Edge Transatlantic Testing positive for Covid

bananavan

On 5/1/2022 at 3:05 PM, cruisingguy007 said:

But they wear masks 100% of the time and some folks seem to suggest that masks are the answer to all the problems, even though plenty of folks have said they wore masks everywhere and the crew does too, yet covid persists, even among the ardent mask wearers. Maybe it's time to realize that trying to control the uncontrollable is a futile effort and not making a statistical difference and not worth the stress/hassle.  

They do not wear masks 100% of the time, was on Apex in March and there was a female bar tender who rarely had her mask on the couple days she was at the pool bar.   I was also on the inside tour of the ship (first ever on Apex) and saw plenty of off staff that had no mask on.   I'm guessing when off duty masks are not required.

1 hour ago, Tyler414 said:

They do not wear masks 100% of the time, was on Apex in March and there was a female bar tender who rarely had her mask on the couple days she was at the pool bar.   I was also on the inside tour of the ship (first ever on Apex) and saw plenty of off staff that had no mask on.   I'm guessing when off duty masks are not required.

Good for her! I hope the staff start to push back at the double-standard, they've been masked long enough and it would be great to see their faces/smiles (if they choose of course). I hope masks are optional for them soon too, especially going into the summer months, it would be unbearable to wear them in the heat/humidity. It's unfair for them, if it's safe for the passengers, it's safe for the crew. They are vaccinated and tested just like everyone else, tested more actually. Enough is enough with the theater/nonsense.    

• Like 8

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Good for her! I hope the staff start to push back at the double-standard, they've been masked long enough and it would be great to see their faces/smiles (if they choose of course). I hope masks are optional for them soon too, especially going into the summer months, it would be unbearable to wear them in the heat/humidity. It's unfair for them, if it's safe for the passengers, it's safe for the crew. They are vaccinated and tested just like everyone else, tested more actually. Enough is enough with the theater/nonsense.    

So what about hospital personnel that are still wearing masks? If they can do it, so can everyone else. If that's what it takes to stop the spread of this virus, I'm for it.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

So what about hospital personnel that are still wearing masks? If they can do it, so can everyone else. If that's what it takes to stop the spread of this virus, I'm for it.

In air conditioning? Gimme a break. Not the same as being outside all day, walking up/down stairs delivering drinks, standing in the sun at the water-slides all day, working in a bar outside all day, painting/cleaning etc outside all day, working any of the other plethora of activities that require crew to be outside all day, all in the hot sun and humid conditions; and a ship isn't a hospital. I don't vacation or go out to eat in hospitals and they don't do surgery or see sick people all day on ships as a business model. Not even close to comparable. You obviously don't see them as equals or you'd want them to have the same choices you do.    

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

In air conditioning? Gimme a break. Not the same as being outside all day, walking up/down stairs delivering drinks, standing in the sun at the water-slides all day, working in a bar outside all day, painting/cleaning etc outside all day, working any of the other plethora of activities that require crew to be outside all day, all in the hot sun and humid conditions; and a ship isn't a hospital. I don't vacation or go out to eat in hospitals and they don't do surgery or see sick people all day. Not even close to comparable.    

Sorry I disagree with you & think masks are still necessary. I will be wearing mine anywhere indoors except eating or drinking. Especially in elevators. And yes I have worn my mask all day - not great I agree but better than getting covid!

• Like 6

Just now, catspaw1 said:

Sorry I disagree with you & think masks are still necessary. I will be wearing mine anywhere indoors except eating or drinking. Especially in elevators. And yes I have worn my mask all day - not great I agree but better than getting covid!

We are cruising next month also 

Just now, catspaw1 said:

Awesome! Choice is a good thing. Exercising our personal choices is the way to go, everyone should decide for themselves. Ain't freedom grand!  

• Like 3

On 4/30/2022 at 10:30 PM, bananavan said:

I totally understand what you are saying. 
We have a driver who brings us to the port. 
There are many ways to become infected. 
My point is that it is extremely odd that people seem to test positive after about 6-8 days. 
We are at 40% capacity. 
We had no stops until yesterday. 
Neither my husband nor I have taken part in any activities other than attending the concerts while socially distancing. 
The where and how is tough to figure out. 

I made the decision to cancel our May 23 cruise to Bermuda, as I was concerned with what I was reading on the boards. My engineer husband stated it had to be the air filtration system. I googled it and found research was conducted following the cruise ships getting stuck at sea at the start of the pandemic: 

https://aaqr.org/articles/aaqr-20-07-covid-0495:

"Airborne transmission of COVID-19 through poorly filtered and poorly ventilated, recirculated air onboard ship could explain the higher than expected virus spread into cabins without previously confirmed cases during the quarantine period.

