Best and worst food on Celebrity buffet

dgoz

Love the Eggs Benedict and the variations you can get there.

And I always get the pickled Herring! I know, it’s obviously not made fresh (well, its pickled!), but on board a ship, it just tastes fantastic. When i first had it on a cruise, I got a whole jar of it when we got home and jumped right in…..it just doesn’t taste the same at home. So only onboard ship, or sitting outside next to a canal In Copenhagen. 

Den

I love the Caesar salad station for lunch because I can get lots of anchovies. I also enjoy the nice selection of cheeses. Italian day on the Apex last month was great for cheese - Talleggio is one of my favorites 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I love the Caesar salad station for lunch because I can get lots of anchovies. I also enjoy the nice selection of cheeses. Italian day on the Apex last month was great for cheese - Talleggio is one of my favorites 

And if you run over the the grilled meat you can make it a chicken Caesar.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgoz said:

How do people feel about the doughnuts?

The Berliners are excellent.  The others are so so.

As for the cupcakes and  layer cakes, they look better than they taste.  

Our first Celebrity cruise is next month.  While we rarely use the ship buffet for dinner, it sounds like the buffet is definitely worth checking out for breakfast, lunch or a quick bite.  

I did notice a number of comments that the cakes are visually tempting, but tend to disappoint.  I find that to be true on the other lines that we have sailed.  There are many other options for our calorie splurges.

I second the made to order omelette, just stay somewhat close by so someone else doesn't  grab yours when it is ready!

If you have a drink package, go for the fresh squeezed orange juice and then order some champagne and make your own mimosa.

Agree with ice cream being the only dessert that might be worth the calories.

On 2/9/2022 at 3:06 AM, Bo1953 said:

A question I have, not to really hi-jack the thread yet here goes, is there a place on any ship which is not Luminae or Blu where one can expect to receive 'proper' wait service for breakfast as I do not really care for buffets, personally. LOL

The MDR is semi-buffet during breakfast.

bon appetit and bon voyage

Possibly at an up charge the Grand Bistro on the E-Clsss ships.  Never done it but they list Breakfast as one of their options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 2:56 AM, Laurab23 said:

I prefer a chocolate martini for my desert.

I'm partial to chocolate ravioli for dessert. I've only had it once about 18 years ago and haven't seen it on a menu since.

Oops. It seems I have repeated myself from some pages back. 

Edited by lyndarra

3 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

The best we had was the stir fry station cooked to order. The worst were the cakes; they looked beautiful but tasted blah. 

The carrot cake was the only one I liked. Key lime pie was awful as was Boston cream pie. The cakes at Cafe El Bacio are much better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

The carrot cake was the only one I liked. Key lime pie was awful as was Boston cream pie. The cakes at Cafe El Bacio are much better. 

On our cruises, they were the same cakes but presented differently.  By and large, the cakes look better than they taste.  

6 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I agree - while the dinner and buffet desserts looked beautiful they were not that 'yummy' - we did find some 'excellent goodies' at Al Bacio so ended up there a few times to satisfy the 'sweet tooth'! 🙂

4 hours ago, keesar said:

On our cruises, they were the same cakes but presented differently.  By and large, the cakes look better than they taste.  

I wonder if the reason for this is the bakery dept is on a strict budget and doesn’t use butter and cream or good quality chocolate.  Hmmm

4 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I wonder if the reason for this is the bakery dept is on a strict budget and doesn’t use butter and cream or good quality chocolate.  Hmmm

But breads and rolls are excellent. The Nutella croissant is awesome.

43 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

But breads and rolls are excellent. The Nutella croissant is awesome.

Bread and rolls have a cheap food cost. Flour water and yeast. 
croissants not so cheap. 

On 4/4/2022 at 8:14 PM, keesar said:

The Berliners are excellent.  The others are so so.

As for the cupcakes and  layer cakes, they look better than they taste.  

Is Berliners a fancy word for jelly-filled?

53 minutes ago, Momma Rene said:

I'm sorry, but I don't get it.  Why buffet when you can go to the dining room and be served plus have a wonderful chat with other cruisers.

Well we met one woman at the buffet once who said she ate at the buffet every night because she didn't want to tip!!!  We were shocked.

We were on a 35 day Pacific Circle with Princess in the fall of 2018. We met a lovely couple who ate every meal in the buffet. When I asked them why, they said we don't drink and are more comfortable in the buffet. But I don't know if that was the real reason or not. But needless to say it was a shock to me.

3 hours ago, Momma Rene said:

I'm sorry, but I don't get it.  Why buffet when you can go to the dining room and be served plus have a wonderful chat with other cruisers.

Whilst we love to be waited on in nice restaurants every holiday we will enjoy at least one lunchtime ‘graze’ in the buffet….A nice small mixed salad with a slice of the roast of the day. Perhaps a taste of each of the Indian offers…a nice freshly made to order sandwich….the dish of the day - pie day was fantastic, I ended up with a small piece of two different ones and had to remind myself we were dining in Murano later to prevent going back for seconds!

Just going in with no fixed idea and picking up a bit of this and a bit of that….

Sometimes variety is the spice of life!

• Like 3