First time on Oasis - please share your "must do" list

Kmkub

Hi everyone

My husband is taking his adult children (23 & 26,) for some "daddy and me" time. This means alone time for me! Hooray!

This is the first time for an Oasis class ship. I'm curious about what things you think are not to be missed.  I want to give them a little guide to use when they get on board. I know the boys will like water slides & zip lines. They probably won't care about shows. The elevator bar thing looks cool. 

I know the boys will be nuts about having a Starbucks. I assume this is an upcharge. Are they pricey?

I'm also curious about how the drink package works. We've seen many iterations of this across the cruise lines over the years. On Princess, now, for example, you can order as many drinks as you want right to your room. In the past, we've had to hunt/gather throughout the day so there were a few beers in the cabin in the evening. Any tips on this process would be appreciated.

Thanks!

FlowRider is a to do for his boys. Start early in the cruise so they get the hang of it. No lessons needed as the staff will show them what to do. They will need to sign a waiver at the sports desk and do the boogie board test first but it should be fine if there are no physical issues. There is the Wipeout bar right beside the FlowRider. Zipline and the Abyss dry slide are on that deck also. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, George C said:

Do not miss Ice show and aqua show both great , we love all the live music including jazz club and the pub .

I was going to say the same thing. It's too bad they're not interested in shows because at the very top of my "must do" list would be the ice show and the aqua show. 

• Like 2

Use the cruise planner and set up as many shows in advance as possible.  But do not rush to try to see and do everything at once - pace yourself over the week.  You will have plenty of time to do the things you want.  Things to do:

Aqua Theater

Broadway show

Production company show

Ice show

Flow rider

Comedy show (adult in nature)

Jazz club (if you like jazz)

Ultimate Abyss

Rising tide bar

Boardwalk activities 

Escape room

Music hall

Zip line

Sports court

That should keep them busy.

• Like 3

I'm not a theater or ice skating production person. But my wife is, and to be honest, I've enjoyed most of them to various levels. Maybe a couple I'd pass on seeing again. And you couldn't force either of us to watch Cats again regardless of production (and that's based on a London production, not Oasis).

The aqua shows are a different thing, and I really enjoy those.

Anyway, my point would be to not write them off out right. At the very least, sit in the back and slip out if you're not enjoying it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Neeny12 said:

FlowRider is a to do for his boys. Start early in the cruise so they get the hang of it. No lessons needed as the staff will show them what to do. They will need to sign a waiver at the sports desk and do the boogie board test first but it should be fine if there are no physical issues. There is the Wipeout bar right beside the FlowRider. Zipline and the Abyss dry slide are on that deck also. 

You don’t need to do boogie board first as far as I know.  At least you didn’t before Covid.  

May not want to waste time on boogie board.   It is mostly the younger kids.  It is way less challenging and it bangs up your arms and body pretty good.  Go straight to stand up surfing if you are athletic.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

I'm not a theater or ice skating production person. But my wife is, and to be honest, I've enjoyed most of them to various levels. Maybe a couple I'd pass on seeing again. And you couldn't force either of us to watch Cats again regardless of production (and that's based on a London production, not Oasis).

Anyway, my point would be to not write them off out right. At the very least, sit in the back and slip out if you're not enjoying it.

I agree in that I think it is necessary for one who has never experienced any of this on this ship class to look at everything that may be of interest and to try it to determine for themselves how it is.  Too many things such as you reference are very subjective and what you or I may enjoy may or may not be what someone else would.  They should be experienced with an open mind to then judge for yourself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

I was going to say something similar.  We enjoy all the shows and we go to everything available.  But I know others don't care for "theater."  But the Aqua shows are in a different category.  They are less than an hour and feature some amazing stunts and showmanship.  They are must-do, IMO.

The may also enjoy the comedy shows.  They tend to be much funnier if you get there a little early and enjoy the bar a bit.

Drink packages, in VERY brief, are in my experience, "worth" it if you'll drink 6 or more drinks onboard everyday (including excursion days).  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rmurray847 said:

I was going to say something similar.  We enjoy all the shows and we go to everything available.  But I know others don't care for "theater."  But the Aqua shows are in a different category.  They are less than an hour and feature some amazing stunts and showmanship.  They are must-do, IMO.

