Likelihood of Cunard updating vaccination requirements?

neeuqdrazil

On 3/7/2022 at 4:51 PM, Darwould said:

My concern is that Cunard has not updated their A to Z countries testing  requirement list since Feb 22 and countries such as Barbados have made significant changes to cruisers testing requirements for independent touring since then.  And they haven't updated others like Curaco on their list at all. 

It's been updated now, the version on the website is dated March 9th

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lissie said:

If someone was going to get vaccinated they'ved had  pretty much a year to do so - they are clearly not going to at this late stage. 

You're probably right, but it might push a few people to finally get it. I know someone who wasn't sure he should get vaccinated. but finally did last fall because he wanted to go to a Billy Joel concert and proof of vaccination was required. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

It's been updated now, the version on the website is dated March 9th

19 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

US site is lagging behind. It's still as of Feb 24. 

I believe @Host Hattie is referring to the "A-Z destination entry requirements guide 2022" found here.

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/pdf/port-entry-requirements/CUNARD-A-Z-destination-entry-requirements-ADA-secured.pdf

The version of that document I'm seeing on the US website has been updated to "9 March 2022".

• Like 1

The A-Z didn't refresh to March 9 gracefully... but still does not have the current regulations that they changed the beginning of March.  The way I read it now, only an antogen test is required 1 day before, and they no longer mention the 3 day PCR requirement.  Also Curaco, where we will be in 4 weeks on QM2, says they are updating information 8 weeks before we get there, and there is no info now. .  

I have a simple view, everyone should have the vaccination recommended for their age group by their country.  High vaccination  threshold to get on board means more freedom once in board. 

However:   Cunard can't have multiple policies. Given majority of cruises are ex UK , then that means triple vaccination for all over 16s and double for over 12s. Most countries are offering adults third shot. So that should be cruise lines standard.

Soon (Autumn ) Cunard may have to increase it to 4th shot for over 75s.

• Like 3

Oddly, despite this being a crossing, I got an email from Cunard yesterday with the subject line 'Delve into your destinations', all about shore excursions (which aren't available on a TA.) I also haven't received the email that SweetPea711423 received about requiring vaccination. (I have a call in with my travel agent to see if she can get answers.) 

They really need to get their communication straightened out. 

So, Cunard's 'Our Assurance to you' page was updated today, and they're still stopping the vaccination requirements as of 17 April on QM2 (but oddly, still requiring them on QE until 17 May?). 

I guess this means I'm cancelling...

3 hours ago, neeuqdrazil said:

So, Cunard's 'Our Assurance to you' page was updated today, and they're still stopping the vaccination requirements as of 17 April on QM2 (but oddly, still requiring them on QE until 17 May?). 

I guess this means I'm cancelling...

Where are you going? If the places you're visiting require vaccinations, Cunard will have to do so or risk being denied entry to those ports.  

Once again, I believe Cunard will have high vaccination standards because of the CDC voluntary program all cruise lines are a part of now.

They will want to have the “Highly Vaccinated” status through that program.

Any of us who love Cunard also know that the website is NOT always fabulous… So I believe that it will eventually be updated for all the ships.

• Like 1

I spoke to a Cunard agent today, who seemed to me to be very knowledgeable, expressing my concern that unvaccinated passengers may be permitted on my May 8th westbound QM2 Crossing. He pointed out that the wording on the Cunard web site states that "currently" for cruises after April 17/May 17, vaccinations will not be required. He also said that his team has been told that this policy will be reviewed again towards the end of the March. Seeing how the new Omicron BA.2 sub-variant is even more contagious than the initial Omicron and that new cases are starting to rise sharply in Europe and the UK, it would be surprising to me to see passengers allowed to board without proof of vaccination. Although I booked this voyage over a year ago, I did so knowing full well how dynamic and fluid the situation is. A lot can change in the 7 weeks before our departure but am determined to keep calm and carry on until then.

Jack

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Where are you going? If the places you're visiting require vaccinations, Cunard will have to do so or risk being denied entry to those ports.  

It's a transatlantic. 

And I'm just not willing to take the risk of getting to late next week, when my final payment is due, and still not knowing. Plus, the rates of COVID in London are scarily high (4k/100k people, compared to, even using the 10x multiplier that our PHO recommends, only 1100/100k people where I live.) 

