Advice for Cruising with a Group of Teenagers

she_the_cougar

Some GREAT advice above.  Buddy system especially and the Chat feature on cell phones.  They probably love to text anyway so you cannot beat it.  FYI, the chat is NOT really using text but uses the HUB app although it works like texting.  You can have groups of people linked together.  

One thing when I am cruising with a group is that we always designated a certain area of the Lido Buffet as where we will eat.  Whether we are all eating at the same time or not, we always sit in that general area so anyone else coming into the buffet area knows where to look.  Pick an area and designate it.  

Early on, find your table in the dining room.  They will let you in to look and it may be that you are all at different tables.  It is pretty easy to fix if you start early.  Do not rely on talking with Carnival ahead of time and do not assume that if you have different table numbers that it really means you are all at different tables.  

As for elegant, whether there is an elegant night or not, it is up to you and them if they want to wear nice clothes.  If they like dressing up, which I assume they might, then you can make as many nights "elegant" as you want.  There will probably be at least 1 elegant night and how much they dress up is up to them.  Some guests will not dress up at all while others will go all out.  Y'all do you.  

Decorating doors - the doors are magnetic (metal so magnets stick to them).  There are some good decorations on Amazon but you would probably have more fun letting the girls make their own and having a contest to see who was the best.  Big things/signs, little things/signs, leave it to them.  You can even make it more fun by asking the Cabin Stewards and crew who pass by to vote on which is the best.  They would probably like that.  

As others have said, there will be lots of unoccupied lounges during the day and lots of other places to designate as the meeting spot.  When you get on board, find such a place then tell everyone.  You can switch it up each day or keep the same one.  

The girls are probably going to miss the internet.  Internet on the ship is poor at the best of times on the older ships and they will not be able to stream anything or do things they are used to beyond maybe sending e-mail.  However, when you stop in a port, there are planty of free wifi hotspots you can visit and everyone can communicate back home to their hearts content (stay in airplane mode).  Also, check with your (and their) cell phone carriers.  I know ATT has a plan that for $10 per day will give you talk/text/data just as if you were home in many Caribbean counties.  Pay only if you use it.  

Getting a Power of Attorney that include medical is a terrific suggestion.  Your state may have requirements for a POA that differ from other states or the port you are leaving from but all states will recognize and abide by a POA that is valid in the state where the person makes it (Full Faith and Credit clause).  I am an attorney so you ought to be able to get POAs pretty cheap/easy but the key to a POA is properly signing it.  About 85-90% of the things we send out to be signed are returned wrong even though we send color coded instructions so do not rely on it just being fine.  You hopefully will not need it but if you do, it will be worth its weight in gold.  Even if you are out of the country, they will normally abide by it and most laws about permission for treatment have provisions for emergency treatment that would allow you to give consent even without a POA but why take chances.  

Sounds like you have done a great job in getting the girls excited so I encourage you to keep it up.  don't forget a photo scavenger hunt (picture of someone wearing a college T-shirt from your home state, picture of someone with the smallest bathing suit, picture of the tallest woman, picture of someone with the most unigue hair color, etc.)

Also, onboard there is the captain but there is also the cruise director and the hotel director.  Few people really try to contact the hotel director for something other than complaints.  It cannot hurt to write a letter to the captain, cruise director, hotel director and any other officer you can think of asking them to let you know if they would have a few minutes to meet with the girls.  If they do, set a time in one of the empty lounges and you will all love that experience.  When we had Meet and Greets set up through CruiseCritic, we often had one of the main officers attend and it was wonderful.  

One big thing that is overlooked, especially by children.  The crew are easy to overlook but usually really appreciate being spoken to or acknowledged.  Bring some girl scout cookies for your cabin steward?  Make a point to say "hello" when they see a waiter or other crew.  Bottom line, although the cruise is their job, many people will treat them like servants so a little kindness and courtesy goes a long way and can teach the girls an important lesson about how everyone is worth noticing. Just a thought. 

Anxious to hear how it goes. 

• Like 7

Okay, door decorating is one thing that I cannot quite figure out! I've seen tons of people referencing door decorating, but I haven't yet happened upon an absolutely basic tutorial for total newbies. Off to do more research!

Anytime we have been on trips with children included (and especially when they are bunking in a room together) we take the itinerary (ports, tourist interest in the ports, specialty foods, anything to do with the destinations) and have the kids in each cabin come up with a door theme.  Then the adults award different category awards for the best of (theme, colors, most unique, etc) and yes, they each get an award. Also, they have obtained items in the ports that they have added to the doors and enhances the original theme.  

The kids are quite occupied with their cabin mates ahead of cruise researching the ports of call and finding just the right door theme for the contest (and collecting decorating items).  It really adds to the pre cruise excitement and also teaches them a little about each port.  It has always been fun, they decorate on day one and look forward to last sea day awards.  Dont forget to take a pix of each door with the kids standing around it for the scrapbook!  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

Also, just a note ok'ing them to cruise without their parent.  I am happily married, and hubby is not joining us on this cruise and Carnival still advised that I have a note from hubby giving permission for our son to travel without him.  I didn't inquire but assume based on the possibility of a custody dispute etc...I doubt it will be needed, but better safe then sorry.

Yes! My mom had full custody of me but we got a letter just in case. They did ask while flying once. 

• Like 2

I see that others have commented on the power of attorney.

I always had included in the power of attorney the specific medical information that I may need to have to seek medical attention. This should include any medical conditions, prescription medication, and the insurance coverage (policy name, number and the name of the policy holder).

Make sure that the girl is covered by insurance outside the US.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ultrafighter said:

I'm not sure how unless their decorations literally say "we're a group of teenage girl scouts in here!".

