Early sitting dinner time / Balcony partitions

wombat57

We are sailing on the Queen Elizabeth from Sydney next year (if the Australian government ever finally gives the go ahead for cruising to recommence here).

What time is early sitting dinner in the Britannia restaurant, and is open dining available at all?

Also, do the balcony partitions open? We are sailing with friends so would like to have the partition between our cabins open if possible. Specifically cabins 7171 and 7175.

I have asked these queries of Cunard customer service officers and have received different answers so your assistance/information would be appreciated.

Last time there was an Australian season the early dining - was  crazy early - like about 5:30 or 5:45pm. 

Currently there is open dining for the later sitting - unclear whether this will continue or not. 

Currently sailings have a first sitting time of 6pm which is fixed dining with the same table and waiters and second sitting is anytime after 7-45pm with open seating. This has been confirmed for my next Cunard trip a roundtrip TA so it seems as if this is the way forward for Cunard's thinking. We were told on our last cruise on QE in November that the second sitting system had been very well accepted by cruisers and Cunard were looking at making it permanent. Whether they have or whether it is still temporary nobody seems to know.

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Currently sailings have a first sitting time of 6pm which is fixed dining with the same table and waiters and second sitting is anytime after 7-45pm with open seating. This has been confirmed for my next Cunard trip a roundtrip TA so it seems as if this is the way forward for Cunard's thinking. We were told on our last cruise on QE in November that the second sitting system had been very well accepted by cruisers and Cunard were looking at making it permanent. Whether they have or whether it is still temporary nobody seems to know.

I'd love to know whose opinions they've asked on that as mine certainly differs from that. The only people I talked to who liked it were the table for two crowd, anyone who liked to share thought it a  terrible idea as do the waiting staff, for obvious reasons.

This will be the one thing that stops me cruising with Cunard, as much as I hate the relaxing of the dress code this is the deal breaker for me in Britannia.

• Like 1

I booked in February a cruise on QV this coming August dinner sittings were 6pm and 8.30pm so we opted for the 8.30 option. So it doesn't look like QV will follow the any time after 7.45 malarkey. We shall see. 

3 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

I booked in February a cruise on QV this coming August dinner sittings were 6pm and 8.30pm so we opted for the 8.30 option. So it doesn't look like QV will follow the any time after 7.45 malarkey. We shall see. 

Well I changed my dinner sitting on QM2 leaving Southampton on 29th July which we booked over 18 months ago from first to second sitting and was told that second sitting is open sitting from 7-45pm onwards. Just to muddy waters further my confirmation document says I have changed to second sitting nothing more but on My Cunard on Cunard's website it states "Second Sitting dine anytime after 7-45pm, with last orders at 9pm. Reservations can be made daily onboard.

Edited by majortom10
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Well I changed my dinner sitting on QM2 leaving Southampton on 29th July which we booked over 18 months ago from first to second sitting and was told that second sitting is open sitting from 7-45pm onwards. Just to muddy waters further my confirmation document says I have changed to second sitting nothing more but on My Cunard on Cunard's website it states "Second Sitting dine anytime after 7-45pm, with last orders at 9pm. Reservations can be made daily onboard.

We know with all our past sailings on the QM2, Britannia Dining was always 6PM and 830PM before the health emergency. We will be sailing in the Club this September but interested to know what Britannia hours would be.

12 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We know with all our past sailings on the QM2, Britannia Dining was always 6PM and 830PM before the health emergency. We will be sailing in the Club this September but interested to know what Britannia hours would be.

I should imagine if Britannia on my cruise in first 2 weeks of August is 7-45pm until 9pm for second sitting I dont think it will be changed in September. If I were to put money on it, especially if it was my own, I would say that open second sitting is here to stay.

Hi!

I have routinely traveled as a solo passenger on ALL my 40+ plus voyages on the QM2 (The last being the disrupted 2020 world cruise.) Sorry Cunard, here is no way I am sailing again on QM2 you if you don't return to the second sitting, that has long been practiced.   My decision time will be the day before final payment is due.

My next sailing is 1/3/23 from NY to Sydney.  68 days.   I am not going to spend one day worrying about where I will be sitting day to day, the hassle of making reservations, who my waiters will be, who will be my table companions and who will show up.  Sure, you can get the same table for 8 every night but there is no guarantee you will not be alone.  Or perhaps you show up at 8;30 and your table companions are halfway done as they arrived at 7:45.   What about the world club parties and captains' welcome receptions which for second sitting passengers in the past end at 8:30?  Of course, Cunard may end the evening parties and have them in the afternoon.  Don't put it past them.   For the last few years, they have had the Senior Officers party in the afternoon no doubt to save money as fewer passengers show up.

It's not just solo passengers who are concerned.  I know of several families and couple who are upset about this.  To them, having the same table, same time, same waiters and same table companions adds to the experience.  