There is accumulating evidence of COVID-19 spreading widely in confined settings such as restaurants, hospitals, care homes, shops, gyms, public transport, offices, schools, prisons, etc. Ventilation system design, filters, and upgrades; natural ventilation (just using outside air and not recirculating it); and airflow (direction/speed) should be all considered and evaluated when deciding what intervention measure(s) is appropriate to reduce exposure and limit the transmission of COVID-19 in a confined setting. Keeping two meters distance between customers in a shop, for instance, is not an effective measure without considering the air flow inside the shop. Self-isolating residents of a care home inside the rooms is not an effective measure if the ventilation system in the care home does not have highly-efficient filters that can capture a virus as small as COVID-19, especially if the HVAC system is working on a save-energy mode and the air is kept recirculated inside the residence."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Awesome! Choice is a good thing. Exercising our personal choices is the way to go, everyone should decide for themselves. Ain't freedom grand!  

& if the workers don't want the jobs knowing they have to wear masks all day that is their choice also. I am bringing a big can of disinfectant spray to continually spray down my cabin every day after the steward is there. I read on another CC post that cruisers got it from their steward.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

& if the workers don't want the jobs knowing they have to wear masks all day that is their choice also. I am bringing a big can of disinfectant spray to continually spray down my cabin every day after the steward is there. I read on another CC post that cruisers got it from their steward.

Or they assumed they did.  How about all the unmasked passengers and eating in busy restaurants every night not to mention taking a shuttle into town.  Oddly the masked crew was to blame not the unmasked cruisers.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Oville said:

Or they assumed they did.  How about all the unmasked passengers and eating in busy restaurants every night not to mention taking a shuttle into town.  Oddly the masked crew was to blame not the unmasked cruisers.

the crew are in more dense sleeping arrangements. I would bet most take off their mask when not required. It's Lysol disinfectant spay time! Not sure that would work, but we will try it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

the crew are in more dense sleeping arrangements. I would bet most take off their mask when not required. It's Lysol disinfectant spay time! Not sure that would work, but we will try it.

Safe travels, not sure Lysol will.  All I’m trying to get across is that the crew is wearing masks and passengers are not.  It’s probably a combination of the crew and those who a not willing to admit they are not feeling well and don’t get tested and party on.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Oville said:

Safe travels, not sure Lysol will.  All I’m trying to get across is that the crew is wearing masks and passengers are not.  It’s probably a combination of the crew and those who a not willing to admit they are not feeling well and don’t get tested and party on.

There is no one to blame, covid is going to covid, folks need to quit looking for a scapegoat and quit thinking that they can control the uncontrollable. The only way to do that is to stay off cruise ships and away from crowds, period. Mask theater won't protect you, the sooner more realize this and accept reality, the quicker normal cruising returns and we can move on from the covid panic, covid counts and covid hysteria. Look at all the posts of simple stuffy noses and minor symptoms being the worst of it. There will always be a few chiming in with doom/gloom and worse case scenario but the overwhelming majority are asymptomatic or minor symptoms. It's 2022, not early 2020, time to move on to pragmatism and let the fear mongering go.    

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

There is no one to blame, covid is going to covid, folks need to quit looking for a scapegoat and quit thinking that they can control the uncontrollable. The only way to do that is to stay off cruise ships and away from crowds, period. Mask theater won't protect you, the sooner more realize this and accept reality, the quicker normal cruising returns and we can move on from the covid panic, covid counts and covid hysteria. Look at all the posts of simple stuffy noses and minor symptoms being the worst of it. There will always be a few chiming in with doom/gloom and worse case scenario but the overwhelming majority are asymptomatic or minor symptoms. It's 2022, not early 2020, time to move on to pragmatism and let the fear mongering go.    

So sorry I even commented.and ended up with this response.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, redbchtrvlr said:

I made the decision to cancel our May 23 cruise to Bermuda, as I was concerned with what I was reading on the boards. My engineer husband stated it had to be the air filtration system. I googled it and found research was conducted following the cruise ships getting stuck at sea at the start of the pandemic: 

https://aaqr.org/articles/aaqr-20-07-covid-0495:

"Airborne transmission of COVID-19 through poorly filtered and poorly ventilated, recirculated air onboard ship could explain the higher than expected virus spread into cabins without previously confirmed cases during the quarantine period.

There is accumulating evidence of COVID-19 spreading widely in confined settings such as restaurants, hospitals, care homes, shops, gyms, public transport, offices, schools, prisons, etc. Ventilation system design, filters, and upgrades; natural ventilation (just using outside air and not recirculating it); and airflow (direction/speed) should be all considered and evaluated when deciding what intervention measure(s) is appropriate to reduce exposure and limit the transmission of COVID-19 in a confined setting. Keeping two meters distance between customers in a shop, for instance, is not an effective measure without considering the air flow inside the shop. Self-isolating residents of a care home inside the rooms is not an effective measure if the ventilation system in the care home does not have highly-efficient filters that can capture a virus as small as COVID-19, especially if the HVAC system is working on a save-energy mode and the air is kept recirculated inside the residence."

