COVID testing before the cruise after March 1

AK Dreaming

I might be overthinking this testing issue, but here’s my question: we plan on doing our pre-cruise covid testing at our local drive thru Walgreens. Walgreens lists 3 available tests with results turnaround time- PCR (3-5 days)Rapid Diagnostic test (24 hours), and Rapid Antigen Test (1 hour). I have taken the Rapid Diagnostic Test several times due to exposure and they send an email with results that can be printed and contain all information NCL requires. I’m trying to find out which test is accepted by NCL, and if anyone has used Walgreens testing, and which test did they use?

2 hours ago, paf910 said:

I might be overthinking this testing issue, but here’s my question: we plan on doing our pre-cruise covid testing at our local drive thru Walgreens. Walgreens lists 3 available tests with results turnaround time- PCR (3-5 days)Rapid Diagnostic test (24 hours), and Rapid Antigen Test (1 hour). I have taken the Rapid Diagnostic Test several times due to exposure and they send an email with results that can be printed and contain all information NCL requires. I’m trying to find out which test is accepted by NCL, and if anyone has used Walgreens testing, and which test did they use?

i'm confused too.  I will call the concierge desk tomorrow and ask them.  They're not open today.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 2:10 PM, wilsonsmw said:

Ok, so I might be ignorant here.  I am not seeing anywhere on the NCL Sail Safe page where CVS is an acceptable option for testing.

Can anyone please provide location that CVS is acceptable.  The anxiety of this testing process is making me reconsider.

Thanks for your time

I was on the line with NCL earlier this week and the fella told me to do it at CVS and something about having the result in their app and I can just show it to NCL at the port.  That is my plan.  We are driving down to San Pedro from Idaho to catch the ship, so, the plan is to stop at a CVS in Vegas 2 days prior.

49 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Has anyone tried booking a rapid test with CVS?   When I tried to their site couldn't find a CVS within a 100 miles that could do a rapid test.    

I booked a rapid antigen test with CVS in October.  Sites that do this test are scarce, at least in my state.  I had to travel about 55 miles to get to it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I booked a rapid antigen test with CVS in October.  Sites that do this test are scarce, at least in my state.  I had to travel about 55 miles to get to it.

For our December cruise, no problem getting a rapid test at a drive up location (by local health department) without charge.  Now, things are improving around here and they are shutting down the testing a couple of weeks before our next cruise.  

I was hoping CVS would be the 'easy' answer.  This 48 hours to get tested, receive results and travel to pier in NOT easy.   

Hi, fellow Covid test questioners -

You can get tested at the pier, but it will cost around $125 USD. (That info is from my PCC.)

I did a Google search for covid tests at Port of Miami and about the 6th response down took me here:

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/cruise-line-voluntary-testing

I asked my PCC about this and she said she'd ask her supervisor. (Mind you, she's been with NCL for over 15 years.)

So...best of luck to all of us! And, see you on board 🥰

4 minutes ago, NW Pacific said:

Hoping someone after March 1, replies if in fact, NCL does testing at the Pier, not free I know, but my time online with NCL chat says no, you have to arrive with test results.  so hope someone will start a new thread after March 1

The Sail Safe page has some Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom.

I copied this from one of the FAQs:

If a guest is unable to provide proof of a negative result at the time of embarkation, testing will be available at the terminal at the guests' expense (cost may vary depending on the port and the vendor).

9 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

I hope so, for many reasons, finding a test  in small communities to meet NCLs timeline can be a challenge.  Just hope this pans out right, wish NCL reps could give consistent answers, 

When do you arrive in Miami? You can get on CVS’s website and enter the zip code for a Miami hotel (if you’re coming a day early), and it will list locations where you can book an appointment up to 15 days in advance (as of this post that is through March 6). If you answer yes to any question, and you’re insured, they generally bill insurance. Or you pay $139 at time of service. If you fly, then you answer yes to socially distancing not being possible. 

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/covid-scheduler?symptoms=covid

• Like 4

what a mess, I appreciate the vaccine requirements which are logical and manageable to demonstrate adherence to, but we don't have to test to board a plane or a bus or enter a hotel or a restaurant or a theater show (all the things that a cruise ship is equivalent to) so hope logic prevails and this goes away soon (it isn't on the CDC Cruise Ship guidelines anymore)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Has anyone tried booking a rapid test with CVS?   When I tried to their site couldn't find a CVS within a 100 miles that could do a rapid test.    

I ran into the same problem.  (rapid tests at local CVS unavailable).

You just need to check multiple possibilities.

Our local hospital only wants $170 for the test claiming medicare won't cover it.

A local doc in a box says they will.  Plus they promise results while you wait.  No appointment necessary.

