The NCL Haven Luxury VIP Experience "Secrets" REVISED for 2022

Sthrngary

Sthrngary, that is an interesting point about the power going off in the suite. I wear hearing aids that charge over night by being plugged in. I wonder how I will get around that. If I keep the key card in the slot, and just turn the lights off will that work? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Branbay said:

I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread and plan on using some tips I've read here on our upcoming Haven cruise this coming July.  From what I've read, only two U.S. electrical outlets are in the Haven suite, so I plan to bring some non-surge protector power strips with me.  Do you think I could ask the butler for these?  Thanks    

If available, your butler could bring them to you. It depends on if you have them. You can request these through the pre-cruise concierge, but your experience may be different from others. You just really can't know until you get on the ship.

As for outlets - have you confirmed this for your specific room/category? In my experience, there are more than two outlets. I've cruised in a Haven Penthouse (not courtyard) on Getaway, an aft Haven w/ master bedroom on Getaway and a Haven Suite on Joy. All three of these rooms had at least four, if not more outlets (double plug outlets). You might be pleasantly surprised by the number of outlets. Or, you could be correct depending on the ship and suite category.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pezgirlroy77 said:

Sthrngary, that is an interesting point about the power going off in the suite. I wear hearing aids that charge over night by being plugged in. I wonder how I will get around that. If I keep the key card in the slot, and just turn the lights off will that work? 

@pezgirlroy77 That will work perfectly.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Branbay I have an idea for you.  I use a Cpap.  They bring me a power strip and special water for my Cpap.  Another idea is what I do also.  I bring a round power strip that also has USB on it (Purchased on Amazon).  I plug it in and have never gotten any push back.

Remember, when you lights are off, the power in the suite also goes off.  This is how they save electricity when you are not in the room.  I have been on ships where they have card in the front that keeps the power on and also when only your key card when you are in your room will keep the power on.  Just an FYI.

Thank you Sthrngary, I appreciate the suggestions.

41 minutes ago, pezgirlroy77 said:

Any card will do.  A credit card, debit card, old gasoline card.  It doesn't even have to be one works. It can be a card that is expired, etc.  You can even keep the room key card from the hotel you were in the night before the cruise.  BTW, when we were on Breakaway in an aft haven, there was a business card in the slot.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Any card will do.  A credit card, debit card, old gasoline card.  It doesn't even have to be one works. It can be a card that is expired, etc.  You can even keep the room key card from the hotel you were in the night before the cruise.  BTW, when we were on Breakaway in an aft haven, there was a business card in the slot.

I use an old hotel room key card.  I want to keep the air conditioning going when I am sailing in hot climates.  Make sure you ask your steward to leave the card in place.  I have had experiences where the steward removed the card when making up the stateroom.  After requesting that from the steward, I've never had them remove the card after that.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I use an old hotel room key card.  I want to keep the air conditioning going when I am sailing in hot climates.  Make sure you ask your steward to leave the card in place.  I have had experiences where the steward removed the card when making up the stateroom.  After requesting that from the steward, I've never had them remove the card after that.

Removing the card may be standard procedures unless otherwise requested.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

Our suite was one of the HI suites on deck fifteen.  We boarded the ship just before 1100.  After about an hour in the Haven Lounge, we dropped our carry-on in our suite without problem.  We could have done it sooner, but we were enjoying the libations in the Haven Lounge.

We just got off the Encore Sunday. We boarded as soon as the ship was clear.  We walked on, the concierge gave everyone a ‘briefing’ of all the Haven offers.  When he was done, he announced all the rooms were ready.  This was all before noon.  We dropped our bags and went to explore!  The announcement for rooms ready for the rest of the ship was quite a bit later…maybe 3 pm.

• Like 1

I would love to hear from anyone who has done a gathering or cocktail type of event in their stateroom. I'll be sailing on 7/22 on the Bliss (Aft Haven stateroom) and have family who are sailing with us. We would like to throw a surprise party for my mother's 75th and sister's 50th birthday. I started by emailing the concierge desk and after a few emails back and forth, I found out that the date and time we would like should be fine. This week I called the concierge desk to confirm a couple of dining requests and asked about food/beverages for our gathering. The person I spoke with told me to contact special events and gave me that information. Then, I sent all the information to special events but they emailed me back and said that since our event would be for only 8 people, they can't help us and that the concierge desk should help me.

