Group Live Ruby Princess 4/16-4/30

CineGraphic

We have dinner each night in the Botticelli dining room……..what a mess to get in.  There’s no line for reservations only and for those just showing up. There’s no “holding” room, people stacked up the stairs. I understand the first night…..it’s usually disorganized. Formal night, yes that’s often disorganized as well. Will see how tonight goes. I tried to change reservations to a different venue but only Botticelli was available. Anyone else having dinner issues? We may have to settle for the buffet. ☹️

6 minutes ago, grak said:

We have dinner each night in the Botticelli dining room……..what a mess to get in.  There’s no line for reservations only and for those just showing up. There’s no “holding” room, people stacked up the stairs. I understand the first night…..it’s usually disorganized. Formal night, yes that’s often disorganized as well. Will see how tonight goes. I tried to change reservations to a different venue but only Botticelli was available. Anyone else having dinner issues? We may have to settle for the buffet. ☹️

What time are you trying to get a table?

We have a 5:00 time but I’d just like to change dining rooms but just won’t happen. I went to guest services and she showed me what to do but I guess nothing is available unless we want to eat really late which we don’t,

40 minutes ago, grak said:

Just off the 4/11 Ruby.  Dining reservations mean absolutely nothing and there is no organization.  It will not get better.  We bailed out and went to the buffet several nights, eating in the quieter area towards the back (Cafe Caribe).  The food was pretty good...  just not a lot of choice.  

Edited by julia

1 hour ago, grak said:

Did you call the dine line from your cabin?

They helped me change my DR on the CB.

If not tonight, maybe the rest of the cruise?  If not, find out what other MDR there is and show up early to talk to the Maitre’d …Or DR Manager? Thanks 

29 minutes ago, julia said:

Just off the 4/11 Ruby.  Dining reservations mean absolutely nothing and there is no organization.  It will not get better.  We bailed out and went to the buffet several nights, eating in the quieter area towards the back (Cafe Caribe).  The food was pretty good...  just not a lot of choice.  

😞 

1 hour ago, grak said:

We’ve found no problems with Botticelli, and we’re happy with the experience there.

The dining room and experience inside, staff, and food…all good. Just the many people crowding into a small area ….  Many with no reservations or who arrive 30 minutes before their time.  Just not a positive experience.

Thanks for the suggestion of trying another DR and talking to the DR manager.

• Like 1

We have standing 7:30 dinner reservations in Botticelli.  Same table, same servers.  We really like being able to get our group of 6 together for dinner each night. 

On the first night we were asked if we liked the table and would like to reserve it every night.  We said sure, I'm thankful we did.  Last night was wild trying to get in there, formal night, Easter.  We walked right up to a line on the right and only had to wait a few minutes while others with reservations were checking in ahead of us.  Those without reservations were lined up a flight of stairs.  Dinner has been good, service excellent, (both cocktails and food).  

We were finished in time 9:10, to get to the 9:30 show.  

We have found the musical group Supersonics to be one of our favorites.  After the show in the main Princess Theater, we head to the venue where they are playing. Wonderful singer and band.  

Santa Barbara today.  4 of us stayed on board, 2 went to town.  Many folks opted to stay on board. 

Really enjoying the cruise, the Ruby, the staff.

No pounding, hammering, drilling today.  YAY!   My thought is because the tenders leave from right under where the work is being done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

There are about 2000 on board, which is 55% occupancy. They can’t sail full due to CDC requirements for isolation cabins for new crew members and passengers with Covid.

Hummmm, I wonder why Estine at Guest services told me the ship is full?   Maybe holding back cabins for quarantine?  Not putting people in cabins that need work?   

Who knows, all I know is I'm happy to be finally cruising, not cooking meals, getting fresh sea air when I walk the decks, seeing happy smiling faces/eyes (with and without masks) wherever I go.

1 hour ago, jascritz said:

We’ve found no problems with Botticelli, and we’re happy with the experience there.

What time are you going?  Maybe I need to try and set up something for later.

26 minutes ago, SFO-F/A said:

We have standing 7:30 dinner reservations in Botticelli.  Same table, same servers.  We really like being able to get our group of 6 together for dinner each night. 

