Breakaway does 360 deg turn sails away from Roatan

cruisegus

28 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

RCL's ship docked too close so Breakaway  couldnt debark at port. They went out for a sea day once they could not let passengers off. That is according to someone in a cruise group that is on the cruise now.

...I'm sure that's going over well onboard right now. 😲

• Like 1

I know I would be upset next Wednesday if this happens. The good thing is we port an hour before RCL next week so, that is good. Costa Maya is a useless stop for us next week with only 5 hours. Not really worth even stopping. 

Edited by bigrednole

If marinetraffic.com has the position accurate, Liberty is docked way too far back on that pier to allow another ship at the neighboring pier.

I wonder who made THAT decision for the placement of Liberty along the pier and if that person will be held accountable in some way.  This is more than a ship skipping because seas were rough (had that in Costa Maya on my cruise), this was a conscious decision by someone to put that ship where it is.  The port loses tourism $ from shopping and excursions, NCL loses some from the markup on the excursions they have to reimburse plus the complaints from the passengers that the port was skipped...

13 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

If a ship makes a 360' turn it is headed right back to where it originally was heading.  Someone failed HS geometry I think.

Yup my mistake,  just sitting down for that first cup of coffee 

• Like 2

it was interesting, she was cruising right behind us, I saw the pilot head out.  She started her spin, then stoped broad side to us and held for much longer than normal if turning to back in, next thing I see is the pilot boat heading out again, she finishes her turn, aft to us, just before the pilot boat reaches her, she takes off and pilot returns.

I'm not a captain or a seafarer but looks like enough room to fit at the other dock to me.

Maybe everyone is a little skitish are the incident at Puerto Playa.

Edited by cruisegus

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Costa Maya has an unprotected dock.  When the winds are blowing, Captains make the choice NOT to dock at all.  I used to know a Norwegian Captain that would call Costa Maya, " Costa Missa".

This was at Roatan...