Advice for Cruising with a Group of Teenagers

she_the_cougar

Later this year, I'll be taking my Girl Scout troop on a 5-day cruise on the Ecstasy. I've done a ton of research and pored over these forums for a while, so I'm pretty confident about our planning so far, but this is also the first-ever cruise for all the teenagers and most of the adult chaperones, so we don't know what we don't know... you know?

We've got dining figured out, I know how to get an extra copy of their room keys, I know to get them signed up for the teen spaces on the first day, I know about how much to expect to pay for taxis in Cozumel, I know Carnival won't let them play BINGO (which they are all VERY sad about, lol!), and I've got them hitting their parents up for reef-friendly sunscreen and waterproof phone cases. What am I missing? They've specifically asked me if there are spaces where we can all hang out together and do "projects" (we'll be bringing travel journals/scrapbooks, because of course!), and if there are "dress-up" nights on our 5-day cruise. I hesitantly told them that I *think* the first sea day has a dress-up night, but I have no idea about open lounge/table space for eight teenagers and their ever-present chaperones.

I will say, too, that watching these kids plan this cruise has been DELIGHTFUL. At our last meeting, I printed out a copy of the Ecstasy deck plans for each of them and they had a fabulous time finding their rooms and shouting out all the other cool places they found. They made cabin rules for themselves that included very important details such as what particular "vibe" will be required for each room, and the exact sub-genres of allowed music. I printed out dining room menus from previous sailings and they spent ages trying to decide what they'd eat each night and debating back and forth about different appetizers, etc. They're fascinated about every small aspect of the trip, and super invested in every detail. I think it's going to be a wonderful experience for everyone!

• Like 17

As a former GS leader who also took her troops on trips, I say you are building memories for yourself as well as the girls.

I have two safety suggestions that work for any trip (you may have though of then yourself).

First: Use the buddy system.  No girl can go anywhere without her buddy (OK - the ladies room doesn't qualify).

Second: Stress to the girls that the chaperones are there to watch out for them and there may be times that the chaperones feel that there is a problem that the girls may not pick up on. Therefore, if a chaperone says that someone has to move or that the group must leave, there is to be no argument. Just do it and and explanation will be made later when the girl or group are safe.  

Ok - third rule I just remembered - I don't know the age of your girls, but you may want to set down some basic dress code restrictions. They may not have learned the basic female rule of life that all men are pigs until proven otherwise and a female must protect herself from the unwanted attention of simply being female.

Remember that you are on a short Carnival cruise where alcohol is flowing freely and comments and actions may be even more prevalent than on shore.

I would definitely give strict guidance on suitable bathing suits, all necklines depths, and hem lengths of any apparel wore below the waist.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Sounds wonderful!!  Regarding "elegant night", even though I don't think there is a scheduled one for a 5 day cruise, everyone can dress up and get pictures done at the number of photo stands available.  I've seen some pretty cute and pretty funny poses done.

Please come back and post a review of your cruise!

• Like 6

I am in a similar situation.  We are a big group of moms traveling with our tackle football team teenage boys.  Sounds like you have done a great job so far and am so glad they are excited.  Are you guys doing set time dining? We are and I think in this given situation it's easier to tell a big group to meet at a specific time vs. figuring out a time that works best for the masses.  I too am a "planner" but often in these situations the best plan is "no" plan.  There will definitely be times where some girls want to go to the water slides...others to get some ice cream...and yet others to play mini putt etc....just make firm rules like curfew....specific times to meet up and don't go near the edge (lol) and then go with the flow.  I am sure everyone will have a blast!!!

• Like 2

Are you aware that your ship may not be the Ecstasy?  Depends on when you are sailing as to which ship.  However, yes, there will be an Elegant night.  My first Carnival cruise in 1999, it seemed the teens brought all those prom dresses that only get worn once…and dressed up every night.  As to places to do games and crafts, there are many lounges that are not used during the day.  The piano bar is one area, and if they sub Elation for Ecstasy, there is a lovely library space.  And if they like bingo, bring their own game and use one of those lounges.  
     As to the menus…remember they can order as many items on the menu as they want.  The crew love for you to sample things.  If they find an appetizer that they loved, they can ask for it again for dessert.  
     How large is the group?  Not including the chaperones?  Ages?

In the past they have done a Behind the Fun tour, visiting places on the ship that the public doesn’t see.  Crew areas, bridge, kitchens, laundry, engine control room…lots of stairs and requires closed toe shoes.  I believe is was $55 pp on Fantasy class ship.  But this has been suspended with Covid.  
     Remind them of the cost of Wi-Fi, and they will need to put phones in airplane mode or their parents will have a heart attack when the bill comes…. EM

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

First: Use the buddy system.  No girl can go anywhere without her buddy (OK - the ladies room doesn't qualify).

I have two DDs who have cruised since they were 4 and 6 (now 19 and 21) and this rule was always in effect.  Especially when my girls became teenagers (before that Mommy was with them) and wanted to do things "on their own", they always had their sister with them.  Security in numbers.👍

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Sounds wonderful!!  Regarding "elegant night", even though I don't think there is a scheduled one for a 5 day cruise, everyone can dress up and get pictures done at the number of photo stands available.  I've seen some pretty cute and pretty funny poses done.