The may also enjoy the comedy shows.  They tend to be much funnier if you get there a little early and enjoy the bar a bit.

Drink packages, in VERY brief, are in my experience, "worth" it if you'll drink 6 or more drinks onboard everyday (including excursion days).  

Definitely do all the aqua shows.  It is a perfect type of show for a cruise (not too long, fun, cool stunts, something for everyone) and something you can only get on oasis class.  

• Like 1

Since they are of legal age and alcohol was mentioned I'll share what we did with our group on Oasis. We printed out a list of all the bars onboard and had a Pub Crawl. The rules were only that you had to have 1 drink at each bar and check it off the list. No prizes or anything just seeing who could do them all in 7 days. Well 6 considering you can't really get a drink the day you disembark. It was so funny seeing the other couples we were cruising with popping into the different bars as we were leaving them lol. I think it was something like 32 bars on Oasis. Might not be for everyone but the challenge was interesting lol

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DiamondDiva23 said:

Since they are of legal age and alcohol was mentioned I'll share what we did with our group on Oasis. We printed out a list of all the bars onboard and had a Pub Crawl. The rules were only that you had to have 1 drink at each bar and check it off the list. No prizes or anything just seeing who could do them all in 7 days. Well 6 considering you can't really get a drink the day you disembark. It was so funny seeing the other couples we were cruising with popping into the different bars as we were leaving them lol. I think it was something like 32 bars on Oasis. Might not be for everyone but the challenge was interesting lol

Disembarkation day is day 8 on a 7 night cruise, so there are 7 drinking days.  🙂

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Disembarkation day is day 8 on a 7 night cruise, so there are 7 drinking days.  🙂

You can get a drink in suite lounge on disembarkion day wife normally gets champagne 

2 hours ago, topnole said:

You don’t need to do boogie board first as far as I know.  At least you didn’t before Covid.  

May not want to waste time on boogie board.   It is mostly the younger kids.  It is way less challenging and it bangs up your arms and body pretty good.  Go straight to stand up surfing if you are athletic.  

It’s actually part of testing. DH did it last time and it is stated on our RC cruise planner that it is required before attempting stand up surfing.

Whether or not it is enforced is a whole other topic.

DH wasn’t too happy that he had to do it on our last cruise in 2019. But he and my son will likely do it so they can get their rides in. 

5 minutes ago, Neeny12 said:

It’s actually part of testing. DH did it last time and it is stated on our RC cruise planner that it is required before attempting stand up surfing.

Whether or not it is enforced is a whole other topic.

DH wasn’t too happy that he had to do it on our last cruise in 2019. But he and my son will likely do it so they can get their rides in. 

Never heard of that and never had to do it.   My first post Covid cruise is coming up soon so I may be behind a bit in policy.   But historically this was not required. 

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Use the cruise planner and set up as many shows in advance as possible.  But do not rush to try to see and do everything at once - pace yourself over the week.  You will have plenty of time to do the things you want.  Things to do:

Aqua Theater

Broadway show

Production company show

Ice show

Flow rider

Comedy show (adult in nature)

Jazz club (if you like jazz)

Ultimate Abyss

Rising tide bar

Boardwalk activities 

Escape room

Music hall

Zip line

Sports court

That should keep them busy.

That's it? That's all you've got? LOL

Great list; thank you!

3 hours ago, SG65CB said:

I was going to say the same thing. It's too bad they're not interested in shows because at the very top of my "must do" list would be the ice show and the aqua show. 

I saw a bit of the aqua show - it seemed just a little bit like "O" from Cirque. I'm sure my husband will enjoy that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, topnole said:

The oldest went from super athlete to beer belly in just four short years.  The teenage version of him would have lived there. We shall see how the adult does.

1 hour ago, DiamondDiva23 said:

We're on the Oasis in April. There are 32 bars??? I'm in trouble.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

must do aqua show at least 2x. unsure why anyone wouldnt give it a try. the music is fantastic and the skills amazing. do a youtube for it and show them the show. if they still dont like it then let them not see it. they are missing out on a truly skillful presentation. 

i could totally see then not wanting to do other traditional shows (dancing/singing) cause they probably think they are uncool but the aqua show is sooooooooooooooo cool

i had no idea princess delivers drinks to the cabin. thanks for that info!