The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

12 hours ago, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Haven Secret:

In your suite, you have a mobile phone.  You can take it with you and call your butler from anywhere on the ship. 

Gary, can you expand on this please? details. have you utilized?

I've never used it.  But as an example, you could be by the pool, want some sandwiches, and call your butler to bring you some.  

i only ever used the mobile phone to call my butler from within the room to order room service. yes, it works everywhere on the ship, but i just never felt the need.

some people will pick up the regular phone to order room service while in the room... but that only delays things. use the mobile to be connected to your butler.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question about Haven showers. Is the forward penthouse the only room with a shower that doesn't require stepping over the side of a tub? I know the two bedroom family suite has a walk in shower separate from the tub, and the forward penthouse has the same. Do any others? The combo tub and shower is a deal breaker for my parents in terms of staying in the haven in a room of their own, vs. the out of the haven penthouse, which is a longer walk, obviously. They'd consider a room within the Haven if it had a shower separate and easy to enter, but I didn't see any other than ones that are much larger (owners, or family) in my online searches, if anyone can verify. 😃 

Edited by Lunesse

5 hours ago, Lunesse said:

I have a question about Haven showers. Is the forward penthouse the only room with a shower that doesn't require stepping over the side of a tub? I know the two bedroom family suite has a walk in shower separate from the tub, and the forward penthouse has the same. Do any others? The combo tub and shower is a deal breaker for my parents in terms of staying in the haven in a room of their own, vs. the out of the haven penthouse, which is a longer walk, obviously. They'd consider a room within the Haven if it had a shower separate and easy to enter, but I didn't see any other than ones that are much larger (owners, or family) in my online searches, if anyone can verify. 😃 

It depends on the ship. Breakaway aft have separate showers, but Epic aft has the shower inside the tub.

1 hour ago, FLcruisergrl said:

It depends on the ship. Breakaway aft have separate showers, but Epic aft has the shower inside the tub.

On Breakaway and Getaway, Forward Facing Haven, 2 Bedroom Haven and the Delux owners all have seperate Shower and Soaking tubs. I have stayed in both the forward and 2 bedroom and honestly the best bang for your buck when it comes to the Haven I would say the forward. Only downside is the balcony on forward is very small and the simple fact that your not in the haven area. But I absolutly loved the forward facing suite. 

Ah I should have mentioned the ship. Derrrrrrrrrr. 😃 This would be on the Bliss. It seems the same, and they don't need a two bedroom. Right now we have two forward facing suites booked, but they are juggling it with their age etc. They are totally mobile, and don't mind the walk now, vs. my Mom trying to get in and out of a combo shower tub, but it's next summer and you know, who knows what they/life will be like by then in your 80s. 😃 Sometimes her leg is quite painful and she will see what a Dr. says long before we go. Being up in Haven itself would be less walking and would help with that, but... the shower thing is the show stopper. It seems that is where we will (happily most likely) stay, then. 

Edited by Lunesse

57 minutes ago, Lunesse said:

Ah I should have mentioned the ship. Derrrrrrrrrr. 😃 This would be on the Bliss. It seems the same, and they don't need a two bedroom. Right now we have two forward facing suites booked, but they are juggling it with their age etc. They are totally mobile, and don't mind the walk now, vs. my Mom trying to get in and out of a combo shower tub, but it's next summer and you know, who knows what they/life will be like by then in your 80s. 😃 Sometimes her leg is quite painful and she will see what a Dr. says long before we go. Being up in Haven itself would be less walking and would help with that, but... the shower thing is the show stopper. It seems that is where we will (happily most likely) stay, then. 

@LunesseI want to approach your question that way I would handle it.  My assumptions are you will be on the NCL Bliss, In the Haven, in the Forward Facing Suite.  I just went on the NCL Website for the Bliss.  I went to the suite layout link.  You have a separate shower and soaking tube.  

On the walk.  The Haven Proper is on the Aft of the ship.  This is a big ship.  If you are going on the Bliss for the Haven Experience, it will cost you a kind of long walk.  The Benefit of the Foreword Facing Suite is the balcony size and suite size.  If you were in the Haven Proper, you would have less walking to the Observation Deck, Haven Bar/Restaurant, Haven Sundeck.  Your suite and balcony will be smaller. 

