DRESS CODE

Brandy01

9 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

And there are no formal nights on expedition cruises, regardless of the destination.

Thank goodness. Taking formal dresses to Antarctica along with my long underwear and waterproof tall boots would certainly put my luggage over the weight limit. 😂 

Enjoying the discussion and suggestions of this forum. 

Laurie

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 12:10 AM, Lauranne said:

Thank goodness. Taking formal dresses to Antarctica along with my long underwear and waterproof tall boots would certainly put my luggage over the weight limit. 😂 

Enjoying the discussion and suggestions of this forum. 

Laurie

Dont overpack you really dont need too much.   Just slightly smarter clothes for the evening that you wear during the day and avoid jeans for dinner.   There are launderette facilities and also a laundry service.   You only need two sets of long underwear and maybe three sets of socks.   We came in well within maximum weight even with our boots and we were on the Explorer for three weeks om the Cape to Cape and even then there were a couple of lightweight jumpers I didnt wear.   Remember you get a parka provided so you dont need a big coat just a warmish fleece for arriving/departure at Puerto Willliams.

• Like 1

Stumblefoot, you can probably answer this.  How do I determine which nights are casual and which nights are informal?  I don't see any indication on My Silverseas.  Now, our cruise is 105 days out, so it may be too early to tell.  But I would like to know ahead of time when the jackets for the men will be expected.

Thanks!

49 minutes ago, BigNance said:

Stumblefoot, you can probably answer this.  How do I determine which nights are casual and which nights are informal?  I don't see any indication on My Silverseas.  Now, our cruise is 105 days out, so it may be too early to tell.  But I would like to know ahead of time when the jackets for the men will be expected.

Thanks!

I'm not Stumblefoot (I'm better looking!). However, you won't usually see which nights are which until within a couple of weeks of the cruise. Even then, it has happened that we did not hear specifically until on board. However, you can expect the first and last nights to be casual.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, BigNance said:

Stumblefoot, you can probably answer this.  How do I determine which nights are casual and which nights are informal?

BigNance,

On all Classic ships, the first and last nights are always casual.  But, unlike the ever handsome turtlemichael below, we’ve never known which nights will be informal until we’ve reached our suite.  So, he must be privy to some wonderful inside information since he seems to know a fortnight in advance. 

6 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

I'm not Stumblefoot (I'm better looking!). However, you won't usually see which nights are which until within a couple of weeks of the cruise.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

BigNance,

On all Classic ships, the first and last nights are always casual.  But, unlike the ever handsome turtlemichael below, we’ve never known which nights will be informal until we’ve reached our suite.  So, he must be privy to some wonderful inside information since he seems to know a fortnight in advance. 

Good looks sometimes work  lol

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Good looks sometimes work  lol

Thanks to both of you!! I'm sure that you are both VERY good looking!  Since y'all are so helpful! 

I did call Silverseas and the lady on the phone told me 'oh, you are on an expedition ship, they are all casual all the time'  hmmm.  I'm thinking I received some slightly inaccurate advice!  If DH does not bring a  jacket and is not allowed on some public areas of the ship on certain evenings, he won't be thrilled. On the flip side, if he packs a jacket and doesn't need it, I will certainly hear about it!! 😉

I will most likely have him bring a jacket.  However, since we need boots for wet landings, thermals, rain proof gear, etc., packing will be interesting!  Especially since we have a layover in Chicago (quel horreur!) and we were trying to get away with carry ons.  

ha. not likely.

Thank you again for your assistance! And more questions may be forthcoming!!

N

• Like 1

We have been on six expedition cruises. If you are on an expedition cruise, you DO NOT "need" a jacket. You CAN bring one if you want. Either way, you will not feel out of place.

I like to bring one on cold weather expeditions because (1) I have room to do so easily, (2) I like wearing it, and (3) it's nice to have if you feel like dressing up for the Captain's welcome or farewell. I even bring a tie or two, as they take zero space in my luggage. Sometimes on warm weather expeditions I bring a lighter linen jacket if I feel like it.

But it is NOT REQUIRED. It's an expedition.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BigNance said:

I did call Silverseas and the lady on the phone told me 'oh, you are on an expedition ship, they are all casual all the time'  hmmm.  I'm thinking I received some slightly inaccurate advice!

From whom? Silversea? The information she gave you was correct. 

• 2 weeks later...

Someone also wrote that Alaskan cruises have no formal night.  Can anyone confirm this?  My cruise agent called Silversea and the answer from them was that there was one formal night for a seven day cruise.

3 hours ago, amusea said:

Someone also wrote that Alaskan cruises have no formal night.  Can anyone confirm this?  My cruise agent called Silversea and the answer from them was that there was one formal night for a seven day cruise.

I sailed to Alaska last summer and unless my memory is shot.......I recall they had formal nights. Not sure who said otherwise but I confirm what SS told your TA.

6 hours ago, amusea said:

There is a minimum of one formal night on all Alaskan voyages of at least 7-days.  However, they are always optional.