LOL - Troop number or girly decorations for example. The decorations should be generic enough that anyone of any gender or age could be using them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, she_the_cougar said:

Fun fact: their entire trip was funded through their Girl Scout cookie sales!

Now that is IMPRESSIVE!!!  I used to be stoked to get a stuffed animal and tee-shirt from my cookie sales...lol...

No seriously though, you are making memories for them that they will never forget...what an awesome troop you must have!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, she_the_cougar said:

Okay, door decorating is one thing that I cannot quite figure out! I've seen tons of people referencing door decorating, but I haven't yet happened upon an absolutely basic tutorial for total newbies. Off to do more research!

on the book of faces, there is a group Carnival Cruise Door Decoration :)

• Like 1

Just now, cruisin*tigger said:

on the book of faces, there is a group Carnival Cruise Door Decoration 🙂

Or just do a google image search...I have never been so cute and creative personally, but it does make it easier to find your room.  I know they have the text feature on the HUB but if for any reason you guys don't plan to utilize that feature having dry erase boards on door can help too to leave notes like "we are at the pool" or whatnot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wgeddings said:

One thing when I am cruising with a group is that we always designated a certain area of the Lido Buffet as where we will eat.  Whether we are all eating at the same time or not, we always sit in that general area so anyone else coming into the buffet area knows where to look.  Pick an area and designate it.  

That is so smart! There will be several different buddy groups around the ship on at-sea days, especially, so this will be such a nice way to make sure we meet up more often.

I also LOVE the idea of bringing some Girl Scout cookies for the crew! We'll have just finished our Girl Scout cookie sales for the year before we leave, so it will be easy to set aside some boxes.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cruisin*tigger said:

You might want to do a group tshirt also.  Angela at Custom Cruise Wear is awesome and will work with you to design a group shirt.  Great examples on the website under the book of faces options for existing sailings.  Great ideas for door banners too.

https://customcruisewear.com/

Or the girls can make their own shirts too....I still have 30+ year old "puffy painted" shirts from my girl scout days.   Not sure the girls would want to "work" on vacation, but I am SURE there is a badge to be earned somewhere on this trip too.....

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - Troop number or girly decorations for example. The decorations should be generic enough that anyone of any gender or age could be using them.

Fair enough.  I still wouldn't see myself being too scared to allow/use stuff like that, but that's me and these aren't my charges.

1 minute ago, ultrafighter said:

Fair enough.  I still wouldn't see myself being too scared to allow/use stuff like that, but that's me and these aren't my charges.

A big gaggle of teenage girls will be noticed on ship by like-minded teenage boys regardless of door hangings LOL...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Many here have given great advice.  My girls (now 30/33) have been cruising with us since they have been 7/10.   We always left post-it notes (nowadays a whiteboard will do) on the door if/whenever anyone changed locations on the ship.  (then again - use hub app - very easy and convenient.)  We had a curfew they had to follow, which we would extend at times if they made a good case for what they wanted to do.  They were not allowed to go into anyone else's cabin.

No sitting on any kind of railing.  They had to eat all meals with us.  Never leave any drink unattended. (good rule in any situation.).   

• Like 4

Stress to the group the importance of knowing where their muster station is, and listen to whatever unfortunately relaxed safety briefing is included.  Make sure they know to follow crew instructions and PA announcements to the letter.  Stress to them that mistakes on a ship can end up in a tragedy.

You may also want to stress that once on the ship, they aren't in Kansas anymore (the US), and that all the "rights" and "protections" they are used to as US citizens no longer apply on the ship, and the Captain's word is law, and he can disembark them at any time for violations of shipboard policy.

Sorry to be a Debby Downer, but safety of passengers is of utmost importance to me, and the crew of your ship.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Stress to the group the importance of knowing where their muster station is, and listen to whatever unfortunately relaxed safety briefing is included.  Make sure they know to follow crew instructions and PA announcements to the letter.  Stress to them that mistakes on a ship can end up in a tragedy.

You may also want to stress that once on the ship, they aren't in Kansas anymore (the US), and that all the "rights" and "protections" they are used to as US citizens no longer apply on the ship, and the Captain's word is law, and he can disembark them at any time for violations of shipboard policy.

Sorry to be a Debby Downer, but safety of passengers is of utmost importance to me, and the crew of your ship.

Nothing wrong with all that as long as you also remind them to have fun, relax, make memories and enjoy the experience....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Momma1980 said:

I would only add one thing. Teenagers don’t think anything bad will happen to them. So be vigilant about sunscreen. A bad sunburn is serious business. 

As a mother of a teenage blonde haired blue eyed Irish boy who NEVER puts on sunscreen...this I could not agree with more!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depending on when you board, pizza for lunch first day!  There is a “hidden” outdoor dining balcony on each side of the aft deck where the pizza is served. Everyone can grab pizza and drinks and meet there. An adult can go first and assemble enough tables to hold them while the girls get their pizza. Later in he cruise these lovely sink spots get discovered but first day usually available for a larger group. 

Magnetic white boards with marker holder are great for doors to leave messages eg “we will be xxx ‘.. probably cheap at a dollar store or online. 

As someone else noted NEVER go into any stateroom whether in pairs or not. I’d say the same for entering a crew area but ships are rigorous in enforcing that with their crew so unlikely to be an issue. 

have fun!  That class ship is my favorite 😻 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, famof4togo said:

A big gaggle of teenage girls will be noticed on ship by like-minded teenage boys regardless of door hangings LOL...

Very true. We cruised 12/26-12/31 and I noticed a large group of teens. They did not cause any problems but there is always some that want to push the limits. This group was big enough to be noticed, seems like more than 15-20.