I hope that helps you.  I use the room detail links all the time.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

4 hours ago, Lunesse said:

Can you get the ADA room? 

We had the Haven Courtyard Penthouse with Large Balcony (ADA) when we sailed in March. The shower and the tub were completely separate and the walk-in shower was good size with the pull down bench to sit and shower. It was also close to the Haven entrance and to the entrance to the Haven lounge where the bar, concierge and elevator to the restaurant are.  I wanted to get that room again, but it was booked for our next sailing. There is a little bit of a walk through the pool area to get to the Haven observation lounge (it has a name, but it's escaping me right now) though not too far at all.  Any time we do the Haven again, I want to try for that same room ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hm, I don't know about the ADA room. But my Mom can walk, she just is very unsteady on stairs, etc., or climbing over a bathtub wall to get in the shower.  I would hate to block someone who needed it a lot more, but I will mention it to them.  She just called and said "when the day comes I need a placard for my card, I can do a room like that guilt free." She was grateful for the info, so thank YOU for that info,  and she said as the sail date gets close if one happens to be available still she'd consider it. 😃

Edited by Lunesse
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lunesse said:

On the Bliss' older sister the Escape, the shower has a small lip. Our cabin had a sloping ceiling (front of the ship). That being said, it was a hike to get to the forward elevator bank and up to the Haven Lounge/Restaurant. 

image.png.4298c1daee6510e1a2f14d83685bb894.png

We have also had the ADA penthouse on the Escape in the Haven proper. The shower is designed to be wheelchair friendly, so there is no lip at all. The tub is narrow so that you can easily get to the grab bars from everywhere in the tub. The room is super big because it is wheelchair accessible. 

image.thumb.png.cd611ee9c12966855205b4a6026c0ee1.png

image.png.409d8ce2a388cacc4e6432e7a2076981.png

• Like 1

That little lip will be fine, it's the relatively giant step and steadiness needed to get over the tub wall. She can do it, it's just not easy, so the lip is a cakewalk in comparison. Getting old, it's not for the weak! I am grateful they are both still kicking around, my Dad still plays golf a few times a week at 83.  Thank you so much for the photos. I will send them on to her. 😃 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2022 at 11:30 AM, Sthrngary said:

@BklynBorn47That is one heck of a story.  Thank you for sharing.  I am sure you will get your Haven Bid and have a nice time.  Let me know how I can assist.  

Cruise well.

TY so much for that beautiful letter! A great starting point for me! I'm trying hard to get my head wrapped around this lvl of srv. all it encompasses & how it works. I'm learning so much in a short time! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Justmekaren918 said:

A great starting point for me! I'm trying hard to get my head wrapped around this lvl of srv. all it encompasses & how it works. I'm learning so much in a short time! 

You're at the place for it.  Mr. Tilkin has provided a wealth of information, stemming from his predilection for being a master planner.  To be sure, as he himself recently pointed out on a new thread, no-one else's experience in the Haven is assured.  As the slug in microscopic copy at the bottom of all the commercials for investment firms puts it:  "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

But what Mr. Tilkin highlights is the benefit of planning and preparation---it may not guarantee the same results as he enjoyed, but it certainly increases the chances for it.  I particularly appreciate his posts because I, too, am a disciple of planning.  The more I can know in advance, the easier I rest.  And the Good Mrs. Benson is perfectly happy to let it all happen as magic.

I have referenced Mr. Tilkin's information repeatedly, particularly over the past few weeks, with our September cruise rapidly approaching in the headlights.  And, so far, it's worked out splendidly.  On four occasions, I've contacted the Norwegian concierge desk with requests for information or matters to be addressed.  Invariably, the folks on Norwegian's end have been prompt, gracious, efficient, and extremely helpful.

I have our letters to the concierge and our butler prepared.  (I agree with Mr. Tilkin's rationale for them; however, I understand others may not for their own valid reasons.)  Our dining reservations are in place.  All that really remains is the on-line check-in, which won't be accessible until this Friday, and I have all the neccessary dates, numbers, and documents ready the instant it is.

Much of this I gleaned from the planning Mr. Tilkin reported undertaking in his original post and others.  Additionally, it got me to thinking of other considerations not mentioned in his preparations.  Such as engaging Luggage Forward to deliver our bags to the ship and then return them home at the end of the voyage.  I'm getting a bit too old to porter luggage through airport terminals and having nothing but a small carry-on streamlines things considerably.

