CC Article on Tipping

Mackdogmolly

I noticed the photo at the top of this article. Good looking crew. I wondered why CC chose a photo of a crew on a cruise line that markets itself as being all-inclusive. There have been discussions about tipping on Azamara with many different viewpoints.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

The article makes a very good point regarding the reduction (due to decreased passenger numbers) of what is usual for all crew members as far as tipping/income is concerned.

Yes, that struck me too. I hadn’t thought about that even when tips are included, the tipping income would be based on number of passengers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Yes, that struck me too. I hadn’t thought about that even when tips are included, the tipping income would be based on number of passengers.

At least the hotel staff shouldn't have to work quite as hard with fewer passengers.  But the engineering staff still has to sail the whole ship.

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

At least the hotel staff shouldn't have to work quite as hard with fewer passengers.  But the engineering staff still has to sail the whole ship.

Actually there is much less than the full compliment of hotel staff onboard and they’ve a lot of extra Covid protocol duties so your not quite on the mark with this one 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm sure the crew would much rather work hard and get more tips. I don't think  a 'holiday' from more guests at the expense of some remuneration will be very welcome at all. 

Thanks Mackdogmolly for posting the story.  Makes one think. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 2

Although Cruise critic used this picture as it’s one of the few pandemic crew photos circulating it doesn’t actually say the position re tips applies on Azamara. Some cruise lines are making up the figure to full occupancy level maybe Azamara is one?  
Some of the points made eg tip up front were a little dubious but I think the genera points made were very valid in the mass market sector. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

I was recently on Oceania Riviera.  The Captain announced that we had 600 passengers (vs. 1250 capacity) and 670 crew (vs. 800 full complement).  So our hotel crew were definitely carrying a lighter load per person.  MDR wait staff in particular were often standing around with nothing to do.  Maybe Azamara is different.