I would love to find out if anyone else has tried to host a gathering in their stateroom, how they arranged the details, what food or beverage options were available, and any other details. 

We know there will be extra charges and we are totally fine with that. If it's handled by our butler, we will also tip extra for this service. I'm just wondering if I'm going to end up just ordering things separately (using the gifts & more options to order things ahead of time) to get a cake, maybe some food, and drinks. 

I'm hoping someone else has tried to do something similar and has some advice to share.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, teachinginhawaii said:

I would love to hear from anyone who has done a gathering or cocktail type of event in their stateroom. I'll be sailing on 7/22 on the Bliss (Aft Haven stateroom) and have family who are sailing with us. We would like to throw a surprise party for my mother's 75th and sister's 50th birthday. I started by emailing the concierge desk and after a few emails back and forth, I found out that the date and time we would like should be fine. This week I called the concierge desk to confirm a couple of dining requests and asked about food/beverages for our gathering. The person I spoke with told me to contact special events and gave me that information. Then, I sent all the information to special events but they emailed me back and said that since our event would be for only 8 people, they can't help us and that the concierge desk should help me.

I would love to find out if anyone else has tried to host a gathering in their stateroom, how they arranged the details, what food or beverage options were available, and any other details. 

We know there will be extra charges and we are totally fine with that. If it's handled by our butler, we will also tip extra for this service. I'm just wondering if I'm going to end up just ordering things separately (using the gifts & more options to order things ahead of time) to get a cake, maybe some food, and drinks. 

I'm hoping someone else has tried to do something similar and has some advice to share.

Thanks!

@teachinginhawaii We hosted an island sail-away party on the Gem for about 4 couples and their kids. 3 Haven, 1 non-Haven family. We spoke with the concierge and butler, arranged for dessert / veggie / sandwich and snack trays, popcorn for the kids, and then a few bottles of sparkling wine, Tito's and other mixers. It was very spontaneous - we asked in the morning for an evening set-up at 1700. 

It was a lot of fun and our butler kept checking on us and refilling us as needed (and fed the kids so many cookies that i'm sure no one slept that night!). We tipped extra for the courtesy and other than giving the non-Haven couple a quick tour of the Haven area, we kept to our room / balcony. The only thing the butler could not do was open the balcony divider between ours and our neighbor's cabin (they were part of the gathering). 

We kept the noise down, the kids were well-behaved and we had a blast. Again, as mentioned on this and other threads, the ability to have this gathering was at the discretion of the concierge / butler but polite requests, grateful appreciation and a tip seemed to work pretty well. 

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

22 hours ago, teachinginhawaii said:

Thanks!

The aft Haven cabins are not inside the actual haven complex.  You will have no issues inviting anyone to your cabin at any time

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

The aft Haven cabins are not inside the actual haven complex.  You will have no issues inviting anyone to your cabin at any time

That was part of why we booked the aft cabin. No one else in my family would even dream of spending the money on a Haven cabin. My husband and I love the Haven cabins so booking an aft stateroom was essential for this trip. I am also very aware that only our cabin is a Haven stateroom and that while they can be in our cabin at any time, the benefits are for just the two of us. The good news is that even though we're sailing as a group, we all have our own plans for most of the days.

13 hours ago, amygutman said:

@teachinginhawaii We hosted an island sail-away party on the Gem for about 4 couples and their kids. 3 Haven, 1 non-Haven family. We spoke with the concierge and butler, arranged for dessert / veggie / sandwich and snack trays, popcorn for the kids, and then a few bottles of sparkling wine, Tito's and other mixers. It was very spontaneous - we asked in the morning for an evening set-up at 1700. 

It was a lot of fun and our butler kept checking on us and refilling us as needed (and fed the kids so many cookies that i'm sure no one slept that night!). We tipped extra for the courtesy and other than giving the non-Haven couple a quick tour of the Haven area, we kept to our room / balcony. The only thing the butler could not do was open the balcony divider between ours and our neighbor's cabin (they were part of the gathering). 

We kept the noise down, the kids were well-behaved and we had a blast. Again, as mentioned on this and other threads, the ability to have this gathering was at the discretion of the concierge / butler but polite requests, grateful appreciation and a tip seemed to work pretty well. 

Warmest, Amy

Aloha Amy!

It's the food and drinks that I am most interested in knowing more about. I'm really hoping to order some food and beverages for the event to be brought to (again, we're okay paying for it).  