I don't know what's going on with Cunard management.   The Peter principle in play? With diminished dress code, the poor website, conflicting communication, cutbacks and this open dining they seem to be in a race to mediocrity and to be all things to all people.  It will not end well. 

Deck Chair.

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 5

On 3/12/2022 at 12:07 PM, rakkor said:

I'd love to know whose opinions they've asked on that as mine certainly differs from that. The only people I talked to who liked it were the table for two crowd, anyone who liked to share thought it a  terrible idea as do the waiting staff, for obvious reasons.

This will be the one thing that stops me cruising with Cunard, as much as I hate the relaxing of the dress code this is the deal breaker for me in Britannia.

Totally agree. People who really enjoy making new and permanent friends on Board a Cunard ship love the fixed late seating with the same table the same group of passengers and the same wait staff. Way to hard to rustle up 8-10 people every single day for such a meet over dinner. The old phrase, if it isn't broken do not try to fix it seems lost on the younger generation who seem to love to tinker with everything.

3 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hi!

I have routinely traveled as a solo passenger on ALL my 40+ plus voyages on the QM2 (The last being the disrupted 2020 world cruise.) Sorry Cunard, here is no way I am sailing again on QM2 you if you don't return to the second sitting, that has long been practiced.   My decision time will be the day before final payment is due.

My next sailing is 1/3/23 from NY to Sydney.  68 days.   I am not going to spend one day worrying about where I will be sitting day to day, the hassle of making reservations, who my waiters will be, who will be my table companions and who will show up.  Sure, you can get the same table for 8 every night but there is no guarantee you will not be alone.  Or perhaps you show up at 8;30 and your table companions are halfway done as they arrived at 7:45.   What about the world club parties and captains' welcome receptions which for second sitting passengers in the past end at 8:30?  Of course, Cunard may end the evening parties and have them in the afternoon.  Don't put it past them.   For the last few years, they have had the Senior Officers party in the afternoon no doubt to save money as fewer passengers show up.

It's not just solo passengers who are concerned.  I know of several families and couple who are upset about this.  To them, having the same table, same time, same waiters and same table companions adds to the experience.  

I don't know what's going on with Cunard management.   The Peter principle in play? With diminished dress code, the poor website, conflicting communication, cutbacks and this open dining they seem to be in a race to mediocrity and to be all things to all people.  It will not end well. 

Deck Chair.

Cunard may well be shocked at the number of cancellations for the World Cruise in 2023 if they abandon tradition in favor of a younger mix. Lets see if they can rustle up a full ship of people younger than 60 that can take off for 117 days. No masks, no restrictions and secured fixed time  fixed table  same people and same wait staff or we are also gone.

3 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Cunard may well be shocked at the number of cancellations for the World Cruise in 2023 if they abandon tradition in favor of a younger mix. Lets see if they can rustle up a full ship of people younger than 60 that can take off for 117 days. No masks, no restrictions and secured fixed time  fixed table  same people and same wait staff or we are also gone.

Totally agree.  You really have to wonder what they are thinking.  I also believe this new system is not going over well with the MDs on board who have to struggle and stress with this night after night.  Sure, in the old system the MDs had to deal with table assignments, table changes but after the first couple of nights  and everyone was settled in they could cruise so to speak until the next group of passengers boarded. 

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, deck chair said:

To be fair they seem to have managed  some example of an onboard app - which is better than they had pre Covid - nothing. You can at least check your onboard spend without standing in a queue at  the pursers desk.  

The change in dress code also pre-dated Covid in the Australian cruise season 2019/20 - so maybe it was being planned anyways.  

I must admit although a couple we liked being on a big table with the same companions each night.  I suspect that in practice is still possible if you all agree a time on the first night and arrange a single booking for the entire cruise.  We did have changes to the table too (which wasn't to do with people departing/arriving on board) - I think in one case a single's table had had issues and another single lady joined us, while couple seen on the first  night never showed again 

Hi again!  I do wonder how many passengers who are told they have second sitting and used to the traditional sitting have no clue what that means with this arrangement.  I bet most.  Will they be in for a surprise!!!

Deck Chair.

13 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hi again!  I do wonder how many passengers who are told they have second sitting and used to the traditional sitting have no clue what that means with this arrangement.  I bet most.  Will they be in for a surprise!!!

Deck Chair.

Well I went to say pretty much none - but I just checked my cunard - and looks what shows up? Interestingly we were booked for 2nd sitting and seem to have been moved to first. Not sure whether to move us back on board or just wait and see. 6pm is a bit early to eat dinner! 

This is for a cruise in July 

2022-03-15 16_14_16-Home Page.png

• Thanks 1

I'm still debating if I'm going to be getting on board on 24 April (c'mon, Cunard, confirm your vaccination policy after 17 April), but I've actually updated mine to remain second sitting, but at a table for 2 (not that it will matter with dine any time, but...) 6PM is way too early, especially if I'm having tea at 3.  

