Ft. Lauderdale hotel

CruiserKris34

Nothing within walking distance.

A few hotels have a free shuttle to the cruise port, while most have a for-fee shuttle.  It's easiest to just take an Uber or Lyft car, since it's on your schedule.  It generally is about $12.00 - $15.00 from the area hotels to the port.  Any of the many hotels around Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) airport will be convenient to Port Everglades. 

Harris

Denver, CO

1 minute ago, CruiserKris34 said:

I tried searching, but not much luck....thinking about flying in the night before the cruise.  Are there any hotels in walking distance or shuttle ride to the port?  Thanks!  Kris

Surprised you are having trouble.

Have a look at the hotels on SE 17 St. You should find Embassy Suites, Holiday Inn Express and Hyatt Place, SE 10th Avenue. All of these hotels are about a 10 minute shuttle ride to Port Everglades.

Randy

There are no hotels "walking distance" from the actual ship. You could easily walk to the port entrance from some hotels, but it's a long distance to the ship from the port gates & I'm pretty sure there is no pedestrian traffic allowed.

We usually Uber, it's an inexpensive ride but last summer we learned that not all drivers have the permit necessary to enter the port! We were picked up at the Hilton Marina & when we got to the gate the driver couldn't produce the right documentation.  After a long time waiting.... blocking traffic : (  he finally admitted that he had never dropped anyone off at the port before. ugh. We had him drop us off at the closest hotel to the gate on the airport side of the port. We requested another Uber.... we asked that driver if she had permission to enter the port. She had no idea what we were talking about and finally admitted she too had never dropped anyone off there. UGH! We ended up jumping in a shuttle that was collecting passengers at that hotel and we finally made it to the Edge. 

Lesson learned, hopefully this saves others from the same frustrations!

We used Lyft and did not have a problem.  We learned the last time we used a taxi not to go that route again.  Taxied charge by distance and time and if the lines to get into the port and or to the luggage drop off are long, there is a lot of waiting with the meter running 🙂

Pre-COVID we would sometimes take the shuttle service from the hotel but now we just arrange a pickup time with Lyft or Uber and enjoy a worry free ride. 

12 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We used Lyft and did not have a problem.  We learned the last time we used a taxi not to go that route again.  Taxied charge by distance and time and if the lines to get into the port and or to the luggage drop off are long, there is a lot of waiting with the meter running 🙂

Pre-COVID we would sometimes take the shuttle service from the hotel but now we just arrange a pickup time with Lyft or Uber and enjoy a worry free ride. 

We have used Uber or Lyft probably 15-20 times to the port in Fort Lauderdale and it was always perfect. I think the problem last summer was there was a shortage of drivers after the shut down so some rookies were driving. We were just "lucky" to get 2 the same day. ; )  From now on though I will ask before we get all our stuff loaded in the car.

Edited by 3girlsmom

On 2/9/2022 at 8:18 PM, 3girlsmom said:

There are no hotels "walking distance" from the actual ship. You could easily walk to the port entrance from some hotels, but it's a long distance to the ship from the port gates & I'm pretty sure there is no pedestrian traffic allowed.

The Hilton Marina and the Renaissance are within easy walking distance of Terminals 2 (Princess) and 4 and are outside the Eisenhower Road security gate.  Pedestrians are allowed past security (you will see passengers on back to back cruises and crew walking to the shops along 17th Street) but the area within the security zone isn't conducive to walking and some of the terminals are quite a ways away from the entrances.

@CruiserKris34 - for definitive information on Port Everglades - including a port/local area map, a ships schedule (7 days in advance), and an entire section on cruising into/out of Port Everglades - go to www.porteverglades.net.  For tourist information on Fort Lauderdale hotels check out www.sunny.org.  Look at their 'cruise' designated information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2022 at 4:34 PM, CruiserKris34 said:

I tried searching, but not much luck....thinking about flying in the night before the cruise.  Are there any hotels in walking distance or shuttle ride to the port?  Thanks!  Kris

Should be no problem finding a hotel with free or very cheap shuttle. What is your budget for a hotel? Which cruise line are you on?