Did the concierge/butler provide you with options and prices for what you ordered?  

We will also be tipping extra if we can make this happen. It's kind of a special family cruise because while it's to celebrate birthdays, it's going to be even more special because my sister has just been cleared to sail by her doctor after having brain surgery. Celebrating her 50th and my mom's 75th birthday as a family has been a motivating factor through all the medical issues.

Mahalo for sharing what your group was able to do!

Jen

• Like 3

Morning all!  First time NCL cruiser on 6/25 and also doing the Haven.  Apologies if this is already in the thread, I searched but didn't find it, but in chatting via email with the concierge desk I was informed that entertainment reservations for the the big shows (in this case Choir of Man on the Escape) could be made for Haven guests at 26 days out in the app.  Can confirm I was just able to do that.  Was kind of hoping that would also include online check in but no such luck 🙂

In double checking I wasn't posting something already obvious, I just reread the luggage tag part in the main post.  We're 26 days out but haven't received any luggage tags, is this normal or should I contact someone (and does it really matter, can we get new ones at the port)?

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, aroundtheriverbend said:

Morning all!  First time NCL cruiser on 6/25 and also doing the Haven.  Apologies if this is already in the thread, I searched but didn't find it, but in chatting via email with the concierge desk I was informed that entertainment reservations for the the big shows (in this case Choir of Man on the Escape) could be made for Haven guests at 26 days out in the app.  Can confirm I was just able to do that.  Was kind of hoping that would also include online check in but no such luck 🙂

In double checking I wasn't posting something already obvious, I just reread the luggage tag part in the main post.  We're 26 days out but haven't received any luggage tags, is this normal or should I contact someone (and does it really matter, can we get new ones at the port)?

Thanks!

Are you not able to do online check in?  Usually I just print the luggage tags that are included with the paperwork you get with the online check in.  

Edit: Online check in opens 21 days before the cruise but I don't know if that is different for Haven guests.  Also, yes you can get luggage tags at the port if you need to.  

Edited by Liljo22

2 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Are you not able to do online check in?  Usually I just print the luggage tags that are included with the paperwork you get with the online check in.  

I believe online check-in is 21 days out. 

5 minutes ago, aroundtheriverbend said:

Thanks!

It was my understanding that reservations for on-board shows could only be made through the Haven concierge, once one was on board the ship.  That's what we did, as soon as we were brought into the Haven, and we had no problems reserving the shows we wanted at the days and times we wanted.

A certain section of seating in the ship's theatre is reserved for Haven guests.  So, it's likely you'll get the reservations you want.

WRT luggage tags, we did not receive ours at the indicated benchmark, either.  I contacted the pre-cruise concierge.  I was given some softshoe about the tags being delayed in issuance and assured that they were in the mail to us.  And they did arrive about ten days before our departure date.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Are you not able to do online check in?  Usually I just print the luggage tags that are included with the paperwork you get with the online check-in.

I'd forgotten about the printable luggage tags in the on-line check-in documentation.  As Liljo22 recommends, I printed the tags from the check-in documents, too.  I inserted them into clear sleeves for attachment to my luggage.

For this purpose, I found the tags I printed from the check-in documents worked better than the tags I was sent directly from NCL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, aroundtheriverbend said:

Here's a thread dedicated to Haven luggage tags and arrival times (or not...)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CDR Benson said:

It was my understanding that reservations for on-board shows could only be made through the Haven concierge, once one was on board the ship.  That's what we did, as soon as we were brought into the Haven, and we had no problems reserving the shows we wanted at the days and times we wanted.

A certain section of seating in the ship's theatre is reserved for Haven guests.  So, it's likely you'll get the reservations you want.

WRT luggage tags, we did not receive ours at the indicated benchmark, either.  I contacted the pre-cruise concierge.  I was given some softshoe about the tags being delayed in issuance and assured that they were in the mail to us.  And they did arrive about ten days before our departure date.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the luggage info!  

Just to clarify on entertainment, you CAN make just the "big show" reservations ahead of time (not the comedy shows, dinner shows, etc).  Normal guests 21 days, apparently Haven guests 26 days as I just made and got a confirmation for Choir of Man.  Another perk of Haven I guess! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2023 at 10:22 PM, teachinginhawaii said:

That was part of why we booked the aft cabin. No one else in my family would even dream of spending the money on a Haven cabin. My husband and I love the Haven cabins so booking an aft stateroom was essential for this trip. I am also very aware that only our cabin is a Haven stateroom and that while they can be in our cabin at any time, the benefits are for just the two of us. The good news is that even though we're sailing as a group, we all have our own plans for most of the days.

