Royal Caribbean CEO Remarks - Revisiting Covid Policies

8 hours ago, shutterbug63 said:

If they change policies, they should also require that kids 5 and over be vaccinated.  There's no reason not to since it's available for them now.  I would also hope they'd require the 3rd shot/booster.  I think that's safer, but unfortunately unlikely.

My kids recovered from Omnicron. Why do they need to vaxed? To check an unnecessarily box? Royal should consider natural immunity as a benchmark for someone to be considered vaccinated. Don't go backwards.

Edited by exm
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, exm said:

My kids recovered from Omnicron. Why do they need to vaxed? To check an unnecessarily box? Royal should consider natural immunity as a benchmark for someone to be considered vaccinates. Don't go backwards.

YES!!!!! Yes, a million times YES!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

Science, by its very definition should be "settled".

Science, by definition, is never "settled". It is a continuous, rigorous, and persistent method to advance the understanding of things for which there are no "settled" answers. Science is perpetually evolving, and until the world itself ends, science will never be able to definitively end its search for a better answer.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Science, by definition, is never "settled". It is a continuous, rigorous, and persistent method to advance the understanding of things for which there are no "settled" answers. Science is perpetually evolving, and until the world itself ends, science will never be able to definitively end its search for a better answer.

It is definitely 'perpetually evolving' into a much better end...gonna be awesome soon.

18 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I meant to say never but couldnt go back and edit post after I caught error. 

I agree with you totally. "The Science is settled" on any matter is just used as a weapon to try to silence others

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I meant to say never but couldnt go back and edit post after I caught error. 

I agree with you totally. "The Science is settled" on any matter is just used as a weapon to try to silence others

Thanks. As I see it, a scientific "answer" is a bit like a company balance sheet - it is the best available answer at the instant it is created, but inaccurate a day later. As they used to say, "the only watch that ever shows an accurate time is the one that doesn't work, and it is only right twice a day."

Edited by orville99

17 hours ago, Ashland said:

I would hope that requiring the neg covid test would at least stretch out to perhaps 3 days prior to cruise. That would make things a bit easier for many. 

yes it most certainly would for folks who like to arrive a day or so early.

And one can reserve testing for 72 and 48 hours in case the first one cancels.

I look forward to NO testing since anyone can and does these days get the virus at the drop of a hat and if vaxxed, it is not so bad.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes it most certainly would for folks who like to arrive a day or so early.

And one can reserve testing for 72 and 48 hours in case the first one cancels.

I look forward to NO testing since anyone can and does these days get the virus at the drop of a hat and if vaxxed, it is not so bad.  

I agree on the testing requirements because it only gives you a snapshot of a point and time and people can and do get covid AFTER they have been tested and then board the ship

Its all part of changing the Covid mindset that the virus is on its way to being endemic and no matter what mitigation measures are taken, you will always have Covid cases on a cruise ship...just like any other virus

2 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I agree on the testing requirements because it only gives you a snapshot of a point and time and people can and do get covid AFTER they have been tested and then board the ship

Its all part of changing the Covid mindset that the virus is on its way to being endemic and no matter what mitigation measures are taken, you will always have Covid cases on a cruise ship...just like any other virus

yup and I have a belief that is sort of Darwinesque and that is "survival of the fittest".  shutting down the world did not end the help a lot but perhaps a little bit in some places.    But the 1918 Spanish flu according the history article I read says that year 3 was also a hard year too.

3 hours ago, UNCFanatik said:

Its good to finally see a pivot but its long overdue

Pivots are quite often, long overdue, mainly because there is a lot of momentum pushing a train of thought. We need to be more mindful to push for course corrections, they are easier to achieve, and over time those course corrections will eventually get us to where we need to go.

2 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

In the end hopefully Royal simply starts testing at port. It would make things much easier than trying to find testing.

That's what NCL and Disney did and it worked great with no pre-arrival testing requirement except for unvaccinated kids (which Disney also provided at port the days prior to departure).

Sounds great! The problem is, many people didn't drive to the port and can't easily just go home if they test positive. The pre-cruise testing at least allows you to get your test done before traveling to the port.

2 minutes ago, binro01 said:

Sounds great! The problem is, many people didn't drive to the port and can't easily just go home if they test positive. The pre-cruise testing at least allows you to get your test done before traveling to the port.

No reason both can't be offered as an easy inexpensive alternative.

39 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

I think what we will ultimately see is pre-cruise testing replaced by on cruise testing of passengers who present with symptoms. The working assumption is that if everyone is vaxxed, and the virus evades vaccination to the extent that it presents with mild or no symptoms, then the need to expend the $$ to staff a ship or terminal with testing personnel becomes an excisable cost.

• Like 1