Airport to return to Canada from NYC

Stonymtncruiser

We are looking at doing a cruise which will return us to NYC Nov17. Looking at flying to Wpg from NYC and there are 3 options. One from JFK, one from LaGuardia Airport and one from Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR). We have flown from LaGuardia before but are wondering if one of the others is a better option. They all leave within a hour of each other so that is not the issue. Looking at ease of access from the cruise terminal and facilities and ease of boarding at the airport. Any help would be appreciated. 

6 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

What’s the port in NYC?  Manhattan, Red Hook, Cape Liberty?

Looks like the OP is a Carnival and NCL cruiser.... I'd guess the ship will dock in Manhattan.  Id use either LGW or EWR but not JFK.  Sort of depends on how he/she plans to travel.  We have no problems using subway and bus to LGA so I'd probably opt for that.

EWR (Newark) consistently has the bumpiest take offs and landings due to the wind patterns - my husband refuses to fly from there.  Based on that, when we are together it is LGA, if it is just me then EWR for Bayonne departures, LGA for Manhattan. 

As others have said, the optimal airport depends which port you are using, but I have used all three NYC airports in the past and my personal preference is EWR, primarily because it's easy to get to/from via NJ Transit from Penn Station. Not many flights from Toronto to JFK so it's usually not an option for me (though LIRR is comparable to NJ Transit in time/cost to Penn) and very poor transit connections at LGA. 

Edited by cmich068
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HSBC said:

I'll take Princess transfer from cruise port to New York airport.  Which airport would you pick to fly back to Toronto, EWR or LGA?

Thanks!

Princess uses Brooklyn, right? I'd personally pick LGA, but you're looking at roughly 30 minutes either way. 

Edited by cmich068
  • Like 1

The optimal choice really depends on which cruise terminal the ship is disembarking at.   

If it's Red Hook, either LGA or JFK.  Personally, I prefer LGA -- it's smaller and more manageable. 

If it's the west side of Manhattan,  LGA -- it's the closest. 

If it's New Jersey,  EWR. 

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HSBC said:

All,

I don't know where will Princess ship disembark.

Based on the above advice, it seems that LGA is the best choice.

Thanks!

With Princess, you will disembark at the Red Hook, Brooklyn terminal.  LGA is a good choice.

Edited by d9704011

I suppose it depends on your definition of "optimal".  Is a closer airport from the port better than having a cheaper flight?  Or is a direct flight compared to one with multiple stops better? Do you also consider the time of the flight?  Are you rushing to get there or do you have to wait hours for your flight.  Optimal means different things to different people.  

In our case for our upcoming cruise to Bayonne, we determined our "optimal" airport was LGA. Although it is further than Newark, the flight is direct to Toronto at a reasonable time.  It is also on an airline we want to take and the price was too good to resist.  Will our savings be used up by the taxi or Uber?  Probably, but the other factors important to us weighed into our decision.  Good luck and have a great cruise!

1 hour ago, wtaggart said:

What’s the best way to get from Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal to LaGuardia airport on May 13 after the Bermuda, Charleston, Newport Cruise on Celebrity Summit? Share a limo anyone?

If you are looking to share a ride, I'd suggest that you post your question on your Roll Call.

We're going the other way and leave from NYC May 2 from Cape Liberty.  Fly in a day before direct Toronto to Newark, free shuttle from airport to hotel in NJ, and 15 minute cab from hotel to Cape Liberty.  Factoring in cabs, buses, subways, etc with baggage through New York City sounds like an expensive, logistic nightmare to me.  If you are docking directly in Manhattan or east of it other airports would may be a better choice.  If you plan on staying an extra day or so be prepared for massive sticker shock on hotel rooms as well.  NYC ain't cheap to sleep.  We've been to NYC before and always stay in NJ for cheaper accommodation and take ferry service across to NYC proper.  So when ship leaves from NJ is was an easy choice for us.