Royal Caribbean CEO Remarks - Revisiting Covid Policies

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

I would hope that requiring the neg covid test would at least stretch out to perhaps 3 days prior to cruise. That would make things a bit easier for many. 

I would almost rather the testing mandate go away before the mask mandate

• Like 18

If they change policies, they should also require that kids 5 and over be vaccinated.  There's no reason not to since it's available for them now.  I would also hope they'd require the 3rd shot/booster.  I think that's safer, but unfortunately unlikely.

Edited by shutterbug63
  • Like 12
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, shutterbug63 said:

If they change policies, they should also require that kids 5 and over be vaccinated.  There's no reason not to since it's available for them now.  I would also hope they'd require the 3rd shot/booster.  I think that's safer, but unfortunately unlikely.

Cruise lines will be changing policies at the soonest minute possible IMO, as I believe they all want to survive.  NCL appears to be the initiator, and will benefit immensely if others don’t quickly follow suit. Comes a point when the bean counters realize 30-50% just isn’t cutting it.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Cruise lines will be changing policies at the soonest minute possible IMO, as I believe they all want to survive.  NCL appears to be the initiator, and will benefit immensely if others don’t quickly follow suit. Comes a point when the bean counters realize 30-50% just isn’t cutting it.

However, 30-60% results in an amazing cruise experience that I'm glad I was able to experience.

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

However, 30-60% results in an amazing cruise experience that I'm glad I was able to experience.

You're not kidding.  We've also had some great experiences, until they were no longer.  Us hard core cruisers will put up w/ the protocols (at least to some degree).....but the general public - not so much.  

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

yes agreed.  I didn't mind the mask on the Grandeur as 700 people were on my NYE sailing.  It was wonderful.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shutterbug63 said:

No reason? What about the "I don't want my kid to get the shot" reason? Why do the under 18, and especially the under 12, age groups have such a low rate of vaccinations? Their parents don't want them to have the shot. Anyway, I don't think you'll see more restrictions coming out. It'll be the opposite.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

The goal of vaccination is to decrease hospitalizations and mortality and morbidity (long haul syndrome). 

In that case, remove the vaccination mandate for everyone under 40 without underlying conditions. The chance of that age group needing to be hospitalised is very small. Not speaking as a medical expert. Just my own opinion as someone who has followed the last two years with a growing sense that some people enjoy the restrictions. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

All the people that I know that got Covid in the last 2 months had 2 shots AND were boosted. 

We were vaccinated and boosted (March for first two, end of September for the booster).  My brother gave us Covid (likely Omicron) on Christmas Eve.  My husband got it 12/28 - and I tested positive 12/29.  It lasted about a week for us - cold symptoms.  I am sure if we hadn't been vaccinated/boosted - our symptoms would have been much worse - as we're both seniors and with health conditions. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shutterbug63 said:

There is a good reason as Children under the age of 12 in the UK cannot get vaccinated as it is not available even privately.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I would almost rather the testing mandate go away before the mask mandate

I feel the opposite.  Although it's a stress and can put a stop to your vacation 2 days before,  needing to board with a negative test is what makes us comfortable to cruise...and feel it's the safest vacation around.  If everyone is negative (except there will always be a few who catch covid after the test prior to boarding) then masks can be dropped....or lessened.

P.S. - I do however feel that cruises should continue under CWC until testing is dropped.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, rjrpar said:

Agree, it’s scary how some will relinquish freedoms so willingly.

There are always people who love to be told how many plants they can have on their front porch and want to make sure their neighbors are exactly the same.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, joetop2467 said:

Moonlinite, the reason you were not very sick is because it was the Omicron variant you were infected with.  The shots don’t work well to prevent it but the symptoms are mild, thankfully.  I’m glad you are doing well.  

This.  

My understanding is the booster is the exact same make up/ingredients as the original two shots.  We were told the original two shots don't help against Omicron.  So why would an additional shot, of the same ingredients, help? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

They don’t need bean counters to know 30-50% ain’t cutting it.  This level of capacity is not sustainable unless they double or triple base prices or find a way to double or triple the average onboard spending averages.   For now they are doing very well on on board spending.  But that will dry up after folks get their first vacation or two in after being locked out for two years.  

In the long run one of two things happening.   A return to crowded ships, or a significant increase in the overall price for cruising.  My guess is capacity increases.  

10 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

This.  

My understanding is the booster is the exact same make up/ingredients as the original two shots.  We were told the original two shots don't help against Omicron.  So why would an additional shot, of the same ingredients, help? 

Because with no antibodies you get infected.   Antibodies wane.   Boosters spike your antibodies.  With sufficient antibodies the vax have seemingly about a 50/50 of preventing the omicron strain.    

T cell memory remains regardless, but there is a delay as those then trigger your body to ramp up antibodies after exposure.  So you get infected and sick, but then the antibodies come in and do there job while you get less sick than you otherwise.  That is mainly what is happening in a very simplistic explanation.  

No one said the shots don’t help overall against omicron.  Just that they don’t work as well, so many that are vaccinated will get infected even with boosters.  Some will get exposed that are boosted and won’t get sick.  There were vax breakthrough cases with all the strains.  It’s just the %s are much higher for breakthroughs with omicron.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

This thread is starting down the very same road as so many others that proceeded it.

It is, but it finally feels as though good things are coming, and soon.  Cruise lines want to survive, and cruisers want to cruise.  Good things need to happen for either (both) of those to occur....and it ain't gonna happen w/ today's logistical requirements.  Gonna be so nice to use the coined adage that's been abused since the restart....'very simple - agree to the approved protocols, or don't sail'.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

It is, but it finally feels as though good things are coming, and soon.  Cruise lines want to survive, and cruisers want to cruise.  Good things need to happen for either (both) of those to occur....and it ain't gonna happen w/ today's logistical requirements.  Gonna be so nice to use the coined adage that's been abused since the restart....'very simple - agree to the approved protocols, or don't sail'.

Agree, but another debate about vaccine effectiveness, or lack of, is going to go nowhere except for another thread deletion.

• Like 9