Pharmacy

luvtacruze

12 minutes ago, luvtacruze said:

Planning a first cruise on Panorama. Just wondering if there are any pharmacies in any of the ports like in Cozumel? I’d also like to know of “must see’s” in the ports! 
t

Thanks!

Being Mexico, I know quite a few people who buy pharmaceutical drugs while visiting…places are called Pharmacia.  Also, go the the Ports Of Call section of Cruise Critic for ideas on what people did while visiting the ports, maybe you’ll get some ideas.

You will be docking at Puerta Maya, a Carnival built, and in essence, Carnival owned. If you go through Puerta Maya port, go out to the main drag, you will find several pharmacia's on that street. Hard Rock Cafe and Margaritaville are in easy walking distance. If you google Cozumel cruise port, you can find out all the information you could ever use. 

19 minutes ago, luvtacruze said:

Planning a first cruise on Panorama. Just wondering if there are any pharmacies in any of the ports like in Cozumel? I’d also like to know of “must see’s” in the ports! 
t

Thanks!

You can get some great deals on meds in Cozumel, just make sure to check the expiration date on anything you buy there.  We found a larger grocery store with a pharmacy department, a couple blocks from the port (don't remember the name), but it was clean, everything was within date, very well stocked, prices were much better than the small Pharmacias.

3 hours ago, luvtacruze said:

t

Thanks!

You should check where Panorama sails to in Mexico, e.g. it's the west coast and doesn't go to Cozumel.

• 2 weeks later...

We generally buy drugs when in Cozumel. My asthmatic stepson says the inhalers are not quite as strong as the ones he gets in the US, BUT instead of paying $65+ here, we get them for 3 for $25. I also buy a series of other meds that are cheaper than US even with insurance. You just have to know what you want. There are a few shops much higher than others ... Walk down the main drag and look inside. One of our favorite places to shop is a large store selling t-shirts and regular tourist junk but has a large counter to one side selling meds.

• 2 months later...
On 4/20/2022 at 1:46 PM, pe4all said:

And just remember the drugs you buy at a Mexican pharmacy may not be as "pure" as the drugs you get from your local pharmacy.  Different fillers, etc.

If you are buying the same brand that you get at home, why wouldn't they be the same drug?  Would pharmacies or drug manufacturers sell inferior drugs to the citizens of Mexico?  What about buying drugs in any other Western country-Europe or Canada?  I have purchased drugs in all these areas and have found no difference.

12 hours ago, gadaboutgal said:

If you are buying the same brand that you get at home, why wouldn't they be the same drug?  Would pharmacies or drug manufacturers sell inferior drugs to the citizens of Mexico?  What about buying drugs in any other Western country-Europe or Canada?  I have purchased drugs in all these areas and have found no difference.

Not saying inferior - just may not be made/stored the same way.  This article is a few years old, but informative:

https://www.valleycentral.com/news/local-news/is-it-safe-to-buy-prescription-drugs-in-mexico/

Not sure I would buy my husband's cardiac medicine in Mexico, but have bought z-packs there.