Please come back and post a review of your cruise!

Hubs and I took a 5 day back in November, and there was an elegant night.  It was on the first sea day.  👍  I think it's 4 days or less that there isn't one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ultrafighter said:

Hubs and I took a 5 day back in November, and there was an elegant night.  It was on the first sea day.  👍  I think it's 4 days or less that there isn't one.

That's what I thought but I was corrected on another thread.  I hope you are right.  I have a 5 day in Sept 2022 and I want my elegant night!😎

• Like 1

I can't think of anything else specific but don't forget door decorating is a thing.  I bet they'd have a lot of fun with it.  Maybe even do a little competition. 

Ok, I have one thing - are they required to buy insurance? Or is it covered under the organization?  I know they are young but there is always a chance of a broken arm or something else. Hopefully not.  But as the organizer I'd be wanting to know the ins and outs.  Don't want to be dealing with an emergency and trying to figure it out then. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Second: Stress to the girls that the chaperones are there to watch out for them and there may be times that the chaperones feel that there is a problem that the girls may not pick up on. Therefore, if a chaperone says that someone has to move or that the group must leave, there is to be no argument. Just do it and and explanation will be made later when the girl or group are safe.  

That is such a smart rule! I'm definitely adding it to our list. I have one particular Girl Scout in mind who is particularly disaster-prone (she's the one who almost got hit by the Independence Day parade float, the one who fell off the monkey bars and landed on her head during our Bridging picnic, and the one who was working the cookie booth with me when the store we were in got robbed...), so I imagine that I'll be dragging her and her poor buddy out of danger on the daily, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

And if they like bingo, bring their own game and use one of those lounges.  

I'm so glad you said that! After seeing how bummed everyone was when I told them that BINGO is 18+, I happened upon a sweet $5 new-in-the-box BINGO set at Goodwill and snapped it up with the intention of hiding it in my luggage to surprise them with. But then I got paranoid that Carnival would suspect me of running some kind of bootleg BINGO ring and confiscate it, so I was waffling about actually bringing it. I'm totally going to bring it now!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

I can't think of anything else specific but don't forget door decorating is a thing.  I bet they'd have a lot of fun with it.  Maybe even do a little competition. 

Okay, door decorating is one thing that I cannot quite figure out! I've seen tons of people referencing door decorating, but I haven't yet happened upon an absolutely basic tutorial for total newbies. Off to do more research!

27 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

That's what I thought but I was corrected on another thread.  I hope you are right.  I have a 5 day in Sept 2022 and I want my elegant night!😎

I think there is an elegant night, but no lobster on that elegant night. which might be what people want when they say elegant night.

• Like 1

As far as finding places to do stuff on a cruise ship, between meals they could just go into the Lido deck restaurant. Mid-afternoon they could probably find enough tables together to do their thing. There’s also the game room or even like the Red Iguana or the piano bar during the day when they aren’t open.  It doesn’t say how old the girls are, but assuming they are old enough they can use the middle school or teen clubs as places to hang out without their “ever-present chaperones.”

There’s probably only one dress-up night on a 5-day but they should be prepared for two. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Lol, you'll get it!😁 We're on Our Fav, Sunshine in 10.5 Days🥳 & have had them on every 5day we've been on. Out of Chas. & Jax.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Hub App!!  Have all the girls and chaperones buy the $5 Chat on their Hub App and they can keep in touch with everyone.  If they have cell phones.  Since they are teenagers I'm assuming they do🤣

Good suggestion! 👍 

• Like 1

Although I have never needed or had to show, I always have the parents of the child that are not coming on the cruise sign a power of attorney.  This will give you the ability to make any medical decisions should the need arise.  I also have them sign a letter authorizing me to take the children on the cruise.  I like to be prepared for any contingency.   

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

Although I have never needed or had to show, I always have the parents of the child that are not coming on the cruise sign a power of attorney.  This will give you the ability to make any medical decisions should the need arise.  I also have them sign a letter authorizing me to take the children on the cruise.  I like to be prepared for any contingency.   

Power of attorney/Medical  is essential, especially Medical.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Great advice.  The girls should be told that this rule also include returning to the cabin alone - @Homosassa is correct, the girls need to have a buddy at all times.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Power of attorney/Medical  is essential, especially Medical.

Also, just a note ok'ing them to cruise without their parent.  I am happily married, and hubby is not joining us on this cruise and Carnival still advised that I have a note from hubby giving permission for our son to travel without him.  I didn't inquire but assume based on the possibility of a custody dispute etc...I doubt it will be needed, but better safe then sorry.

Edited by famof4togo
grammer
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Great advice.  The girls should be told that this rule also include returning to the cabin alone - @Homosassa is correct, the girls need to have a buddy at all times.

Another important rule - DO NOT GO INTO ANYONE ELSES CABIN (not with group).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2