IONA - Take earplugs!!!!

welshy74

Just back from a fantastic week on Iona and she really is a beautiful ship and very little to complain about. 

I was on deck 15 mid ship balcony and the creaking, banging and grinding was like nothing I have ever encountered on a cruise ship.  It did not seem isolated to my deck/cabin either as others said the same.   We had rough seas but even on the calmer seas she made a noise. New ship wearing itself in maybe? 

So if you value a good nights sleep - take earplugs!!!  (Or get a set from reception... they will know why!)

• Like 1

I've seen a few people mention similar issues on other groups, I wonder if it'd be worth someone making a log of areas where it's most noticeable to see if it's something specific to a particular area or just random across the ship. Presumably if it's just in one location it might be easier for them to pinpoint and possibly fix. 

Deck 14 aft, first two nights I'm not sure we slept at all do constant banging and creaking but after a word to the cabin steward followed by work on the balcony whilst in port the banging stopped but not the creaking.

I like the ship but as the OP said it is noisy.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seashanty62 said:

Hi

Shame about the noise but glad you had a great cruise. Did you notice if the age range was a lot younger on this cruise?

Complete mix to be honest.  Quite a few multi generational families but I would say 35-55 made up the majority. 

I was on a balcony on 15 last week and did hear noise but just put it down to the wind if i'm honest with the conditions we had.   Have to say it never really bothered me though i found it was quite soothing along with the movement.

Edited by Francisdrake

7 minutes ago, Francisdrake said:

I was on a balcony on 15 last week and did hear noise but just put it down to the wind if i'm honest with the conditions we had.   Have to say it never really bothered me though i found it was quite soothing along with the movement.

The wind noise was ok but the banging was a step too far.

I do think on a more “usual” cruise it would be fine.

26 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

The wind noise was ok but the banging was a step too far.

I do think on a more “usual” cruise it would be fine.

If you are hearing banging in a balcony cabin, then I think it is likely to be loose furniture. We experienced this on Indy back in 2019, it was a loose lounger on next doors that was banging backwards and forwards with the ship movement. However when I mentioned it to our steward he sorted it out and heard nothing again

31 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If you are hearing banging in a balcony cabin, then I think it is likely to be loose furniture. We experienced this on Indy back in 2019, it was a loose lounger on next doors that was banging backwards and forwards with the ship movement. However when I mentioned it to our steward he sorted it out and heard nothing again

I would tend to agree but the balcony furniture was secured before we set sail. The banging stopped after some work was carried out on a balcony nearby when in port. It took a few hours to resolve.

Last week we were on deck 9 with a conservatory. That had no usual creeks but a nasty banging inside cabin from near door to conservatory. Current cruise we are on deck 14 standard balcony mid aft. The noise from the balcony slats above is bad in wind and rocky seas. You can hear it like a Mexican wave from deck 8. Inside cabin same banging noise from inside the cabin near right of patio door. Luckily I have ear plugs. Noisiest ship I’ve been on. Otherwise it’s a good ship. 

18 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Last week we were on deck 9 with a conservatory. That had no usual creeks but a nasty banging inside cabin from near door to conservatory. Current cruise we are on deck 14 standard balcony mid aft. The noise from the balcony slats above is bad in wind and rocky seas. You can hear it like a Mexican wave from deck 8. Inside cabin same banging noise from inside the cabin near right of patio door. Luckily I have ear plugs. Noisiest ship I’ve been on. Otherwise it’s a good ship. 

It's less than a year old Stu - shame that it is banging and rattling already.  Would expect that from a 20 year old steamer but not a brand new ship!  😂  

26 minutes ago, Rob DJ said:

It's less than a year old Stu - shame that it is banging and rattling already.  Would expect that from a 20 year old steamer but not a brand new ship!  😂  

You know what they say, "They don't build them like they used too!". 😂

Must agree, Deck 15 mid Balcony, lots of creaking and banging, Have heard this before on other ships though especially Norwegian Epic with its long upper outside decks when going across the North Atlantic.

Also I thought some of  the  banging could be down to  the glass shower door not keeping closed in the rough seas in some nearby cabins.