Grand Northern Europe Voyage - Lisbon to Stockholm - May 6, 2022 to June 28, 2022

mysty

Lovely peaceful views, mysty.

I am enjoying the contrast in your reporting styles, Mysty and ZQT.   Both are informative and entertaining, but seen from different perspectives, no doubt due to your different personalities!

Lola

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mysty said:

Yesterday we were in Seydisfjordur, Iceland.  Beautiful sail in.  As we entered the fjord we lost internet access because of the interference of the mountains.

DSC09279.JPG.1fc253b3281a201aa230cfd78ce68f9d.JPG

DSC09286.JPG.35b13e14ee03b385e07ca7f62a5e0780.JPG

We took a guided walking tour around the town.  It was founded in 1848 by Norwegians as a herring trading post.  It's a town of colourful wooden buildings surrounded by majestic Mt. Bjolfur to the west and Strandartindur to the east.  Here are some pics from our walk about....

DSC09297.JPG.c9f6dd2ace1f638e101b06e7106c094d.JPG

DSC09305.JPG.7bdda75a254cc3204b51911d28f58de1.JPG

DSC09308.JPG.e53cfedd02536263f1a27baaecf1ad8a.JPG

DSC09309.JPG.529b1e0a80038929568d1c3cbf1b47ee.JPG

Today we are at anchor off Djupivogur, Iceland.

I find it interesting that they have furry coverings on the benches. I am wondering if it is for softness comfort or to protect the lower regions of those sitting from the cold?

• Like 1

Just now, frantic36 said:

I find it interesting that they have furry coverings on the benches. I am wondering if it is for softness comfort or to protect the lower regions of those sitting from the cold?

I wondered the same thing.  Based on the cold of the pool deck chairs currently I am on the side of the protection of lower regions from the cold. 😁

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mysty said:

Yesterday was chilly.  I don't particularly enjoy the cold.  For the walking tour I wore a long sleeve top, a fleece hoodie, a fleece lined jacket with a Gortex raincoat on top of the other layers. I was comfy.  Wore a toque and gloves.   Secret is layering.   Many folks have puffy jackets. 

Thanks for your timely reply….

Wow, four layers and you live in Canada!  It must be cold!!!

We planned on layering, but hope for much warmer weather.

Ah, summer in Iceland!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zqtchas said:

If you take bus tours you will be warm. The busses have been crowded with seats 

like sitting in economy on the flights.

I have very long legs.

Any chance to book an exit row seat on the bus? 😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Solon said:

I have very long legs.

Any chance to book an exit row seat on the bus? 😂

2 ways, use a cane or be very astute in jockeying.

Today was very confusing for dressing. This has been the warmest day since Southampton. People were dressed like Mysty described and some were just T

shirt and shorts. By the end of the day everyone has shed some clothes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, zqtchas said:

2 ways, use a cane or be very astute in jockeying.

Today was very confusing for dressing. This has been the warmest day since Southampton. People were dressed like Mysty described and some were just T

shirt and shorts. By the end of the day everyone has shed some clothes.

Except, of course,  for Mysty who took a tour into the mountains to see waterfalls.  😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This morning we are en route to Heimaey, Westman Islands,  Iceland.   We are scheduled to be at anchor for 9:00 am.  Beautiful sunny morning.   Afternoon high is forecast to be 11 C or 52 F.  It will be a day of layers.   Excursion is a Circumnavigation of Heimaey. 

En route pic...

20220529_062657.thumb.jpg.72bbdb44653e4cdda277dba507b08a90.jpg

• Like 5

Useful feedback on clothing as I'm off to Iceland on Whisper next month; I'll dress for the UK Lake District: layers!

Oh, and beautiful photos; if it wasn't for the testing I'd be getting really excited now; I've only called at Iceland once on a mainly Norway cruise and have always wanted to go back.

Edited by Clodia
  • Like 1

Some photos of our Circumnavigation of Heimaey.....

DSC09375.JPG.db74d58c20d98a9fa9c758c157964aec.JPG

DSC09380.JPG.5421f9218991b037b7854c5ffe74ca28.JPG

DSC09384.JPG.078d59982788ca63827c56ffaf8c88f3.JPG

The Elephant......left of center, eye and trunk dipping down to the water....

DSC09393.JPG.844d6170e9eec98241aa8be7ff100494.JPG

DSC09401.JPG.a8a8017e43e16d5739c582803db7d59c.JPG

DSC09404.JPG.6851f063f2d5459f2f18b7964521187a.JPG

DSC09411.JPG.eb7b185814fcab7b9f69d71d8541eb19.JPG

Edited by mysty
  • Like 8

Just now, lincslady said:

I guess you were too far offshore to see the nesting puffins, Mysty, if they were there.

Lola

We did see nesting Puffins Lola.   My camera could not adequately capture them though.  😏

• Like 1

We are docked in Reykjavik this morning.   Very dense fog.  Myster and I both tested negative yesterday on our COVID tests.   Today is the end of segment 2 and the beginning of segment 3.  We're going on the Highlights of Reykjavik tour this morning.  

• Like 4

I believe  it is a changeover day, so hoping everyone new on board will have done negative tests before being allowed on the ship.  I presume the infected ones are having to be somewhere in suites quarantining?  Good to hear you are  germ free.

Could one of you give some idea of numbers of passengers; are there deliberately fewer than the full complement, do you think?

It is funny how Covid looms much less large in the news here in the UK now, what with Croatia, and our governmental problems.   Plus the Jubilee this weekend, of course.  Not to mention the awful event in Texas.

Lola

• Like 1

We will board today and tested negative yesterday.  So, should be safe for other passengers.

Someone on board has posted that they tested positive 3 days ago without symptoms.  How are they picked up if the butler just does a temperature check every morning?

3 hours ago, Solon said:

We will board today and tested negative yesterday.  So, should be safe for other passengers.

Someone on board has posted that they tested positive 3 days ago without symptoms.  How are they picked up if the butler just does a temperature check every morning?

They don’t do temperature checks anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1