Does that mean something won't blow up in our faces?  That some experience in the Haven won't disappoint?  Of course not.  The world's full of too many variables.  But we've narrowed down the chances.  That's the take-away from this thread---the awareness of preparation.  And that is the grand benefit Gary Tilkin has brought to the table.

Edited by CDR Benson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the odd question, but what has been peoples experience with the Haven on Joy?  Only reason I ask is that Joy has SO MANY MORE Haven staterooms available than just the regular Haven proper, Forward and Aft Haven Suites.  They also have about 44 other Haven staterooms on decks 14 and 15 in just he middle/forward (we are in one of those).

So anyone cruised in the Haven with a full ship, likely pre-2019?  

I want to gauge what we can expect when we try to visit anything in the Haven proper (Horizon Lounge, Bar, Library, Restaurant, etc).

5 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Sorry for the odd question, but what has been peoples experience with the Haven on Joy?  Only reason I ask is that Joy has SO MANY MORE Haven staterooms available than just the regular Haven proper, Forward and Aft Haven Suites.  They also have about 44 other Haven staterooms on decks 14 and 15 in just he middle/forward (we are in one of those).

I want to gauge what we can expect when we try to visit anything in the Haven proper (Horizon Lounge, Bar, Library, Restaurant, etc).

@scooter6139I have recently cruised on the NCL Joy both in the Haven and outside of the Haven.  The % percentage of guest on the Joy has nothing to do with the Haven on the Joy.  The Haven is ALWAYS sold out so keep that in mind.  NCL does the bid up program and Haven is the prize. 

On to your more than valid question.  I have a unique perspective on this. My first trip was a 100% booked Haven and my family of four was in the Haven Proper.  This is my experience and only my experience. 

1. Haven Courtyard Pool and Hot tub:  This was the week after Thanksgiving on purpose.  I did not want all the families that cruise during the thanksgiving holiday.  Been there and done that, CHECK. This area was never crowded, ever.  The Joy has a retractable roof over the Courtyard and I never saw it closed.  
  2. Haven Sundeck:  This surprised me.  It was crowded not over crowded but crowded all the time.  More on Sea days of course.  You could always get a chair but sometimes it was in the corner.  Not my experience on other Haven cruises.  I looked over the wall at the Vibe Beach Club which is double the size of most Vibe Beach Clubs and they were empty.
  3. Haven Bar:  This bar is small.  They serve drinks to the Bar, Haven Restaurants and other areas like the lounge in the Haven and the Horizon Observation area. It was always busy, they were very good about keeping people in the order they came to the bar for a drink.  I was a bit taken back by two folks that literally never left their seats at the Haven Bar for the entire week.  This only left six seats at the bar open at any given time.
  4. Haven Restaurant: Never once had an issue getting in.  Food and service were over the top in my opinion.  
  5. Haven Horizon Observation Lounge: Never and I mean never crowded. Great selection of foods but limited.  Starbuck High-End Automatize Coffee Machine that was great. I spent lots of time here and just above n the very quiet Haven library.  
  6. Side Note: After this lovely and "Once in a lifetime family vacation in the Haven", I went back on the NCL Joy a few months later as a "Solo" traveler. I was NOT in the Haven, I did have a Club Suite.  I would say 15 to 20 people in the Haven were there because of all the blogs I do on the subject and they gave me reports.  On day one, I asked to have "ONE" drink at the Haven bar which the who remembered Concierge allowed.  I NEVER went back because I did not pay for the Amenities and there for did not deserve them.  My fellow CruiseCritic.com members that were in the Haven told me my observations above were on point.  That trip the ship was almost completely filled. Yet nothing changed in the Haven which was also completely filled yet again.  On this "Solo" trip I purchased the Vibe Beach Club Pass for a week and basically lived in there.  I loved it.  I call that Haven Lite.  I would have never done the Vibe if I had the Haven Sundeck.  Yet, the Vibe experience was better than the Haven Sundeck Experience. 