1 hour ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I spoke to a Cunard agent today, who seemed to me to be very knowledgeable, expressing my concern that unvaccinated passengers may be permitted on my May 8th westbound QM2 Crossing. He pointed out that the wording on the Cunard web site states that "currently" for cruises after April 17/May 17, vaccinations will not be required. He also said that his team has been told that this policy will be reviewed again towards the end of the March. Seeing how the new Omicron BA.2 sub-variant is even more contagious than the initial Omicron and that new cases are starting to rise sharply in Europe and the UK, it would be surprising to me to see passengers allowed to board without proof of vaccination. Although I booked this voyage over a year ago, I did so knowing full well how dynamic and fluid the situation is. A lot can change in the 7 weeks before our departure but am determined to keep calm and carry on until then.

Jack

They always sound knowledgeable, but I have my doubts. I was told there would be an update "next week" when I called in Feb. Another poster got the same reply last week and now you've been told end of March. 

4 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

It's a transatlantic. 

And I'm just not willing to take the risk of getting to late next week, when my final payment is due, and still not knowing. Plus, the rates of COVID in London are scarily high (4k/100k people, compared to, even using the 10x multiplier that our PHO recommends, only 1100/100k people where I live.) 

I understand how you feel. I cancelled the Feb QM2 out of NY because I was afraid the confusion that happened on the Christmas cruise would happen again. It turned out that all was fine on the crusie, but at the time of final payment I had too many doubts. Everyone has his/her own tolerance for uncertainty and you need to do what's right for you. 

It's time to pester Cunard by phone or email if you feel strongly about this matter - as I do. They listen to their customers - those that bother to speak or email - even if they do not want to since it is money and profit on the line - as well as future business and reputation.

Part of the puzzle is that Carnival, who own Cunard, seem to have a different policy - a more restrictive one. There are vaccination exemptions but looks like they are close to non existent in reality - you must have a medical reason (documented) and then it isn't assured. (It isn't quite as 100% clear as it sounds and CDC factors in to the policy.)

I cannot explain the logic here (Carnival vs. Cunard vs. vaccination policy). Perhaps there isn't any.

https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

Unvaccinated Guests — Exemptions to Vaccination Standards

IMPORTANT NOTE: Children under five are not required to apply for a vaccine exemption effective with sailings as of March 1. However, they must still follow all other requirements for unvaccinated guests.

We will continue to manage an exemption process for a small number of guests who are ineligible for vaccines. Requirements for cruise ships to enter ports outside the U.S. continue to evolve and Carnival Cruise Line must operate in full compliance with these regulations.

Vaccine exemptions for cruises to the Caribbean will be limited to a very small number of children ages 5-11, and teens and adults with a medical condition who can provide written confirmation from their medical provider that they cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. Our sailings from Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, South Carolina, Alabama, New York and Virginia will operate under these criteria with the assumption that current restrictions imposed by destinations will remain in place.

Vaccine exemptions for ships departing from California, and for our Alaska and European voyages will be accepted for children ages 5-11 and as required by U.S. federal law (in accommodation of medical reasons and sincerely held religious beliefs).

On round trip voyages of 10 days or longer, departing from and returning to North America, vaccine exemptions will only be accommodated as required by law and destination requirements. (Unfortunately, vaccine exemptions are not granted for unvaccinated minors under 12.)

The vaccine exemption process is currently open for sailings through December 31, 2022. Guests will be notified when we extend this period.

Vaccine exemptions are not guaranteed and are capacity-controlled based on the total number of vaccinated guests projected to be on board. The number of exemptions we are able to grant is far fewer than the requests we receive. While the decision to vaccinate children is obviously a personal one, if you are a family with children ages 5-11 and want to guarantee your ability to sail together, we encourage you to consider your vaccination option

• 2 weeks later...

The vaccine requirement expires in 3 weeks for QM2 - not enough time to get vaccinated if you wanted to. Meanwhile, on another forum here QE has an outbreak and QM2 is on the CDC orange code - one level above red.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

To me, it appears that if Cunard drop the vaccine requirement, they fall out of the CDC "opt in" - which means they do not care and makes them an outlier - way outside of Carnival's position - making it all baffling.

"CDC recommends that cruise ships operating in U.S. waters choose to participate in CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships."

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  My husband and I are on the westbound crossing on the QM2 leaving Southampton on April 24.  Today, April 7, I received the following information from Cunard in an email entitled: “An important update to our vaccination policy.”

We have updated our vaccination policy that will apply for your voyage, M210, departing on 04/24/2022.

All guests aged 12 years and over will need to be fully vaccinated in order to sail with us. Children aged 5-11 must also be fully vaccinated, or provide a negative PCR result prior to sailing.  Children 4 and under are currently exempt.

