What to do in these ports of call!? Allure of the Seas

It’s been 3 years since I’ve been on a cruise (thank you COVID 🙃) and apparently I forgot all things cruise related like how to find excursions!? I used to be so good at this…

Anyways I’ll be sailing on Allure of the Seas (May 22nd - 28th) and I can’t seem to find any excursions worthwhile so I’m looking for a bit of help. 

Ports of call are: 

Roatan, Honduras : (would love to see some monkeys/sloths and go to a nice beach). Will be cruising with friends who can’t swim but for some reason would like to book the shipwreck snorkel & beach break through Royal!?

Cozumel, Mexico

Costa Maya, Mexico 

Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

Back in January (2022) we did this same itinerary. We didn't even get off the ship in Honduras as we have been there several times (we usually go to "Little French Key", a very nice, private resort).

In Cozumel we just went and searched on-line and chartered a little boat to go snorkeling (there were 4 of us).

In "Costa Maya" we just walked off the ship, rented a 6 seater "golf cart" and drove around, found a beach and just enjoyed a relaxing day. 

We had this itinerary in 2019 b/c we wanted to go to Roatan for the first time but sadly high winds prevented the ship from docking there. 😭 We had a private tour arranged with Ronny's Tours there. Basically a driver will take you to see whatever you tell him. We were going to see sloths/Monkeys then visit a few other places.

Cozumel we've been to several times and just walk around the port to shop for a bit and get back on the ship.

Costa Maya has lots of beach resorts. This was a last minute cruise for us so the more popular ones (Maya Chan, Jamie's) were sold out. We went to a smaller one called Nohoch Kay and loved it.

Edited by OCSC Mike

We always book independently with Nachi Cocom beach club while in Cozumel. It's about a 15 minute ride to their from the port. It's always very clean, the employees are very nice and the food is excellent. You let your server know what time you wish to go back and they will call a taxi for you to return. 

There are some sloth and monkey excursions in Roatan that I noticed on Royal's excursion pages. We have also gone to Maya Key in Roatan through a ship's excursion. There is the beach, a pool, animal habitats (we got to interact and hold a monkey). There is a buffet included that is wonderful. 

I have never booked an excursion in Costa Maya. We normally hang around the pool area at the port and enjoy guacamole and margaritas. 

Have fun sailing again!

3 hours ago, GEORGIEGIRL said:

Back in January (2022) we did this same itinerary. We didn't even get off the ship in Honduras as we have been there several times (we usually go to "Little French Key", a very nice, private resort).

In Cozumel we just went and searched on-line and chartered a little boat to go snorkeling (there were 4 of us).

In "Costa Maya" we just walked off the ship, rented a 6 seater "golf cart" and drove around, found a beach and just enjoyed a relaxing day. 

Thank you for your suggestions! I have to put some research in about Little French Key. A nice private beach is exactly what I’m looking for. I saw Royal has a “Big French Key” excursion which I’m assuming isn’t the same thing

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

We had this itinerary in 2019 b/c we wanted to go to Roatan for the first time but sadly high winds prevented the ship from docking there. 😭 We had a private tour arranged with Ronny's Tours there. Basically a driver will take you to see whatever you tell him. We were going to see sloths/Monkeys then visit a few other places.

Cozumel we've been to several times and just walk around the port to shop for a bit and get back on the ship.

Costa Maya has lots of beach resorts. This was a last minute cruise for us so the more popular ones (Maya Chan, Jamie's) were sold out. We went to a smaller one called Nohoch Kay and loved it.

Thank you for your suggestions! Oh no, I hope that doesn’t happen to us. Roatan is the only port I’m actually excited about going to haha 

2 hours ago, MellowMel said:

We always book independently with Nachi Cocom beach club while in Cozumel. It's about a 15 minute ride to their from the port. It's always very clean, the employees are very nice and the food is excellent. You let your server know what time you wish to go back and they will call a taxi for you to return. 

There are some sloth and monkey excursions in Roatan that I noticed on Royal's excursion pages. We have also gone to Maya Key in Roatan through a ship's excursion. There is the beach, a pool, animal habitats (we got to interact and hold a monkey). There is a buffet included that is wonderful. 

I have never booked an excursion in Costa Maya. We normally hang around the pool area at the port and enjoy guacamole and margaritas. 

Have fun sailing again!

Thank you! Unfortunately that monkey and sloth excursion has been sold out since I booked 😭 still stalking the cruise planner to see if a couple spots open up. I do believe Maya Key is still available, so I have to check that out!

Roatan: Diving and snorkeling. West Bay Beach is the place to be for sure.  Snorkeling there is a life-changing experience. The wall is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Cozumel: Honestly, I'd get on the ferry and go to Playa Del Carmen/Tulum. 5va is a great walking street, with lots to see, eat and do...and prices are lower than Cozumel. I am a big fan of Cerveceria Chapultapec (https://goo.gl/maps/zqpMxr5vYksRC1b5A).  Great atmosphere, and really great prices. There's always a chance a cartel will come in and cut everyone down with machine guns, but the good deals are worth that chance.  If you're committed to staying in Cozumel, I'd just get a day pass to Hotel B.

Costa Maya: Seriously, F##K Costa Maya. Stay on the ship that day. It's a waste of time and money to even bother getting off the ship there. There are very few ports that I hate more than Costa Maya, and I've pretty much seen them all. It is everything that is bad about cruising...all crammed into a walled-in Mexican theme park full of gringos, and really sad dolphins.  Seriously...stay on the ship that day, or get as far away from Costa Maya as possible. Don't give that abomination of a port your hard earned money.

