Covid test before cruise

WhoDatNation

10 minutes ago, DB2VA said:

Rapid test is fine. And now you are allowed to take it 3 days ahead of your cruise.  This is as of March 1st and if you had your vaccines and a booster if eligible. 

What is everyone's definition of "booster if eligible?"  My 12 yo daughter got her second shot on December 23 so she isn't eligible for her booster until may.  I would hate to misinterpret but it would be so much easier on me as the rest of us are vaxxed and boosted.  

15 minutes ago, amyh13 said:

What is everyone's definition of "booster if eligible?"  My 12 yo daughter got her second shot on December 23 so she isn't eligible for her booster until may.  I would hate to misinterpret but it would be so much easier on me as the rest of us are vaxxed and boosted.  

I believe Carnival goes by the CDC's description, which is 5 months after Moderna and Pfizer or 2 months after J&J.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

24 minutes ago, amyh13 said:

Then you'd follow the 2 day rule. She isn't boosted and you can only test 3 days beforehand if you are.

According to the CDC, a person is up to date if they are fully vaccinated and receive the booster, when eligible.  So it appears that a person who is not yet eligible for a booster is considered up to date.

Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccines, including any booster dose(s) when eligible.

Fully vaccinated means a person has received their primary series of COVID-19 vaccines.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html

• Like 3

21 hours ago, WhoDatNation said:

Is the rapid test at CVS enough to get on the ship if negative or does it have to be a lab test? I don’t understand these new rules so please help me out. Our family of 6 have all taken the booster shot if that plays a part.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "rapid test at CVS" so just in case...

The rapid self test that is sold over the counter is not eligible for travel on a cruise.

If you want to do a test yourself, it must be the proctored test and it costs about twice as much as the self test on the shelves at pharmacies.  I haven't even seen the proctored tests available in my pharmacies but they are available for ordering on emed.com. You need to rgister each person taking a test with an app and log in to do the test with someone watching you the whole time and walking you through the steps.

You need the rapid antigen HOME TEST for cruising, not the SELF TEST.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack

They are $150 for 6 tests and if you have private insurance, you should be able to be reimbursed, just send in the info on your insurance website.

I hope that helps!

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

She is considered up to date until May and can test 3 days prior.

This is also how I read it on Carnival but i just saw a FB post by john Heald that says if you are not eligible yet for booster, you may only test 2 days prior

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

This is also how I read it on Carnival but i just saw a FB post by john Heald that says if you are not eligible yet for booster, you may only test 2 days prior

That is at odds with what the CDC defines "up to date" as meaning and is also at odds with what Carnival says on their website:

Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821

3 minutes ago, mz-s said:

That is at odds with what the CDC defines "up to date" as meaning and is also at odds with what Carnival says on their website:

Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within two days prior to sailing.

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_072821

I know. That’s why I posted. Two contradictory statements both from official Carnival sources. Unfortunately I was unable to copy JH post due to using new devices but came up in a quick search. Just want people to be prepared. I am boosted so not an issue for me but it makes me wonder how accurate the 3 day rule is going to be interpreted at the port. Testing at 3 days but bringing home test kit along in case I need to do over.

Just now, 2wheelin said:

I know. That’s why I posted. Two contradictory statements both from official Carnival sources. Unfortunately I was unable to copy JH post due to using new devices but came up in a quick search. Just want people to be prepared. I am boosted so not an issue for me but it makes me wonder how accurate the 3 day rule is going to be interpreted at the port. Testing at 3 days but bringing home test kit along in case I need to do over.

There is no interpretation, Heald is providing wrong information. I understand the hesitation though, if you take your test at 3 days (Which is allowed if you're up-to-date) and you get a document checker at the port who doesn't know what up-to-date means like Heald, then you're stuck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

I wrote yesterday that I don't envy the embarkation check-in agents determining who is and who is not up to date with their vaccines. The fact that John Heald can't even get it right confirms my fear.

The Health Assessment question Carnival had us answer when we got our tickets for April 2nd says "Are you, or will you be fully vaccinated with a WHO or FDA authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before boarding? Fully vaccinated means you received the final dose of a vaccine series at least 14 days before embarkation"   Nothing is mentioned about being "up to date"... According to the CDC definition that means we don't have to have boosters.  Has anyone been hassled about not having a booster?

2 hours ago, RamblingReader said:

The Health Assessment question Carnival had us answer when we got our tickets for April 2nd says "Are you, or will you be fully vaccinated with a WHO or FDA authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before boarding? Fully vaccinated means you received the final dose of a vaccine series at least 14 days before embarkation"   Nothing is mentioned about being "up to date"... According to the CDC definition that means we don't have to have boosters.  Has anyone been hassled about not having a booster?

I would go with this but it may be more clear before you leave:

If you are boosted, test 3 days out.  If you are not boosted, test 2 days out.

I didn't see JH's comments yesterday but he posted correct information today:

Probably the most confused person with the latest protocols on when to test is yours truly and I have spoken with the beards to make sure I have the right information. And here it is:
From Cruises that start March 1st.
 If you are fully vaccinated and have received your booster, you can test up to three days before the cruise.
If you are fully vaccinated, but not yet eligible for the booster, you can also test up to three days before the cruise.
If you are fully vaccinated, eligible for a booster and haven’t received it, you must test no earlier than two days before the cruise.
Thank you so much and again my sincere and total apologies for any confusion that I personally may have caused.
Cheers 
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 2:11 PM, Colorado Cruzer said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by "rapid test at CVS" so just in case...

The rapid self test that is sold over the counter is not eligible for travel on a cruise.

If you want to do a test yourself, it must be the proctored test and it costs about twice as much as the self test on the shelves at pharmacies.  I haven't even seen the proctored tests available in my pharmacies but they are available for ordering on emed.com. You need to rgister each person taking a test with an app and log in to do the test with someone watching you the whole time and walking you through the steps.

You need the rapid antigen HOME TEST for cruising, not the SELF TEST.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack

They are $150 for 6 tests and if you have private insurance, you should be able to be reimbursed, just send in the info on your insurance website.

I hope that helps!

The OP was referring to exactly what is available, the rapid, or rapid result antigen test available at CVS and other pharmacies and health clinics, ones we've used on the cruises we've taken since the restart. Carnival references rapid tests on it Have Fun, Be Safe protocols on their website. For us, much easier than even the home proctored tests. Drive the 2 minutes to our nearest CVS, go in, swab, leave, get results before we get home. And, no out of pocket costs. 

1 hour ago, Denverdonkeys said:

I didn't see JH's comments yesterday but he posted correct information today:

Probably the most confused person with the latest protocols on when to test is yours truly and I have spoken with the beards to make sure I have the right information. And here it is:
From Cruises that start March 1st.
 If you are fully vaccinated and have received your booster, you can test up to three days before the cruise.
If you are fully vaccinated, but not yet eligible for the booster, you can also test up to three days before the cruise.
If you are fully vaccinated, eligible for a booster and haven’t received it, you must test no earlier than two days before the cruise.
Thank you so much and again my sincere and total apologies for any confusion that I personally may have caused.
Cheers 

Good for him for not only correcting his mistake, but also explaining the 2/3 day testing policy in the clearest way yet.