Best and worst food on Celebrity buffet

dgoz

7 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

I'm sorry, but I don't get it.  Why buffet when you can go to the dining room and be served plus have a wonderful chat with other cruisers.

We find the dining room too noisy and being served  is not important to us. We do enjoy the chats though . I don't find the food any better. We have never had lunch in the dining room and on each cruise have our evening meal at the quiet buffet several times where we also meet and chat with folks.

A product for everyone

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Froufie said:

I agree - while the dinner and buffet desserts looked beautiful they were not that 'yummy' - we did find some 'excellent goodies' at Al Bacio so ended up there a few times to satisfy the 'sweet tooth'! 🙂

I've also had an excellent German chocolate cake there but all depends on which ship you're on and the chef. Haven't seen it on my last 2 sailings. The mini lemon and chocolate tarts are a nice alternative after a big meal. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

I'm sorry, but I don't get it.  Why buffet when you can go to the dining room and be served plus have a wonderful chat with other cruisers.

In our case, we don’t like to spend a lot of time eating. We like a quick dinner and then hit the lounges for entertainment and drinks. We eat primarily at the buffet for this reason. 😀

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 2:44 PM, dgoz said:

Is the gelato that much better than the ice cream that it is worth paying extra for?

IMHO,  it isn't better. The free ice cream bar has more flavors, more variety day to day, as well as sorbets and frozen yogurt.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I wonder if the reason for this is the bakery dept is on a strict budget and doesn’t use butter and cream or good quality chocolate.  Hmmm

I often wondered that.  For some reason, MDR desserts are often quite good.  Breads are usually very good.

11 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

There are entire threads that ponder that question.  Each person has their own preferences or circumstances.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maya_C said:

IMHO,  it isn't better. The free ice cream bar has more flavors, more variety day to day, as well as sorbets and frozen yogurt.

They discontinued the Hazelnut Gelato it was my favorite. Even better than ice cream. 

On 2/9/2022 at 7:37 PM, cruisingator2 said:

If the crew is serving then we will try the buffet. Other than that we shy away from the buffets. Have witnessed too many nasty things in thirty-six years of cruising. 

2024 will be 40 years of cruising. For the first 30 I pretty much ignored what I saw, the last 10 years, UGH, disgusted with what I see now! Coughers are the worse, hand pickers a close second, and I will call them out or tell the workers that this bumhole coughed\touched all over the food!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's like a civic duty to inform the staff of "sanitation violations" performed by guests raised in the woods by wolves.

Sometimes the buffet is the most convenient if we come back very late from an excursion and/or still dressed in jeans and are somewhat unkempt.  Or if we are tired and just want a quiet and quick meal. 

Remember always being able to find dishes we liked, gosh hope that is still true lately.

On 2/8/2022 at 7:29 PM, dgoz said:

I've watch vloggers take a run through the expansive oceanview cafe. What are the best offerings? What should a skip? I read somewhere to make sure to ask for fresh eggs at breakfast, but don't know much else.

The deserts can be a real disappointment. They have large displays of cakes that look fabulous with different colours, shapes and textures and yet all taste surprisingly similar! 

The sausages are standout bad items for me. They're about as cheap and nasty as you can buy. 

The fish cooked to order can be nice. And some of the Asian food is really good. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 2:58 PM, LGW59 said:

Skip the buffet altogether

Since the main dining room isn’t open on port days for lunch, it’s hard to avoid the buffet.  Not a fan of Celebrity buffet. Pre-pandemic, the crowds alone would be a problem.  Searching for a table and waiting in line to get food reminds me of school cafeterias. Not for me. Can do room service, aqua spa, or pool grill.  In port, eat off the ship. 

• 9 months later...
On 4/6/2022 at 7:48 PM, Momma Rene said:

There are a multitude of reasons.

Don't want to dress up.  Don't want the long dinner/service times...

Less food waste.  You can get the exact portions you want...

Edited by NMTraveller