Aloha Amy!

It's the food and drinks that I am most interested in knowing more about. I'm really hoping to order some food and beverages for the event to be brought to (again, we're okay paying for it).  

Did the concierge/butler provide you with options and prices for what you ordered?  

We will also be tipping extra if we can make this happen. It's kind of a special family cruise because while it's to celebrate birthdays, it's going to be even more special because my sister has just been cleared to sail by her doctor after having brain surgery. Celebrating her 50th and my mom's 75th birthday as a family has been a motivating factor through all the medical issues.

Mahalo for sharing what your group was able to do!

Jen

@teachinginhawaii Aloha to you as well!

I think folks have posted the different drinks and food per-order options this but there is also a “tray”  list that you can obtain from your Concierge. This includes things like veggie trays, fruit trays, sandwich trays. I believe they need 24 hours and the prices vary but not terribly expensive especially if you’re feeling a crowd.

Once, our concierge actually brought us three full pizzas from the Buffet when we asked for another game night. There was a small cost for it I think like $10 a pie, and we tipped the Butler, but it was a really awesome treat. 

Have a fantastic time!

warmest, Amy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aroundtheriverbend said:

Thanks!

@aroundtheriverbend  You have had so many great replies to your questions.  All me to add on:

• Big Shows Only:  If you want to lock the in, do it at the Haven Port desk when you check in or with the Haven Staff when you get on board.  I can tell your are a detail person so am I.  I assure you, it will be NO issue.  On the smaller shows like the Cavern Club, it is first come, first served for all gets. 
  • Luggage Tags:  Again you have been given great advice.  All me to give you what I do ever single time.  I print the luggage tags after I do the 21 day on-line check in.  I have special plastic with metal fastener devices I purchased from Amazon.  I find what NCL sends to look pretty and not work so well.  Some have actually been pulled off. 
  • Lunch Your First Day:  I always recommend the Haven Restaurant even though you will have a complementary Specialty Restua4ant Lunch usually the American Dinner. For me, the food is better. 
  • Make Your Specialty Restaurant Reservations Early:  You have access to making your specialty restaurant reservations at 130 or 125 days in advance.  Do it and be done with it. I know the Haven Staff can always change them but we are both planner. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CDR Benson said:

40 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Big Shows Only:  If you want to lock the in, do it at the Haven Port desk when you check in or with the Haven Staff when you get on board.  I can tell your are a detail person so am I.  I assure you, it will be NO issue.  On the smaller shows like the Cavern Club, it is first come, first served for all gets. 

There was a change a couple months ago regarding show reservations. Right around March 1st'ish...I guess that's three months now. 

Haven guests can now pre-book the "big shows" 26 days in advance of the cruise. These include the Broadway shows and some others, depending on the ship. For example, on my sailing in March, I was able to pre-book "Footloose" and "Elements." Guests traveling, not in the Haven, have the ability to pre-book these shows at 21 days. 

Of course, there will likely be room when you board, so as mentioned above, feel free to check-in with the Haven Concierge when you board the ship. Sometimes the concierge will come into the Haven Lounge to take reservations (December, NYC). Others, they'll mention the ability to book when you get to the Haven on your tour (April/Sept, 2022, NYC; March 2023, Miami). 

I'm glad you were able to pre-book @aroundtheriverbend! Have a phenomenal Haven cruise! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, amygutman said:

Once, our concierge actually brought us three full pizzas from the Buffet when we asked for another game night. There was a small cost for it I think like $10 a pie, and we tipped the Butler, but it was a really awesome treat. 

On a music cruise we hosted a small show later one night in our suite and we were going to order trays, but the butler suggested that we just get pizzas and have him bring wings from O'Sheehan's instead. We did that, and he brought veggies and cookies from the buffet as well and it worked out perfectly. 

He also arranged the furniture for us to give more open space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi.

I am in the Haven on Joy in August.

I have sailed Haven before and thought I had made ressies for comedy shows prior to boarding.

We will not being going to the "big show" but want the comedy show.

I thought I remembered they use to scan your card at the door to see if you had a reservation.

Is this still the case and if so, how do I do this for comedy unless I need to wait to get the concierge the day I board.

Thank you.