A nearly empty Joy - 1/29/22

vacruizer

4 hours ago, vacruizer said:

Manoledo.  We were far forward on the port side near the bridge. We wondered if it was because we were so far away from the rest of the Haven suites on that deck. 

That’s not why.  On now and all that I read about butlers is not the current experience.  Maybe he’s just burned out.

5 hours ago, Lucky33 said:

That’s not why.  On now and all that I read about butlers is not the current experience.  Maybe he’s just burned out.

So are you having a good Butler experience or bad Butler experience?  Enjoy your sailing!

15 hours ago, vacruizer said:

I’ve seen lots of questions recently about what a reduced capacity cruise is like. We asked the Joy last week with only 800 onboard and thought I’d share my thoughts and opinions. This was a cruise like no other!

We wanted to cancel originally but didn’t really want FCC so went for it.  About 10 days out our bid for a Haven Penthouse Suite (outside the actual Haven) was accepted at the bare minimum bid so we moved from a deck 11 balcony to a suite on deck 14. The room was huge and beautiful.  With no sailings the two weeks prior to ours we were onboard around 10:30am.  With all the upgrades, the Haven was full and sometimes felt like the busiest place on the ship, although still very uncrowded with the exception of the bar. 

The plus side - no lines for anything. Reservations not needed. You had plenty of room to distance. change dinner time. no problem. Walk right off the ship in port? Easy. 

On the other hand, it was quiet. Bizarrely, weirdly quiet. You could walk into a bar and have two bartenders and four waiters running to help you. Musicians were playing to empty rooms.  Several crew members mentioned how “sad” they thought the empty ship was. It lacked the energy and excitement of a normal cruise.  The first deck part [Latin themed] had maybe a dozen people in attendance and the first sea day the pool deck was nearly empty. A few other thoughts:

• I didn’t love the Haven. I can see why people do. Service was amazing, although I thought it odd we only saw our butler three times and he initially balked at a small request and the only one we really made of him. Restaurant service was phenomenal although food hit or miss. The menu that never changes got old, though. . The crowd didn’t seem as friendly as outside the Haven and I witnessed some really obnoxious and entitled behavior from passengers there. 
  • Food was not great on this cruise and overall was always super salty - more so than most cruises. We ate at Ocean Blue, Food Republic, and one Main dining room meal for something different. There seemed to be an odd salty, spiced seasoning on everything - no matter where we ate. 
  • We did not see any main shows or comedy other than a magician who was ok. Music onboard was mostly great - the Latin band Tropical 4 was fantastic. Also onboard were the Beatles tribute, a rock cover band, several duos, and a piano bar.

• Bars were  normally not full and very easy to grab a seat or a drink. For fans of the Chocolate Cowboy, he’s working the outdoor Cavern Club on the Waterfront. We really enjoyed getting to know him and the bar was normally empty. 

• Crew is currently prohibited from leaving the ship due to Covid at all during their contract and are vocally unhappy about it. Other lines are allowing this and they are aware and looking at leaving. Numerous crew mentioned this to us.  We hope NCL wakes up and sees what this is doing to the mental health of the crew. They all work so hard anyway, but 6-8+ months of never stepping off the ship is getting old for many of them.  

I’ll share some photos shortly and anything else that I think of. Feel free to ask any questions!

Thanks for sharing.  I do hope that NCL listens to it's crew and let's them off.  Also, it is very concerning about the low numbers.  I pray NCL does not go under.

12 hours ago, vacruizer said:

Manoledo.  We were far forward on the port side near the bridge. We wondered if it was because we were so far away from the rest of the Haven suites on that deck. 

The butler was the problem. Butlers rotate their assigned area every few weeks so someone staying in the same suite as you might get a great butler while the bad butler will be working at another area.

We were on the same sailing. Joy was fabulous. Food was excellent. Ate in Manhattan, Savor, Le Bistro, Q, Ocean Blue and La Cucina.  As well as Indian food at buffet. 

Loved the crew. Really got to interact with lots of crew members. All of them were so appreciative we decided to cruise with them. Kept thanking us over and over. 

Shows were beyond awesome. Footloose, Elements  Beatles, magic show in the theatre were unbelievable. Game shows in atrium were soooo much fun. Music, especially, Guns & Rojas were excellent.

Loved this cruise. 

• Like 5

We were on Breakaway which sailed out of New Orleans on January 30.  We had 1200 passengers on board.  In Roatan, we were docked next to Allure of the Seas, I asked a passenger how many they had on board.  She told me 2600.  Judging by how deserted Playa Mia and Little French Key were compared to pre-covid times, I'm guessing all of the ships are sailing at 25%-33% capacity.  

Thanks for your review. We are considering doing the Joy in March.  Our last 2 cruises (Aug and Sept) NCL was not requiring masks only vaccine.  I dont mind wearing mask when walking around ship or in elevators but was wondering if you had to while at the Beatles tribute and venues like that if you had a drink.  Is it sip and cover? Or is it more relaxed?  what if you were in Osheehans (i forget what its called now) around the glass looking down on the band etc...and had ordered food.  Also when you were in ports, did you have to wear them on beach or just in transportation to and from?  Any info would be appreciated and help us to make a good decision for us.