• Like 1

This is a fascinating thread. As a "younger" person the way i see the first sitting fixed and the second sitting open dining conundrum is clearly about Cunard looking for ways to attract younger people. Everything we say here is of course sweeping generalisations but young people don't want to sit at a table full of strangers at the same time everyday - it's way too restrictive and it's a long way out of many people's comfort zone. Equally, my grandparents on both sides ate their dinner everyday at 16:30 so presumably Cunard thinks the first sitting time is perfectly acceptable for slightly older people 🙂

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

This is a fascinating thread. As a "younger" person the way i see the first sitting fixed and the second sitting open dining conundrum is clearly about Cunard looking for ways to attract younger people. Everything we say here is of course sweeping generalisations but young people don't want to sit at a table full of strangers at the same time everyday - it's way too restrictive and it's a long way out of many people's comfort zone. Equally, my grandparents on both sides ate their dinner everyday at 16:30 so presumably Cunard thinks the first sitting time is perfectly acceptable for slightly older people 🙂

I think you may be right - but at nearly 60 /70 we  rarely eat before 7pm - 6pm is far too early - particularly when you consider there is afternoon tea on offer too!  

I quite liked the big table dining last /first time on Cunard (at the later timing) - but we only used the MDR about 50% of the time - because the restrictive time conflicted with other things on in the evening. Pretty sure we'll go with later open dining this time which  may mean we eat in the MDR more often. The food is good there and changes often 

• Like 1

We were on the QM2 in December with 2nd seating... We had no problem getting the same table the each night in the dining room. (We did not coordinate with other passengers so our fellow passengers were different most nights.)

Aloha,

John

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jcl410 said:

We were on the QM2 in December with 2nd seating... We had no problem getting the same table the each night in the dining room. (We did not coordinate with other passengers so our fellow passengers were different most nights.)

Aloha,

John

So you were allowed to have a big table and sit with strangers? That sounds like a good compromise 

Okay, I always used to select fixed second seating on all my cruises.  Husband and I stay up late and enjoy the night life, we eat late at home (7:00 pm or later), and I lived for a while in Spain where dinner usually begins at 10:00 PM.  

However, I have started selecting the early seating fixed dining because-- we often have to get up early to go on busy shore excursions, the dinner is a long drawn-out multi-hour affair, so it is not like I am eating at 6:00 PM anyway, and it is healthier for food to have more time to digest in one's stomach before sleeping.

I do find the majority of people in my family and friends circle (except the very senior) do prefer anytime dining.  They like the flexibility, the opportunity to sit in different places and meet new people, and are more comfortable not being rigidly "stuck" in a dining pattern. Also yes, many seniors and young families in our area do eat dinner as early as 4:00 PM!

Husband and I do prefer fixed seating because it is easier for us to keep to the schedule--sometimes we have great table-mates, sometimes so-so, and a few times we have had a table for two. So, I am comfortable compromising, and I would never refuse to cruise on Cunard for a dining time reason.  And every once in a while I will even go on a NCL cruise with certain family members and force myself to do anytime time dining in a lot of different restaurants--and I survive and even enjoy it!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

Also yes, many seniors and young families in our area do eat dinner as early as 4:00 PM!

How very odd-  Ive spent times living in the USA and never come across this - though mainly I was  on the West Coast.  My mother used to have dinner for us as kids at 5:30pm - which I thought was insanely early. Once we weren't kids she  went later though. If I eat too early I spend all evening snacking 

• Haha 1

For years we ate a light lunch then dined after 8pm with wine etc. Our "médecin traitant" (general practitioner) had been nagging Nora for ages to eat during the day and not evening, particularly regarding cheese consumption. At end of February last year Astra-Zeneca jabs were released here and I sent a note to keep us in mind (political comment had caused some resistance to AZ). Excuse our GP came up with for us to jump the queue was that my wife had a comorbidity, being obese. Great, we got the jabs but thought we needed to do something about that.

We didn't really change our diet but moved the main meal to between 1 & 2pm, including wine, and Nora cut out most snacks after that. Saturday and Sunday we now dine at 7pm and 6pm respectively. 50 weeks later she'd lost over 30kg and now just needs to maintain it. Her 5 mile run time has dropped from 64 mins down to just over 49 mins. She's probably slimmer now than at any time other than before and first year or two of marriage. I've lost about 7-8kg in same period, allowing myself some snacks and extras if threatening to lose too much weight.

So there may be some health benefits to eating earlier. I'm sure we'll survive eating later for 2 weeks on QM2 at later times, we should have about 4kg in hand to stay within a healthy BMI. 🍷🥩🍸

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1