No White Pass & Yukon Railway Trips into Canada Past the Summit

JT1962

Disappointing news

https://wpyr.com/updates/

Cross Border Tours – Service Suspended for 2022 Operating Season

After months of working towards restoring the Carcross and Fraser Train Service Combination, we unfortunately must announce that we are unable to provide these offerings for the 2022 Season.  We have delayed this difficult decision for several months in the hopes that we could find a workable solution for all involved and provide passenger service on these international routes.  The challenges of logistics, restrictions, and uncertainty around wait times would have made it impossible for us to provide a consistent high quality service without delays and would create significant disruption to the passenger experience.

We respect and appreciate the time and efforts of our communities, staff, partners, customers, and governmental agencies at all levels in both Canada and the United States over the last year to try to bring this to fruition.  Though we could not complete the task in time for this season, we will continue to work together towards restoring this service for 2023.

For those booked on Fraser and Carcross train service this summer, our reservation staff will be reaching out to discuss your travel options and provide an alternative service on our White Pass Summit Excursion offering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Disappointing news

https://wpyr.com/updates/

Cross Border Tours – Service Suspended for 2022 Operating Season

After months of working towards restoring the Carcross and Fraser Train Service Combination, we unfortunately must announce that we are unable to provide these offerings for the 2022 Season.  We have delayed this difficult decision for several months in the hopes that we could find a workable solution for all involved and provide passenger service on these international routes.  The challenges of logistics, restrictions, and uncertainty around wait times would have made it impossible for us to provide a consistent high quality service without delays and would create significant disruption to the passenger experience.

We respect and appreciate the time and efforts of our communities, staff, partners, customers, and governmental agencies at all levels in both Canada and the United States over the last year to try to bring this to fruition.  Though we could not complete the task in time for this season, we will continue to work together towards restoring this service for 2023.

For those booked on Fraser and Carcross train service this summer, our reservation staff will be reaching out to discuss your travel options and provide an alternative service on our White Pass Summit Excursion offering.

Have booked the railway, but never done it, understand it is cut short by 7,3 miles, is this important not to miss?

Also, our tour involves a busride to Fraser and back by train, does the bus go the the White Pass Summit????

Fraser-Meadows-Steam-Map-for-Web.jpg

WP-Summit-Excursion-Map-for-Web 2.jpg

Edited by Alphen

53 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Have booked the railway, but never done it, understand it is cut short by 7,3 miles, is this important not to miss?

Also, our tour involves a busride to Fraser and back by train, does the bus go the the White Pass Summit????

Guess I already found the answer, since the bus/train option is not offered by WPYR for 2022.

24 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Guess I already found the answer, since the bus/train option is not offered by WPYR for 2022.

The transfers between the train & bus are done at Fraser and can’t be done at the summit. The roundtrip train excursion to the summit is well worth doing, especially if you have never done it. 

• Like 1

Dang it.  I have the Yukon and White Pass railway excursion booked through Norwegian.  I am expecting it to get canceled since we're supposed to board the train in Fraser.  I'm bummed, we are taking my mother in law on her first cruise and first trip to Alaska and it's the one thing she really wanted to do.

The round trip train ride to the summit is still going.  According to WPYR you do not exit the train at the summit.  Since you do not step foot on Canadian soil, it's still ok.  All the other variations of the train that allow people to exit the train in Canada that are cancelled.  So anything with Fraser, Bennett, Corcrosse, etc., anything with a bus / train combo - all cancelled.

• Like 1

So this excursion, which doesn’t stop in Canada, should be ok:  “No trip to Alaska is complete without a ride on the White Pass & Yukon Route narrow gauge railroad. Take the unforgettable journey aboard the "Scenic Railway of the World" and travel from tidewater to the summit of White Pass, a 2,865 foot elevation. Ride 40 miles round-trip in vintage rail cars as you retrace the original route to White Pass Summit passing Bridal Veil Falls, Inspiration Point and Dead Horse Gulch. This fully narrated tour features panoramic views of mountains, gorges, waterfalls, tunnels, trestles and historic sites. See the original Klondike Trail of '98 worn into the rocks, a tribute to the thousands that took this route to seek their fortune. The narrow gauge railroad is a designated International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, shared with the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty.”

• Thanks 1

Disappointing that the trip to Carcross cannot be done in 2022.  That was a shore excursion highlight for me and I would do it again.  Yet, since there remains a rail trip available, I would recommend folks consider that.  