If we go in late in the day and it is just for the night, we like the Hyatt Place. For a couple of nights we'd choose the FL Marriott Harbor or similar usually.

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Should be no problem finding a hotel with free or very cheap shuttle. What is your budget for a hotel? Which cruise line are you on?

If we go in late in the day and it is just for the night, we like the Hyatt Place. For a couple of nights we'd choose the FL Marriott Harbor or similar usually.

Looking for a name brand inexpensive option....we are on Celebrity.  Thanks!

19 minutes ago, CruiserKris34 said:

When are you traveling?  Prices fluctuate greatly between high season (now/winter) and low season (summer).

The Hyatt Place Convention Center off of 17th Street gets many recommendations on here especially when you book through www.ValueTrips.com (usually at a substantial discount).   It is in an excellent location between the airport and the port, with lots of nearby shops and restaurants.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CruiserKris34 said:

That is why it is always important when asking for a hotel to say what your budget is per night in dollars, not just "inexpensive", "reasonable" or "moderate" since everyone has different ideas of what those terms mean.

When you are traveling is important too. A hotel that is "inexpensive" in early March, may not be during Easter Week.

I usually get the Hyatt Place Cruise Port for less than $250.That is in the "reasonable" or "moderate" category to me and it includes breakfast, which given the amount of bacon I eat is about a $30 value per person.

The inexpensive options will be near the airport, which probably means no free shuttle, or even low cost shuttles, to the port.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
4 hours ago, rjack22 said:

About how much is Uber or Lyft to the port from Hyatt Place Cruise Port hotel?   Is it a better rate than a taxi?   I understand the hotel shuttle to the port is $9 per person.

I have tried taxi to the pier and found sometimes they do not show up!  For 2 people it comes out about the same cost, so I go with the hotel shuttle - nice staff and no hassles.  Sometimes you have one or two other stops on the way to your ship though.  FOr one person I would definitely take the shuttle. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2022 at 7:34 PM, CruiserKris34 said:

We've had really good luck with the Embassy Suites on 17th Street
It's a $20 (or so) dollar taxi ride from the airport.
Rooms are a bit dated, but clean & safe,  they have a separate living room (which has a couch fold out bed), bedroom, a couple of TVs.
Behind the hotel there's a shopping center with Marshall's (or TJ Maxx), Publix and couple of restaurants.
They have a good buffet breakfast, a 5 minute Lyft from Port Everglades (I mean you could probably walk it, but toting luggage and getting sweaty before a cruise isn't fun).

• Thanks 2

On 11/18/2022 at 10:46 AM, rutilioact said:

Good to know the names of the local hotels. I will be there in a few weeks on a work trip. I always do my research before visiting an area to know the best places there and how to find the best hotel.

It might be problematic to look for a hotel near me open now upon arrival and panic because of the lack of any place to spend the night. That’s why I prefer to be prepared in advance and find an appropriate and not expensive place in advance.
Usually, I prefer hotels that offer free breakfast, but I will go for an all-inclusive, too, if they offer a better price.

14 hours ago, Lawssons said:

It might be problematic to look for a hotel near me open now upon arrival and panic because of the lack of any place to spend the night. That’s why I prefer to be prepared in advance and find an appropriate and not expensive place in advance. Usually, I prefer hotels that offer free breakfast, but I will go for an all-inclusive, too, if they offer a better price.

Broward County has over 2 million people; finding a hotel is never really an issue. The hotels at FLL seldom sell out. I would not use HotelTonight if I was on a business trip and probably not for the night before a cruise, but neither would I book a hotel 6 months out. As a business traveler I often book at 14 days or less.

And as far as I know, there are no all-inclusive hotels in South Florida; that is more of a Caribbean/Mexico thing.

6 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

Hyatt Place 17th st cruise port  on se 10th street. Will not stay anywhere else.

We just booked this for a future cruise.  Many good reviews.  Will let folks know how it goes.

Cheers