Masks were mandatory.  In theatre and in atrium for any shows. Also in Social club and Cavern club.

If drinking  could remove, but most people would put mask back on right after a sip or two.

In one week...never had anyone else in elevator with us.

Pool was great. If 6 ft apart...which everyone was, no masks at pool.

Restaurants..wear  madk when you entered, then when seated  remove.

It was a great cruise.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ravenjls said:

Thanks for your review. We are considering doing the Joy in March.  Our last 2 cruises (Aug and Sept) NCL was not requiring masks only vaccine.  I dont mind wearing mask when walking around ship or in elevators but was wondering if you had to while at the Beatles tribute and venues like that if you had a drink.  Is it sip and cover? Or is it more relaxed?  what if you were in Osheehans (i forget what its called now) around the glass looking down on the band etc...and had ordered food.  Also when you were in ports, did you have to wear them on beach or just in transportation to and from?  Any info would be appreciated and help us to make a good decision for us.

On the ship it was walking from place to place. If you were seated with a drink or meal most took it off. Everyone was pretty respectful and observed the rules. Outside most unmasked. Ports all technically required masks. On the beach spaced out you could remove. It was ok in January but I can’t imagine how miserable The summer and fall cruises will be if still masked. It’s crazy hot and humid in the Caribbean then. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vacruizer said:

On the ship it was walking from place to place. If you were seated with a drink or meal most took it off. Everyone was pretty respectful and observed the rules. Outside most unmasked. Ports all technically required masks. On the beach spaced out you could remove. It was ok in January but I can’t imagine how miserable The summer and fall cruises will be if still masked. It’s crazy hot and humid in the Caribbean then. 

I've grown used to wearing masks but in really hot weather I get sweaty under the mask and that's not fun. Even before covid/masks we avoided summertime Caribbean cruising because we don't really like weather in the 90+ degree range.

This year we're cruising in May and October and skipping over the hottest months and will probably do the same next year. We currently have January and April cruises for 2023, and if we add another it'll either be an Alaska or Canada/New England cruise in the summer or Caribbean in the mid to late fall again.

21 hours ago, ravenjls said:

Rules JUST changed (again), in March, you do not HAVE to were masks, they are moving them back to cruiser discretion (optional).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oteixeira said:

Rules JUST changed (again), in March, you do not HAVE to were masks, they are moving them back to cruiser discretion (optional).

I heard!!!!  Just booked!  The haven courtyard suites (there were at 11 yesterday) is now down to 2!!!

Thanks for your review, Can you update me on the ports? any restrictions? Did they stop at all ports? what was the vibe? had to wear masks? Anything will help. We are debating if we should cruise Feb 19th.   any covid issues on ship.  thank you

48 minutes ago, Kclovesken said:

How do you find out how many people are onboard your cruise? Can you find out before you embark or is it announced once onboard?

One easy way is to ask the Cruise Next Manager.  They have a complete list of all the Latitudes members, plus a count of the first-timers.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 2:58 PM, ggg196078 said:

Thanks for your review, Can you update me on the ports? any restrictions? Did they stop at all ports? what was the vibe? had to wear masks? Anything will help. We are debating if we should cruise Feb 19th.   any covid issues on ship.  thank you

No issues that I heard about with Covid. We made all ports and all required masks unless outdoors and distanced. 

Vibe was quiet and peaceful. Mostly and older crowd and not much happening by 11pm or so.  This definitely wasn’t a party ship, although we did see some examples here and there of folks who were WAY overserved. This was my 3rd NCL cruise after 20 with Carnival and oddly enough I’ve seen way more of that on NCL than I ever did on Carnival. I’m talking falling down, sloppy, and in a couple cases passed out drunk. I think most people having unlimited beverages included on NCL may be the issue. On Carnival you pay (a lot) for their package and it limits you to 15 a day so fewer people have it. 

1 hour ago, ravenjls said:

Can you please tell what time was the Beatles tribute in the Cavern Club and the days.  I am trying to plan dinners so as to not miss them?

It varied if I remember. I didn’t save the dailies since they were wrong a lot. Not sure if that was due to last minute changes or what, in my opinion, seemed to be a completely slack cruise director and entertainment staff. 

20 hours ago, ravenjls said:

Can you please tell what time was the Beatles tribute in the Cavern Club and the days.  I am trying to plan dinners so as to not miss them?

Beatles in Theatre day 1 - 8pm

Beatles in Cavern day 3 -  730pm and 930pm

Beatles in Theatre day 5 - 730pm

Beatles in Cavern day 7 - 830pm

Every show was different and GREAT!

P.S. Cruise Director, Roberto, was awesome. He and his entire staff were unbelieveably entertaining and activities were abundant. They had activities everywhere!!!!

18 hours ago, vacruizer said:

It varied if I remember. I didn’t save the dailies since they were wrong a lot. Not sure if that was due to last minute changes or what, in my opinion, seemed to be a completely slack cruise director and entertainment staff. 

Was on same cruise. Roberto, Cruise Director was GREAT!!!  He and his entire staff had sooooo many activities. All day and all night long.

Entertainment (music, shows) were abundant and were everywhere.

They were great!!!!!

Dailies were very accurate and packed with activities, day & night.