A Fractured LIVE - Fractured My Ankle on Carnival Spirit - In hospital in Cartagena

TravelBluebird

You may want to have DH also contact Allianz at the claim phone number as well, couldn't hurt truthfully.  That way no one can say they were not contacted in a timely manner since the insurance is in your name, you never know?  

• Like 2

Really a tough “break.”  You and your husband stretch, walk and do yoga, and yet this unfortunate incident happened to you. So yes, it can happen to anyone.

Really enjoyed following you on your cruise. Wishing you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OddJob said:

Oh no!!  

Is the spirit 😉 of keeping it light ... at least you didn't gain 10 pounds and you didn't get a chance to be bored from the back to back sea days from Cabo to Seattle.

In all seriousness, I hope you are ok.

Thank you!  And that made me chuckle. ❤️

• Like 1

Wishing you only the best, and a speedy recovery.  When dd had appendicitis attack on Dream years ago, and we were off-loaded in Belize the port agent was wonderful.  Glad to hear yours is helping. My first call in Belize hospital was to Travelguard (travel insurance) and they asked if I had to lay out $$ before treatment started.  I had already given the hospital my credit card (NOTE:  always make sure you have cleared a credit card for out-of-the-country travel, and they put a travel alert on it) and did not need them to front the $$, but the offer was there.  Just a quick story to help lighten your mood:  dh went back to the ship to get our passports.  He was staying on the ship with my special needs daughter and the rest of the family we were traveling with.  Carnival gave him a small suitcase so he could pack me some clothes, which the port agent delivered it to me.  When I opened it what do I see?  A blue denim mini-skirt, a negligee, and heels.   No shorts, shirts,  pants, etc.  I only had the clothes on my back to wear for 3 days.  Luckily the hospital took pity on me and got me some scrubs and toiletries.  I couldn't even get mad at him, as he was so upset to be sailing away and leaving us "stranded" in Belize.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

55 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Sorry for the disjointed thoughts—all I can manage on the pain meds.

First your ankle and now your thoughts are disjointed. Allianz may want you to file a separate claim for your thoughts 🙂  Laughter is the best medicine. A speedy recovery to you.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Haha 3

As others have said, they likely just took the credit card to make sure you could afford to up to the amount the travel insurance would allow -- like a deposit.

Sending all the healing thoughts and best wishes.

Allianz told my husband to get doctor names and notes.  We would not have thought yo do that.  

Dr said medically we should fly First Class but hubby not finding anything that really works for that.  Couple of 2 Stop routes with partial first class.  He’s having trouble finding any 1 stop routes at all.  Any ideas?  

13 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Allianz told my husband to get doctor names and notes.  We would not have thought yo do that.  

Dr said medically we should fly First Class but hubby not finding anything that really works for that.  Couple of 2 Stop routes with partial first class.  He’s having trouble finding any 1 stop routes at all.  Any ideas?  

What's your home airport? I just helped someone in the same situation get to Nashville via DFW.

Have DH call the airlines you would use to get home and tell them you have a medical emergency and can they accommodate you?  Also, see if Allianz can assist in making travel arrangements for your medical emergency as they also have assistance available.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, luvcruzing said:

Really a tough “break.”  You and your husband stretch, walk and do yoga, and yet this unfortunate incident happened to you. So yes, it can happen to anyone.

Really enjoyed following you on your cruise. Wishing you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Right?  At hospital for MRI the tech said “ WOW you’re really strong” when I used my arms and good leg to go from gurney to MRI table,  and all I could think was “a lot of good that did me”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone.

Husband was able to retrieve one of our suitcases so I have some power now.

I found out the delay in surgery was so they could get the correct steel part/s for my ankle. 

Here are a couple photos; of me in Carnival Spirit’s medical bay; at the hospital, and then my ankle as I was waiting for transport from where the Fall was (husband took it...the shoe I had on are very good walking sandals that have taken me many, many miles, but I do have to wonder if closed toe shoes might have prevented such a serious fracture in the Fall? My ankle hit the side of a stair very hardx.

if you are squeamish stop now cause my ankle is...in an un natural position.  

These photos are quite a bit less glamorous than my usual, but honestly, anything can happen when we travel and you just have to be ready for it; we mentally are due to some earlier travel experiences we’ve had and we travel A LOT. All of us here are an adventurous group, and we all just need to be mentally prepared for when things go wrong.  

966B7322-B792-473C-A2C1-6B32A36E2A86.jpeg

38DCAF4D-C901-4343-AEE5-E01A6B56CF45.jpeg

8D3C3726-2FA9-4A07-83C7-0DF66488F47E.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

You are one strong woman! Thank God, you have a strong support network....first in YOURSELF! Then you husband, then the medical staff on the ship, then the insurance company, then the hospital in Cartagena(?), etc, etc, etc. I am amazed at your resiliency and how you are taking it. Keep up the spirit! We are all thinking about you! 👍 

• Like 5

OMG! I'm so sorry. Your ankle looks like a knotted pretzel. You're so much stronger than I am! Sometimes in life we experience freak accidents. Those gangways can be quite interesting to negotiate even with the best of walking shoes. I hope your surgery is successful, you get lots of TLC, and can make it back to Tenn. soon. Please keep us updated, if you can. We care about what happens to you.

Oh wow what an unfortunate thing to happen. When I saw your ankle pic I was reminded of this lady Mitsugirly that writes great trip reviews. She had a similar looking ankle after she took an unfortunate fall. I hope all goes well with your surgery and you get home to recover soon.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry this has happened to you! I'm afraid I had to scroll quickly past your pictures with my hand "covering" the screen (can't un-see things). Wishing you the fastest and easiest recovery, sending good wishes your way.