On the first night we were asked if we liked the table and would like to reserve it every night.  We said sure, I'm thankful we did.  Last night was wild trying to get in there, formal night, Easter.  We walked right up to a line on the right and only had to wait a few minutes while others with reservations were checking in ahead of us.  Those without reservations were lined up a flight of stairs.  Dinner has been good, service excellent, (both cocktails and food).  

We were finished in time 9:10, to get to the 9:30 show.  

We have found the musical group Supersonics to be one of our favorites.  After the show in the main Princess Theater, we head to the venue where they are playing. Wonderful singer and band.  

Santa Barbara today.  4 of us stayed on board, 2 went to town.  Many folks opted to stay on board. 

Really enjoying the cruise, the Ruby, the staff.

No pounding, hammering, drilling today.  YAY!   My thought is because the tenders leave from right under where the work is being done.

I'm not sure if you have the answer, but I'll ask it anyway. On our upcoming cruise, we'll be in Club Class dining. Prior to the pandemic, it was anytime dining and we were not required to make a reservation ahead of time. Is that still the case for CC dining?

54 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm not sure if you have the answer, but I'll ask it anyway. On our upcoming cruise, we'll be in Club Class dining. Prior to the pandemic, it was anytime dining and we were not required to make a reservation ahead of time. Is that still the case for CC dining?

Yes, that’s still the case….no reservations required 

• Thanks 1

Club Class dining has several "waves" of diners.  First wave:  As soon as the doors open.  Second Wave 60-90 minutes later.  Third wave.  No matter...no crowds....just walk in.

The staff does not rush you out.  I usually do not linger since I know others are "waiting"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to our cruise on Saturday but I'm dreading the dinner situation.  We booked this cruise in July of 2020 shortly after our South American solar eclipse cruise on Coral Princess was cancelled.  At that time, we were just put down for early seating.  I didn't know about DMW until recently.  There were no reservations available prior to 830 so we don't have any reservations.  I don't understand why they messed up traditional dining. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

DMW should post a msg to that effect when launching.  Only use DMW to book SD locations and not for MDR if in Club Class.

They have finally done what you suggested. Here’s the message that we see for our upcoming cruise with CC dining.

image.thumb.png.89f615aa47d5d06f8d4fad4c62b77dfa.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KLM3164 said:

They have finally done what you suggested. Here’s the message that we see for our upcoming cruise with CC dining.

Yes, it has been that way for a little while which is why I mentioned the other poster should be seeing it.  Thanks for the photo - I can't post one as we don't have CC dining.

• Like 1

It’s a beautiful day in San Pedro.

Pam and I walked 5 miles today, and had some wonderful lunch on the way back at the San Pedro Fish Market. A seagull was eyeing our shrimp and fries, but he had no idea who he was messing with. We also saw a new fire boat being tested. It was fun to watch how far the water canons could shoot. While we were sitting at the terrace pool, we saw the Crown Princess sail by. According to MarineTraffic, she’s docking here in San Pedro, probably after we depart for San Diego in an hour or two.

A243C701-F694-4E75-A601-7F7B1D32F4E7.jpeg

17EDEF3B-234C-4472-A4A1-1CA6076A658A.jpeg

6FB82B71-3DF8-4FE4-8CCC-D94EF542267B.jpeg

9670EC85-4A64-47A1-9842-E2BBE4E38350.jpeg

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

the number of folks who prefer traditional dining has declined greatly over the years, and continue to do so.

Not so sure about that when 50% of MDR space was allocated to TD and has always seemed quite occupied to me.  Well, I don't go to the DR's late, but I figure even the AT used to be lightly used by 8pm.  I get what you are trying to say, but I think you exaggerated the situation.

• Like 1

I guess that I just never paid attention as to where we were going to dock for this LA port stop. I just assumed it would be at the regular San Pedro cruise pier but since we never planned on getting off I never bothered to check. I was surprised and a little confused when I went out on my balcony this morning….where were we??? 😄 I then realized that we were docked down here at the end  of the channel…..down by the Doubletree harbor area. I’ve never docked here for a port call. 

• Like 2