As so noted if you haven't taken the WPYRR trip of any kind - it is still a WONDER not to be

missed - the trips to the Summit and return offer plenty of other opportunities to explore

Skagway. Beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick LOL !

Get off of your lounge deck chair and make the most of what you have here today.

Depending on ship (port) time other alternatives:

Jeep Rental

Ferry Boat ride to Haines

Local food/dining and beverages

There could still be bus excursions ?

There is more to Skagway than a train ride !

Live the experience

#*#*#*#

HEADS UP WPYRR - something I wish for as being a railroad enthusiast is a visit to your

maintenance shop to see the equipment - see how it is restored maintained and short

rides on the ole steam locomotive 

I do not understand the reasoning here. Cross-border bus routes have been reinstated in recent weeks. Cross-border rail routes operated by Amtrak on its three routes (New York-Montreal, New York-Toronto, Seattle-Vancouver) have not yet been reinstated, my understanding being that it is largely because of Amtrak staffing. Immigration and Customs in both countries have not made anything easier, and in recent years have targeted rail travelers for objectionable treatment (e.g., compelling all passengers to alight from trains at the border, and drag themselves and all their baggage into the station building for inspection . . . image the same being imposed for White Pass Route passengers having to do the same at Fraser!). The press release from the White Pass Route does not make clear if fault here lies with the railroad, with Immigration and Customs, or both. Additionally, the explanation within the press release that affected passengers could travel on a White Pass excursion does no good for passengers who desire transportation--particularly one-way transportation--to Fraser, Carcross, or Whitehorse, be it for business or pleasure. No mention is made if bus service between Skagway and Whitehorse will be provided. All together both a disappointing decision and a disappointing press release.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mrsturkelton said:

Dang it.  I have the Yukon and White Pass railway excursion booked through Norwegian.  I am expecting it to get canceled since we're supposed to board the train in Fraser.  I'm bummed, we are taking my mother in law on her first cruise and first trip to Alaska and it's the one thing she really wanted to do.

I didn't do enough research my first trip to Alaska and really enjoyed the roundtrip one that you can still book.

On 4/6/2022 at 8:33 PM, sunsetme said:

can you still drive to Carcross on your own??

Yes, you can drive yourself between the United States and Canada, and you can travel by motorcoach between the United States and Canada. That's what makes the railroad situation so frustrating. Both White Pass Route and Amtrak (the only two international passenger railroads currently serving the United States, though work continues on restoring the international trackage of the Baja California Railroad so as to resume passenger service between the United States and Mexico) are being adversely affected.

17 hours ago, Gramma of Boys said:

So the bus-only tours will still be a go?

Chilkoot Charters is still offering 2 bus tour options - one to the summit only and a longer tour to the Yukon to Carcross & Emerald Lake. You will need a passport / passport card and to use the ArriveCAN app no more than 3 days prior to your arrival to get approval to enter Canada for the longer trip. 

• Like 1

I would take the train both ways and avoid the ArriveCan and possible random testing issues. With the scenery being the same in both directions, perhaps they'll do what a train we took in Norway did, and have people change sides at the top. Then everyone gets the better view.

And yes, there's more to Skagway than the train. There is a great microbrewery for lunch, and the National Park has some museums. There's good shopping--LOCAL stores. Honestly, who can resist checking out a store called Buckshot and Bobby Pins????

On 4/6/2022 at 9:50 AM, shuyak said:

@JT1962, thank you for the alert!  Will wait to see what arrangements HAL will make for our upcoming Yukon part of the cruisetour.

We received email from HAL this morning informing us the cruisetour Skagway to Fraiser OW train will be replaced by Skagway to Summit RT train.  Assuming we will take the RT train ride then bus from Skagway to Whitehorse.  👍

On 4/10/2022 at 9:45 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I would take the train both ways and avoid the ArriveCan and possible random testing issues. With the scenery being the same in both directions, perhaps they'll do what a train we took in Norway did, and have people change sides at the top. Then everyone gets the better view

And yes, there's more to Skagway than the train. There is a great microbrewery for lunch, and the National Park has some museums. There's good shopping--LOCAL stores. Honestly, who can resist checking out a store called Buckshot and Bobby Pins????

there's no random testing for shore excursions 

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise?wbdisable=true

• if you’re entering Canada as part of an excursion during the cruise, you won’t be selected for arrival testing