11 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

The Sail Safe page has some Frequently Asked Questions at the bottom.

I copied this from one of the FAQs:

If a guest is unable to provide proof of a negative result at the time of embarkation, testing will be available at the terminal at the guests' expense (cost may vary depending on the port and the vendor).

That's nice but I want a test prior to leaving home for the port.  Why drive six hours, spend the night, then learn that I can't board because of test at the port.  Much better to get the test, know you can board, and then leave home.

20 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

That's nice but I want a test prior to leaving home for the port.  Why drive six hours, spend the night, then learn that I can't board because of test at the port.  Much better to get the test, know you can board, and then leave home.

I totally agree and this is what we did for our December cruise.  However, rapid testing is becoming difficult to find in our area.  The 48 hour requirement plus having to fly to Miami is going to make it very difficult for us to get a result in time to board the plane.

On 2/7/2022 at 11:23 AM, Summerstravel said:

I think for my cruise in April I will probably go with one of the online proctored tests.  Does anyone have the link for them to purchase? I will be traveling in a couple days early for the cruise so this will work best for me. 

They are so easy to do. I have done two so far.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dacsmom said:
  On 2/7/2022 at 8:23 AM, Summerstravel said:

I think for my cruise in April I will probably go with one of the online proctored tests.  Does anyone have the link for them to purchase? I will be traveling in a couple days early for the cruise so this will work best for me. 

From the NCL website under Sail Safe. We cruise in late April and intend to use them if testing is still required.

For guests that prefer to test prior to travel in the comfort of their home or while traveling, we have partnered with Inspired Diagnostics to provide FDA-approved, proctored, in-home antigen testing for our guests. Inspired Diagnostics is a subsidiary of Inspire Health Alliance, a leader in best-in-class health services. Testing at home is safe, simple, and convenient. Purchasing in-home testing kits takes just five simple, easy steps at: https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/.

57 minutes ago, wacruiselover said:

From the NCL website under Sail Safe. We cruise in late April and intend to use them if testing is still required.

For guests that prefer to test prior to travel in the comfort of their home or while traveling, we have partnered with Inspired Diagnostics to provide FDA-approved, proctored, in-home antigen testing for our guests. Inspired Diagnostics is a subsidiary of Inspire Health Alliance, a leader in best-in-class health services. Testing at home is safe, simple, and convenient. Purchasing in-home testing kits takes just five simple, easy steps at: https://inspirediagnostics.com/ncl/.

Here is the link for the "purchase ahead, have video proctored BinaxNow with AG Card."

https://www.emed.com/ 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 3:08 PM, ggTexasGal said:

The Binax Now AG Card tests ordered through E-med are "proctored" (verified) using the "NAVICA" App!

I just noticed that the Binax Now AG Card tests are on the FDA list that most insurances are required to cover at 8 tests per month.  So this is looking to be the ideal option for me. eMed (as noted by @ggTexasGal above) is selling them at 6 tests for $150, and I can just submit it back to my insurance for coverage.

Edited by pghflyer
  • Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 12:34 PM, RocketMan275 said:

i'm confused too.  I will call the concierge desk tomorrow and ask them.  They're not open today.

Just spoke with the concierge desk at Norwegian.  I asked specifically what they meant by a verified third party and if that included things like  a "doc in a box' or pharmacy and was told those would be fine but needed to get the results in writing (email works too).  Basically, as long as it is a licensed health care company.

I wasn't able to find anything close to me from walgreens/cvs/etc.  I need an antigen test and those types of tests aren't offered in a lot of places.  I found two.  One is the local hospital but they want $340 for a party of two.  The second is a 'Doc in A Box' (american family health care) which does the test for free (at least to me).  AFHC has over 200 locations in 26 states and have been in business for over 35 years.  I've used their facilities for a couple of injuries. My wife was exposed to covid a couple of months ago and received a negative test from.  Really nice folks to work with.

I didn't want a PCR test because it make take two/three days for results.

Once again, the concierge desk has been great to work with.  Wait times are non-existent.  

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 8:42 AM, JustSomeLady said:

Oh, and make sure you are getting the rapid antigen test as the rapid diagnostic test is not accepted.

What is the source of this information? If that's true, going to Walgreens is out of the question because almost none of them do antigen tests. (In Florida the closest antigen test on the Walgreens site is in Virginia!) And the PCR test might take 3 days for results, and you need results in 2 days.

That leaves their ID-Now test, a NAAT test, which you say is unacceptable. I have a hard time believing NCL won't accept the only viable test from one of the two major national sources of Covid tests. I suspect they'll end up accepting them or a significant percentage of people will end up being turned away at the port. But it sure would make us more comfortable if they said that.