That should give you some foundation.  You can ask me anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, pno4te said:

We just changed our Escape booking from an aft-facing club balcony to an accessible courtyard penthouse in The Haven.  I am headed back to the beginning of this delightfully written thread to see how much we are going to enjoy our first cruise in The Haven.  We have often cruised in MSC's Yacht Club and we are looking forward to comparing the two experiences.  We in fact get off the Escape and jump on the Seaside B2B in July out of Civitavecchia.  32 days and counting!

Checking in - how did the Haven compare to the MSC Yacht Club?  Wish there were more comparison's available.  Celebrity Royal Suite vs Haven etc.

On 7/24/2022 at 4:16 PM, cruisebeachgirl703 said:

Haven Secret:

In your suite, you have a mobile phone.  You can take it with you and call your butler from anywhere on the ship. 

Gary, can you expand on this please? details. have you utilized?

The best use we've found for this phone is to stay in touch with friends/family traveling with us in non-Haven rooms. They can call us while we're at the Haven bar to let us know it's curfew time and to start cutting ourselves off to join them in steerage.

On 8/22/2022 at 2:00 AM, Lunesse said:

We were in an aft room on Encore #14880 (sister ship to Bliss) and there was no step up for the shower. Just walk right in. Tub was separate and the room was huge, came with 2 toilets as well. But it was a far walk to the Haven courtyard area.

6 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

I'm sailing Haven on Joy in a bout 2 weeks... will try to give current feedback on how things are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sailing out of New York in February on the Gem. Since it will be too cold to use the outdoor pools for the first few days and since I will be in the Haven, do they keep the roof over the Haven pool closed for the first few days?

@Homeport5 My family has stayed in the Haven twice, Pearl in 2018 and Getaway this past March.  We also were on MSC Seaview at the end of May this year in the Med. This is a bit long, so if the OP doesn't think it is appropriate, have it removed.

We loved our stay on the Pearl even though it isn't the "full" Haven experience. We were in a 2 BR Family suite with 6 of us. This made it a more economical stay. It was great to have two private areas, but we still had 3 in one room. The Concierge was wonderful and we enjoyed the breakfast and lunch offered for Haven guests. There wasn't a dedicated dinner location, which was a bit of a downfall, but we had 3 specialty restaurants which worked OK. We loved the quiet Haven pool area and sun deck. There were hardly ever many people in there, but pool was small.  It was very helpful for us on this particular trip to have express on/off ship priority.  We frequented the bar outside the Moderno and LOVED their staff. The downfall was it didn't open until 4 PM.  I think staff were more personable on the smaller experience with fewer Haven passengers though. 

Our stay on the Getaway was similar in a 2 BR. At this time it was my husband and I, 24 year old son and his GF, 21 and 17 year old daughters. Embarkment seemed very disorganized and we weren't even escorted to the Haven.  The room was a bit cramped, but still an OK value having a full cabin. The Getaway is full Haven experience with it's own lounge and restaurant. The downfall is the menu doesn't change and the restaurant has very few window seats. I thought the food was great, but could use more variety. The rest of the family got a bit bored. They were able to get variety and check out the buffet which was close. The restaurant service was OK. They seemed a bit disorganized and it sometime took quite awhile to get through a meal. The MaitreD was very accommodating to help my daughter with vegetarian options and wanted to make her happy. He check with her earlier in the day about options.  I liked that we had a bar, which we didn't really on the Pearl, BUT it was always very busy and longer waits than I expected.  We had servers in the pool/deck area, but it was pretty infrequent and forget ordering food off their menu because it was super slow. 

So, I'll just do a quick pro/con of YC. We embarked in Naples, Italy, the experience was different than what I read from people here. The embarking process was definitely better than NCL.  We had a group of six again and had three rooms, for less than the price of the 2BR on NCL. So privacy was a pro. The YC area is definitely superior. It is at the front of the ship with views all around. Service was impeccable, maybe too over the top. There wasn't the same kind of "banter" with the bartenders, so maybe not quite as fun. The sundeck was a lot larger, larger pool, better food setup and availability.  We liked not having to provide a card every time we gots drinks. The restaurant was great and the menu changed every day. Service was more organized. Other pros: we each got Wifi on two devices, there is a mini bar in the room, they will bring drinks to your room and something that surprised me most was that the family loved the free access to the thermal pool/spa area, which was wonderful.  My family preferred our MSC YC experience, but still really enjoyed the Haven.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

@Homeport5 My family has stayed in the Haven twice, Pearl in 2018 and Getaway this past March.  We also were on MSC Seaview at the end of May this year in the Med. This is a bit long, so if the OP doesn't think it is appropriate, have it removed.

