which alaska destination is the best for a first timer senior

smith6

Hi We  are interested in taking a Alaska cruise but are not familiar with any of the ports. We have done several Carribean cruises and this would be a first Alaskan cruise. We are seniors so would not be interested in anything with strenuous dog sledding or iceburg jumping tours etc. Any information on Alaska cruises would be interested. Thank you. 

Look for an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. Princes & Holland America have the most cruises that include Glacier Bay. The White Pass & Yukon Railway in Skagway is excellent and both historic & has beautiful scenery. Juneau has excellent whale watching excursions, the Mendenhall Glacier (requires some walking to see Nugget Falls) and the Mt Roberts tram. Ketchikan has interesting parks with totem poles and historic Creek Street (requires some walking). Victoria has Butchcart Gardens. 

• Like 1

Are you asking about 2022 or 2023? Almost all of the cruises go to the same ports so what you asked is about the last question to answer. Do you have preference of cruise lines? Do you want Seattle or Vancouver BC departures? Do you want one way with more ports and flights to different cities or round trip with fewer ports and less flight hassles?

If you want the easiest I vote for Seattle round trip. May have little rougher couple sea days as you go west of Vancouver Island but no Canada border issues. 

NCL and some others in Ketchikan park 20-30 min out of town. Glacier Bay is a good suggestion and we have enjoyed Hubbard Glacier as well. The next thing to check is in port times. Some cruise have less then desirable times in my opinion. 

The Skagway train is a mess right now as they just canceled the trips into Canada so lots of people are scrambling. The Alaska excursions are quite expensive, fill up fast and not many good ones left at the pier. Once you know your dates work on them. Don't pick any cruise after Sept for sure and maybe not even late Sept because of the weather. sightcrr

• Like 1

For your first cruise I would recommend the scenic smooth sailing of the inside passage out of Vancouver.  Look at Holland America for fewer children and /or families traveling together with grandparents.  You should include #1 Glacier Bay or #2 Hubbard Glacier .  Glacier Bay is a National Park and you will enjoy a day of sailing narrated by the rangers.  Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway or Sitka would round out the trip.  Check out the excursions offered in each location and go to the online visitor information for each town.  There is a lot of information at online Alaska travel sites.  It’s all about the scenery.  There are a lot of viewing areas on the ships inside and out and a balcony will give you an instant scenic view as you awake in the mornings.  

• Like 2

Senior here. I also recommend sailing out of Vancouver- although I first recommend checking on flights home. Flying out of Anchorage can often mean very late night flights. If that is true, consider flying into and sailing from Anchorage and flying out of Vancouver. 

Many of the excursions are great for seniors. Whale watching in Juneau or Icy Straight Point. Glacier Bay is wonderful. The train is great and relaxing. The Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour in Ketchikan and the float plane out to Misty Fiord both get great reviews and I have enjoyed both. There are many many excursions that are perfectly fine for seniors. Decide on your ship and see what they offer- then go with them or search out independent tours. 

Alaska cruises are very different from the Caribbean ones- the focus really is on the ports and the scenery.   No long leisurely beach days. So exploring the excursions is important. 

Both HAL and Princess provide an excellent Alaskan cruise experience.  My most recent experience (2019), with cruises on Coral Princess and on Westerdam, I would give Princess the edge.

Ketchikan:  A flightseeing tour where the plane will land on a lake in Misty Fjords and you can step out onto the plane's floats for a few minutes.  It's an unforgettable and scenic experience.  You won't believe the silence!

Juneau:  The 5 Glacier and Taku Lodge Salmon Lunch/Dinner tour is an excellent experience.  With the possibility of a Bear arriving during the time you are there to help him/herself to the drippings on the outdoor grill that the Lodge uses to cook the Salmon.  

Juneau:  A visit to the Alaska State Museum is one I recommend.  Tours of their unique State Capitol building are usually available.

Juneau:  a seafood lunch at one of the many restaurants/cafes.  I recommend Alaska Fish & Chips Company in the green building at the head of the cruise ship piers.  The best Halibut I have ever eaten!

Skagway:  the train trip up/down the mountain.  The National Park Service has interesting information that helps one to explore the community on your own.

Sitka:  their wildlife center was interesting as well as visiting the sites that link the community to its Russian heritage.  Visiting the small Russian Orthodox Church was quite interesting.  At the time I did so, it was the first Church of that denomination I had visited.  

Glaciers:  A cruise that combines a visit to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier would be a prime consideration of mine.  

• Like 1

I would say Glacier Bay. If you can get an itinerary with Glacier Bay and Hubbard both, that would be good. 

Look at times in port. For examples - if you are in Juneau from 2-10, it is very limiting. I am ok with Ketchikan with 7-2 as this is my least favorite port.

If you don't mind fairly long boat trips, I'd highly recommend 6 hour Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward and the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm out of Juneau.  Some cruise itineraries have an excursion that drops passengers off to a smaller boat in Tracy Arm that then continues onto Juneau where you cruise ship is waiting.  Tracy Arm is beautiful but you can rarely get into it on a cruise ship.  Much better luck with smaller excursion boat.

• Like 1

If your budget allows, I recommend doing a one-way cruise Anchorage-Vancouver. W did the southbound one in 2018 (HAL Noordam) and took the train from Anchorage to Seward to get to the ship. That was one of my favorite parts of the whole cruise, beautiful views of coastlines and even small glaciers. We splurged and got the car w/ the glass top so we didn't have to deal with trying to get a little time in the viewing area that everyone else shared. You also get a meal and priority service in the dining car.

I also recommend Glacier Bay. Love how the spun the ship around for everyone to see.

We went to Haines,  and we just rented a car and drove up to Canada (stopped to see eagles and such in one area). Next time, i hope to do Skagway and do the train/bus combo.

Was hoping to go back this year w/ a deal I got from Carnival (Seattle round trip), but flight were too outrageous. Maybe another time - enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

You will have a great trip.  We did the R/T out of Vancouver with Holland America on the Volendam. As mentioned, they go to Glacier Bay.   The food was good.  Our cruise offered an excursion to board a small boat at the beginning of Tracy Arm.   You cruise up to Sawyer glacier, then meet up with the ship in Juneau.  This does cut into your time there.  

I like going in mid-August.  Less ice up the arm, and you will surely make it all the way.  

On 4/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, Straitlover said:

If your budget allows, I recommend doing a one-way cruise Anchorage-Vancouver. W did the southbound one in 2018 (HAL Noordam) and took the train from Anchorage to Seward to get to the ship. That was one of my favorite parts of the whole cruise, beautiful views of coastlines and even small glaciers. We splurged and got the car w/ the glass top so we didn't have to deal with trying to get a little time in the viewing area that everyone else shared. You also get a meal and priority service in the dining car.

I also recommend Glacier Bay. Love how the spun the ship around for everyone to see.

We went to Haines,  and we just rented a car and drove up to Canada (stopped to see eagles and such in one area). Next time, i hope to do Skagway and do the train/bus combo.

Was hoping to go back this year w/ a deal I got from Carnival (Seattle round trip), but flight were too outrageous. Maybe another time - enjoy your trip!

Where did you rent a car in Haines?