Edited by miraflores
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

In Costa Maya four of us took the ship excursion to Chacchoben Mayan Ruins.  It is approximately an hour bus drive from the port but we all really enjoyed the site.  The ruins are nice and the site is lovely: lots of shade and tropical plants.  I should add that my husband are big Mayan ruin fans and have been to those of Chichen Itza and Tulum in Mexico, Tikal in Guatemala, and Copan in Honduras. Chaccohoben is smaller in size that the others, but still well worth a visit.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, miraflores said:

Roatan: Diving and snorkeling. West Bay Beach is the place to be for sure.  Snorkeling there is a life-changing experience. The wall is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen.

Cozumel: Honestly, I'd get on the ferry and go to Playa Del Carmen/Tulum. 5va is a great walking street, with lots to see, eat and do...and prices are lower than Cozumel. I am a big fan of Cerveceria Chapultapec (https://goo.gl/maps/zqpMxr5vYksRC1b5A).  Great atmosphere, and really great prices. There's always a chance a cartel will come in and cut everyone down with machine guns, but the good deals are worth that chance.  If you're committed to staying in Cozumel, I'd just get a day pass to Hotel B.

Costa Maya: Seriously, F##K Costa Maya. Stay on the ship that day. It's a waste of time and money to even bother getting off the ship there. There are very few ports that I hate more than Costa Maya, and I've pretty much seen them all. It is everything that is bad about cruising...all crammed into a walled-in Mexican theme park full of gringos, and really sad dolphins.  Seriously...stay on the ship that day, or get as far away from Costa Maya as possible. Don't give that abomination of a port your hard earned money.

Just as well there are plenty of alternatives in all these ports so everyone can choose what suits them.

51 minutes ago, SCruiseFam said:

Thank you for your suggestions! I have to put some research in about Little French Key. A nice private beach is exactly what I’m looking for. I saw Royal has a “Big French Key” excursion which I’m assuming isn’t the same thing

Good idea to do your research on Little French Key. People’s opinions are very diverse from it being the best/worst place ever, depending on your point of view. I have never been therefore cannot comment other than to say it appears to have become very over-developed and a far cry from what the original owner said were his intentions.

Big French Key is a different key but shares a  bay with Little French Key. I haven’t seen many reviews for Big French Key. Little French Key used to have many reviews on the Roatan  board and Trip Advisor will also have reviews.

39 minutes ago, miraflores said:

Get out of the walled in area..Mahahual is a pretty neat little town…

Some folks like to visit the Pharmacies in the area…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SCruiseFam said:

Thank you! Unfortunately that monkey and sloth excursion has been sold out since I booked 😭 still stalking the cruise planner to see if a couple spots open up. I do believe Maya Key is still available, so I have to check that out!

If a private tour (not through RC) is an option, Rony's Tours will take you to see sloths and monkeys (as will others). I understand there are personal comfort levels that may or may not be related to Covid but just wanted to reiterate that.

We were very upset about missing Roatan so I wish you better luck. This itinerary returns to my home port next summer (I'm an hour from Canaveral) on Wonder and even though the prices are awful right now, we'll almost definitely be going.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, miraflores said:

Hahaha! I don’t doubt your take on Costa Maya. I can’t find any recent reviews of anything to do there! I always perfer to stay on the ship at one of the ports, I guess this one will be it 😵

Edited by SCruiseFam

3 hours ago, miraflores said:

Any shallow areas at the West Bay for snorkeling? Several people in the group I’m going with can’t swim but are really wanting to snorkel. 

Any shallow areas at the West Bay for snorkeling? Several people in the group I’m going with can’t swim but are really wanting to snorkel. 

Yes! You can swim out right from the beach. Everything is so close to shore there. It's truly an amazing place.

Lots of details of where to go and where the channel is from regulars on the Roatan board. Careful they don’t stand on the coral if they can’t swim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, miraflores said:

Yes! You can swim out right from the beach. Everything is so close to shore there. It's truly an amazing place.

I booked a day pass in Roatan thru Discover Roatan Excursions and Tours to Infinity Bay Resort (West Bay). Its a beautiful resort. Pretty beach. I was snorkeling 100 yards out and I could still stand up if I wanted. (on the sand not the coral) Nice bar, restaurant and pool right on the beach. You get a free drink. I think it was $52 for the day. Pickup was easy and you can choose the time you want to go back to the ship. They do monkey/sloth excursion also.

In Cozumel I just took a taxi to the Money Bar Beach Club. $12. There is snorkeling right next to the restaurant/bar with lounges and tables for the snorkelers. It was 10am so a little early to drink/eat so didn't utilize the restaurant. Only 6 people were snorkeling. Nice and easy also a shower and dive shop.

I didnt see anything of interest for me in Costa Maya. Enjoy the trip.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, RJ257 said:

I booked a day pass in Roatan thru Discover Roatan Excursions and Tours to Infinity Bay Resort (West Bay). Its a beautiful resort. Pretty beach. I was snorkeling 100 yards out and I could still stand up if I wanted. (on the sand not the coral) Nice bar, restaurant and pool right on the beach. You get a free drink. I think it was $52 for the day. Pickup was easy and you can choose the time you want to go back to the ship. They do monkey/sloth excursion also.

In Cozumel I just took a taxi to the Money Bar Beach Club. $12. There is snorkeling right next to the restaurant/bar with lounges and tables for the snorkelers. It was 10am so a little early to drink/eat so didn't utilize the restaurant. Only 6 people were snorkeling. Nice and easy also a shower and dive shop.

I didnt see anything of interest for me in Costa Maya. Enjoy the trip.

Did you utilize a table, chairs or restrooms at Money Bar, or just leave your stuff on the beach?