Princess transfer to airport or Uber

CruzinfromFL

We are doing the Seattle R/T Alaska cruise in July. We are flying out the same day the cruise ends, my sister's flight leaves Seattle at 11:30 and mine is at 1:45. Our TA said 11:30 is plenty of time to get to the airport on our own.

I'm wondering is it better to use the Princess transfer to the airport, or take an Uber (if we Uber we would carry off our own luggage)?

Anyone have any experience with one vs the other in Seattle?

Thanks!

It is almost always faster to go on your own.  The Princess Transfer adds convenience, but along with convenience usually comes added cost and a slower pace.  The Transfer is going to be in a big bus that won't leave until it is filled with 40+ passengers and their luggage. That is never faster than getting yourself into a car or van. 

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

Anyone have information on the luggage valet service in Seattle?

It appears that the city of Seattle is still covering the cost of the luggage check in from the ship.  We were on the first cruise back out in Seattle last year and used it, although the staff at the purser's desk was just getting used to being back out at sea.  Nevertheless, it worked like a charm.  There is one caveat in this year's posting, they ask you to keep your luggage to 50 lbs.  I know some used it to overfill their suitcases without having the extra charge imposed upon them but it appears too many people took advantage of that.  

Port Valet - Enjoy Seattle Luggage Free! | Port of Seattle (portseattle.org)

And for the OP, we use Seattle Express to get back to the airport and they are excellent and more reasonable than the Princess transfers or even an Uber.  Taxi's used to offer a flat rate of $40 per car but with the gas prices, I can't see how it could still be that price.  

We were off the ship and to the airport in no time.  The security lines at Seattle were fierce.  It does help to have TSA pre check or a first class ticket. I even understand where you can make a reservation at SeaTac for security if you don't have either of these short cuts.

SEA Spot Saver | Port of Seattle (portseattle.org)

We were at our gate last year by 9:00 AM without even really trying that hard.  Our flight was at approx 11:45 AM so we had plenty of time to spare, however, we breezed through security with a premium class ticket.  

I did a mock flight booking on an Alaska  Seattle RT cruise and yes, Princess "approves" the earliest flight available is 11:00 am

BTW-

If you post this question on the board for "West Coast Departures", you will also get good detailed information.

A lot of people seem to really downplay the Princess transfers.  We have had very good luck with them.  As others have said...you'll pay a little bit more but we feel the convenience factor is worth the difference.  As to "getting there faster"...that all depends on the particular port in question.  Since Princess will not let you book a flight (assuming EzAir) before certain time constraints it basically come down to "Where do you want to wait?"  Personally, I would rather wait (if we must) sitting in a rather comfortable bus seat as opposed to the poor seating found at most airport gate areas.

Everyone has their own preferences and opinions.  Just my 2 cents worth!

• Like 1

We have done both.  Self disembark is usually early, around 7am or so when we did it.  The airport is about 15 miles so assume a 30 min cab ride.  To be honest we did Pricess Transfer in San Fran and we were able to make a 11:30 am flight, but it was close for me - the one who prefers to have over an hour to spare for anything.  I think you will be ok either way, but for trips where I only have a carry on I prefer self-disembark to get off early.

22 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

A lot of people seem to really downplay the Princess transfers.  We have had very good luck with them.  As others have said...you'll pay a little bit more but we feel the convenience factor is worth the difference.  As to "getting there faster"...that all depends on the particular port in question.  Since Princess will not let you book a flight (assuming EzAir) before certain time constraints it basically come down to "Where do you want to wait?"  Personally, I would rather wait (if we must) sitting in a rather comfortable bus seat as opposed to the poor seating found at most airport gate areas.

Everyone has their own preferences and opinions.  Just my 2 cents worth!

The Alaska Lounge at SeaTac is the best of the best.  I'd rather wait there any day...I feel as though I am still on the cruise.  Of course, you have to splurge for a premium seat on the flight but it's one way to ensure my husband will go on cruises that aren't out of our home port any day.