Guests will be required to show proof of vaccination status at the terminal prior to boarding.  For more information visit our website.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Hi.  My husband and I are on the westbound crossing on the QM2 leaving Southampton on April 24.  Today, April 7, I received the following information from Cunard in an email entitled: “An important update to our vaccination policy.”

We have updated our vaccination policy that will apply for your voyage, M210, departing on 04/24/2022.

All guests aged 12 years and over will need to be fully vaccinated in order to sail with us. Children aged 5-11 must also be fully vaccinated, or provide a negative PCR result prior to sailing.  Children 4 and under are currently exempt.

Guests will be required to show proof of vaccination status at the terminal prior to boarding.  For more information visit our website.

Thanks for that update. But the left hand still doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing.

"For more information visit our website."

OK, let's visit their website. The "Vaccination and testing policy" page hasn't been updated since March 21, 2022 and still says:

"The vaccination policy currently applies to all voyages departing up to and including 17 April 2022 on Queen Mary 2 and 14 May 2022 on Queen Elizabeth. All other Cunard voyages on sale do not currently require guests to be vaccinated. This includes voyages on Queen Victoria, scheduled to return to service on 5 June 2022."

37 minutes ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Does that mean you don't have to have a test before boarding now? Unless you're a child who isn't fully vaccinated? Or this that a separate requirement? 

I really wish they'd sort this out!

(They lost me as a passenger on this crossing because I wasn't willing to take the risk of them not updating their vax requirements. And there's a non-zero chance that I'm going to cancel the crossing that I've got booked for November as well, depending on how this whole thing goes.) 

Edited by neeuqdrazil
additional info

I wish they'd do a better job sorting this out, too. Telling people about the vaccine requirement 17 days out could be too late for those not vaccinated. I'm glad they continued the requirement, but they need to tell people sooner. Final payment is 4 months out, but you don't know the vaccine situation until more than 3 months AFTER final payment? That's ridiculous. It sounds like they're deciding one cruise at a time.

As for testing, the message Sweetpea received said specifically "vaccination policy." So will there be another message about the "testing policy?" 

It's hard to believe such a disorganized company has managed to stay in business for more than a week.

Thought I would mention that, earlier in this thread, on March 9, I reported that I had received that day from Cunard the following announcement regarding my April 24 crossing:

For your voyage, all guests of all ages need to be fully vaccinated with two doses of a recognised vaccine* a minimum of 14 days prior to travel. If more than 270 days have elapsed since the second vaccine then a booster vaccine will also be required. The 270 days will be calculated from the day of disembarkation from your cruise. Booster vaccinations need to have been administered a minimum of seven days prior to embarkation.

I want to also mention that today, April 7, I had forwarded to me by my travel agent a "Booking Notification" from Cunard about my crossing.  It says that all guests 12 and up must be vaccinated; those 4 and under are exempt; you must show proof of vaccination at the terminal prior to boarding; and depending on embarkation port, observed Covid-19 test with negative result will be required either before getting to the terminal or at the terminal (and that further details on testing will be further provided prior to the cruise).

I also looked back at the notice I received today directly from Cunard to see if I had overlooked anything about testing, and in fact I had.  The notice states the following:

All guests aged five and over will also be required to take a complimentary antigen test once they arrive at the terminal. 

3 minutes ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Thought I would mention that, earlier in this thread, on March 9, I reported that I had received that day from Cunard the following announcement regarding my April 24 crossing:

For your voyage, all guests of all ages need to be fully vaccinated with two doses of a recognised vaccine* a minimum of 14 days prior to travel. If more than 270 days have elapsed since the second vaccine then a booster vaccine will also be required. The 270 days will be calculated from the day of disembarkation from your cruise. Booster vaccinations need to have been administered a minimum of seven days prior to embarkation.

I want to also mention that today, April 7, I had forwarded to me by my travel agent a "Booking Notification" from Cunard about my crossing.  It says that all guests 12 and up must be vaccinated; those 4 and under are exempt; you must show proof of vaccination at the terminal prior to boarding; and depending on embarkation port, observed Covid-19 test with negative result will be required either before getting to the terminal or at the terminal (and that further details on testing will be further provided prior to the cruise).

I also looked back at the notice I received today directly from Cunard to see if I had overlooked anything about testing, and in fact I had.  The notice states the following:

All guests aged five and over will also be required to take a complimentary antigen test once they arrive at the terminal. 

Yup but as it stands  -per Cunard's website the 17 April crossing is the last QM cruise which requires vaccination! 

All guests (of all ages) will need to be fully vaccinated in order to travel on any voyage departing up to and including 17 April 2022 for voyages on Queen Mary 2 and 14 May 2022 for voyages on Queen Elizabeth.