Old news. All changed, on Celebrity, now no  recirculation of air, hospital grade filters, air replaced in cabins 12 times an hour and 15 times in public spaces.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:44 PM, bananavan said:

I think that there is a need for a reevaluation of the entire cruise response. 
All of us have been on other cruises where people have become ill. 
The intelligent and empathetic passengers self identify. 

So you would have the cruise lines jump on people who cough or sneeze and you would encourage what? Passenger to snitch on each other as well to the reception? Perhaps we can offer rewards for sntiching on fellow passengers and destroying their cruise and costing them all their money because they are not going to refund people forever you know.

4 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Do you really expect them to sleep with their masks on? I think that would be asking too much.

7 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

… and a ship isn't a hospital. I don't vacation or go out to eat in hospitals and they don't do surgery or see sick people all day on ships as a business model. 

Well it’s not a hospital…until you test positive and self report or are contact traced and test positive.  Then you are a “patient”. Your cruise “experience” changes at that very moment.  We know…Celebrity Silhouette 4/21/22 sailing.   Read all about it.  
I do believe in choice and wearing or not wearing is your right, and respect it. What I don’t agree with (IMHO) is that if you are sick that you consciously avoid testing…I’ll use a phrase…”common good”…or “care for others”. I also agree the present business model is not sustainable.  Much of what is in place and followed by the industry was to comply with CDC requirements built over a year ago,  and I see little change.  Either the negative social media and/or the cancellations will drive this if the senior leadership isn’t proactive.  There were more than a few heads in the sand on this cruise and stressed out crew trying to do the right thing.   Cruise or not, but suggest you read up on all requirements to get out of wherever you end up if positive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 360Guy said:

Well it’s not a hospital…until you test positive and self report or are contact traced and test positive.  Then you are a “patient”. Your cruise “experience” changes at that very moment.  We know…Celebrity Silhouette 4/21/22 sailing.   Read all about it.  
I do believe in choice and wearing or not wearing is your right, and respect it. What I don’t agree with (IMHO) is that if you are sick that you consciously avoid testing…I’ll use a phrase…”common good”…or “care for others”. I also agree the present business model is not sustainable.  Much of what is in place and followed by the industry was to comply with CDC requirements built over a year ago,  and I see little change.  Either the negative social media and/or the cancellations will drive this if the senior leadership isn’t proactive.  There were more than a few heads in the sand on this cruise and stressed out crew trying to do the right thing.   Cruise or not, but suggest you read up on all requirements to get out of wherever you end up if positive.

Of course it is not sustainable. If this present model is kept up cruising will be the ONLY form of recreation to my knowledge where mask wearing is required apart from maybe underwater diving.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Do you really expect them to sleep with their masks on? I think that would be asking too much.

My mom was in the hospital during January in NY & did exactly that! She did not get covid then.

@bananavan I'm so frustrated that this thread has moved away from supportive information for you and your situation and I sincerely hope this hasn't discouraged you from posting. The last that I heard was a post from you on Jim_Iian's thread indicating that you are trying to obtain a longer rental in Civitavecchia. 

How are you doing with that? How is your husband feeling? Did you test negative on your last/final day of the 5-day mandatory testing period?

I have traveled to Rome a number of times and know one terrific tour guide. I couldn't promise that he would be able to assist with information on Civitavecchia but I'm pretty sure that he would have contacts who could as he seems to know everyone in that part of Italy. I don't think I'm the only one who has some information about the region that would be of help to you, if needed. Just please let us know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 4/30/2022 at 4:19 PM, bananavan said:

Fort Lauderdale. 
I am beginning to wonder about the workers at the Port. 
If you read enough Edge boards, there seems to be a trend that people test positive on day 7 or 8, usually after they depart the ship. 

Not just "Edge Boards."  Sky Princess March trans-Atlantic has similar positive testing.  Two days out from Southampton about 500 people were tested for their flights back to the US.  About 20 percent tested positive.  And, that is starting from theoretical zero with everyone vaxed and tested.  Suggest posting in the Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades thread.

29 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Not just "Edge Boards."  Sky Princess March trans-Atlantic has similar positive testing.  Two days out from Southampton about 500 people were tested for their flights back to the US.  About 20 percent tested positive.  And, that is starting from theoretical zero with everyone vaxed and tested.  Suggest posting in the Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades thread.

20%. …is that really true?  How did you find this statistic?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

20%. …is that really true?  How did you find this statistic?

On board.  94 positives!  Out of maybe 500 tested.  Everyone was ordered to mask all the time following the high percentage.  Ship also denied entry into Morocco for positive COVID.  Morocco is Level 1 - negligible COVID.  There is a lot the cruise lines are not reporting.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 4