We loved our stay on the Pearl even though it isn't the "full" Haven experience. We were in a 2 BR Family suite with 6 of us. This made it a more economical stay. It was great to have two private areas, but we still had 3 in one room. The Concierge was wonderful and we enjoyed the breakfast and lunch offered for Haven guests. There wasn't a dedicated dinner location, which was a bit of a downfall, but we had 3 specialty restaurants which worked OK. We loved the quiet Haven pool area and sun deck. There were hardly ever many people in there, but pool was small.  It was very helpful for us on this particular trip to have express on/off ship priority.  We frequented the bar outside the Moderno and LOVED their staff. The downfall was it didn't open until 4 PM.  I think staff were more personable on the smaller experience with fewer Haven passengers though. 

Our stay on the Getaway was similar in a 2 BR. At this time it was my husband and I, 24 year old son and his GF, 21 and 17 year old daughters. Embarkment seemed very disorganized and we weren't even escorted to the Haven.  The room was a bit cramped, but still an OK value having a full cabin. The Getaway is full Haven experience with it's own lounge and restaurant. The downfall is the menu doesn't change and the restaurant has very few window seats. I thought the food was great, but could use more variety. The rest of the family got a bit bored. They were able to get variety and check out the buffet which was close. The restaurant service was OK. They seemed a bit disorganized and it sometime took quite awhile to get through a meal. The MaitreD was very accommodating to help my daughter with vegetarian options and wanted to make her happy. He check with her earlier in the day about options.  I liked that we had a bar, which we didn't really on the Pearl, BUT it was always very busy and longer waits than I expected.  We had servers in the pool/deck area, but it was pretty infrequent and forget ordering food off their menu because it was super slow. 

So, I'll just do a quick pro/con of YC. We embarked in Naples, Italy, the experience was different than what I read from people here. The embarking process was definitely better than NCL.  We had a group of six again and had three rooms, for less than the price of the 2BR on NCL. So privacy was a pro. The YC area is definitely superior. It is at the front of the ship with views all around. Service was impeccable, maybe too over the top. There wasn't the same kind of "banter" with the bartenders, so maybe not quite as fun. The sundeck was a lot larger, larger pool, better food setup and availability.  We liked not having to provide a card every time we gots drinks. The restaurant was great and the menu changed every day. Service was more organized. Other pros: we each got Wifi on two devices, there is a mini bar in the room, they will bring drinks to your room and something that surprised me most was that the family loved the free access to the thermal pool/spa area, which was wonderful.  My family preferred our MSC YC experience, but still really enjoyed the Haven.

Great Summary, Thank you.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

We have stayed in the Haven and also the Suites on the non-Haven ships. We loved the service in both types of experiences even though it also meant Cagney's for breakfast and lunch only. We have also sailed the YC on MSC (Seaside and Seashore). To me it is really different experiences and I agree the prices are less on MSC and the level of service is different. Everyone bent over backwards to ensure you had a great time. We did find our Seashore Butler to be not as wonderful as on the Seaside. Even though we are low key we would need to remind him to fill our fridge with more beer 😂. We will lose our Diamond aka used to be Black status as we will not be sailing on MSC within their one cruise every three years to keep it. I found that once we requested something the NCL Butlers were always on point. Post-COVID on POA both Jeffrey (Butler) and Gulsen (Concierge) hit it out of the park. I am looking forward to the Haven on the Escape with my adult daughter for her 1/2 century birthday in 2023. 

• Like 1

For folks who have used their butler for room service morning coffee delivery, does it always have to be requested for a specific time in advance, or can you call and ask for it when you wake up? If you do it that way, how long would you expect to wait for delivery?

That^ made me think of another coffee-related question: am I out of line to ask for heavy cream (or heavy whipping cream) for my cabin so I can use that instead of half and half?

It’s just a preference, and I won’t die if I can only get half and half (and I don’t use the flavored stuff, sorry), but I would hope I would be able to secure a small pitcher of HWC to keep in our mini fridge for coffee.

Thanks in advance!