb said:

You are right. I ate lunch with a couple who are in a suite. They received them.

It's simple.....do you give something that's limited in supply to a handful of people paying thousands of dollars for a suite, or to several hundred who could be paying less than $300 on a drop & go fare.

The choice is obvious.

• Like 2

The Horizon Court held the pub lunch today. It actually looked a lot better than the previous version in the Wheelhouse Bar on another ship because of the variety of items they had prepared. Here are pictures. I did not eat any of it because I like the vegetarian burritos they served in the dining room. The dining room won't be open for lunch again until Friday.

The last photo is a plate of cream puffs that appeared in my cabin. I'm not sure why. It was a nice surprise to find them there.

20220206_120642.jpg

20220206_120651.jpg

20220206_120700.jpg

20220206_120718.jpg

20220206_135012.jpg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, geoherb said:

we also got the 4 gin bottles and 4 beers ... and the limited 'extra' toiletries  - no biggie to us

we also got a comp upgrade once on board from a deluxe balcony to a premium deluxe balcony.

• Like 1

Yes, the loyalty credit disappeared last summer before the restart when Princess announced the new Captain's Circle benefits. The change from free internet minutes to the half-price package works for me since they also reduced the cost of purchasing a package. I think the only downside is for people on cruises over 30 days. It used to be they could purchase an unlimited package for less than it will now cost per day.

My cruise last August would have been my first one at the $50 level. It was nice while it lasted.

Thank  you for the update!
Not to harp on this too much, and certainly not to dampen the mood of your trip, I will only post this, and resume my lurking and enjoying your posts...
As I can only get away for the shorter trips until I retire, these perks certainly made cruising with Princess my first choice.  While the 'Best Sail Ever' (or princess plus) has some nice thing, it is $40 a day (each) to enjoy.  It included the tips (about $15 day worth), wifi (now saving $5 a day) , and drinks (not sure a savings as the minibar covered enough prior to the cut) , with the Elite gifts, i didnt really need it.  I dont drink more than the mini bar would take me in 4 or 5 days, I didnt need more wifi than I got for free either.  So to replace these (and the $25 loyalty lost benefit ) means an additional $200 each for us.  That could be a 30 to 40% increase in the cost of the trip!  Meaning that IF I had to pay that much more, then I might as well be sailing with my family on Royal Caribbean as that is my sister in law's favorite line.  
I understand that Princess is losing money, and may well for a while longer, but I think it is a bit short sited to have the most loyal customers enticed to start shopping for trips on rival lines.

But enough of my complaining!  I really hope that you all have a great trip!  I look forward to hearing all of the positive experiences you are having on board!!  
Edited by sirclean
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, geoherb said:

Around $15 or so depending on how much waiting time there is due to traffic. The Uber app was giving me a quote of $18 when I checked at the airport.

Thanks so much.  I will pass this along to my son.  Have a great trip and thanks again for the update on the Embassy Suites.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geoherb said:

The Horizon Court held the pub lunch today. It actually looked a lot better than the previous version in the Wheelhouse Bar on another ship because of the variety of items they had prepared. Here are pictures. I did not eat any of it because I like the vegetarian burritos they served in the dining room. The dining room won't be open for lunch again until Friday.

The last photo is a plate of cream puffs that appeared in my cabin. I'm not sure why. It was a nice surprise to find them there.

20220206_120642.jpg

20220206_120651.jpg

20220206_120700.jpg

20220206_120718.jpg

20220206_135012.jpg

Thanks for posting everything through all of your recent cruises. Love the profiteroles. My favourite. My countdown to board my first ship back, is on!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

Is there still a lot of people using the hot tubs?  On all my previous Princess cruises (before the pandemic), between 2-6 p.m., the hot tubs were always packed with people.   

Yes. I walked up by the pools today and saw most of the hot tubs had 4-6 people in them. I was trying to decide if it was shady enough for me to go swimming. I was too early.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avonlady6390 said:

If tonight was formal or dress to impress night that is why you received the cream puffs I received them on last cruise.  I guess that is what the elites are receiving for those nights.

That's what I was thinking. It's a nice gesture. Unfortunately, they weren't that good. I noticed a couple had brought them with them to the Vista Lounge for the cocktail event. They were sharing them with friends.

2 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Yes. I walked up by the pools today and saw most of the hot tubs had 4-6 people in them. I was trying to decide if it was shady enough for me to go swimming. I was too early.

The last 2 sailing had many fewer passengers.  We tend to go into the hot tubs in the morning.  However we were still able to get a hot tub earlier in the morning.

8 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

It's simple.....do you give something that's limited in supply to a handful of people paying thousands of dollars for a suite, or to several hundred who could be paying less than $300 on a drop & go fare.

The choice is obvious.

Then the Princess web site should stop listing it as an Elite benefit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Tonight was a full night. I went to the Vista Lounge event. I wish the listing we received included a listing of the featured item. Tonight was steak tartare. It's not something I eat. But I had a mini pretzel, some veggies, and dried apricots to go with my gin and tonic. There are still plenty of options if you don't like the featured item.

I stopped by Vines for a glass of champagne before dinner. They offered a little bowl of cheese, nuts, fruit, and bread and a carafe of peanuts. 

20220206_180259.jpg

20220206_180521.jpg

• Like 6