Edge Transatlantic Testing positive for Covid

bananavan

14 minutes ago, bananavan said:

He tested negative today in his cabin. 
I immediately told the people in charge but they have stated that he cannot test again until May 12. ??????
What happened to the CDC 10 day isolation? 

And then I just returned to the suite to discover that the in room phone does not work/. 
It is after 11 pm. I informed Customer service. 
They are working on it. 
The ONE phone in the entire ship(0ther than the Captain's)  that really should work, and it does not. 
ARGHHHHHHHHHH

Other than having quite the arduous story to tell, along with the hits and misses, I hope both of you will be getting better news ASAP.  Reading this conjures up all sorts of images, but nothing like living through it.  Sending only kindness and health to both of you!

37 minutes ago, bananavan said:

He tested negative today in his cabin. 
I immediately told the people in charge but they have stated that he cannot test again until May 12. ??????
What happened to the CDC 10 day isolation? 

And then I just returned to the suite to discover that the in room phone does not work/. 
It is after 11 pm. I informed Customer service. 
They are working on it. 
The ONE phone in the entire ship(0ther than the Captain's)  that really should work, and it does not. 
ARGHHHHHHHHHH

I don’t understand it either.  DH has completed 10 days of isolation and has tested negative.  The letter we received says 10 days. DH should be able to join you, wear a mask out of the room and have in room dining.  

B7FDD6A1-7F74-4EDA-A73D-300FBF3B9BB0.jpeg

9A72778A-82B2-4732-9926-0450CA0FBFBA.jpeg

29 minutes ago, 360Guy said:

I don’t understand it either.  DH has completed 10 days of isolation and has tested negative.  The letter we received says 10 days. DH should be able to join you, wear a mask out of the room and have in room dining.  

B7FDD6A1-7F74-4EDA-A73D-300FBF3B9BB0.jpeg

9A72778A-82B2-4732-9926-0450CA0FBFBA.jpeg

Sorry the pictures are upside down.   Don’t know why.  And also as I thought about it further, why can’t DH end isolation completely.  This is confusing.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Just a suggestion: tell the Retreat Manager that you would like to meet with the Hotel Director in the morning. I'd tell the Hotel Director that your husband is now negative, has had a miserable time in Isolation,  he's an older man under terrible pressure being alone and you want him released to your suite now. There's no medical reason to keep him isolated and away from you at this point.  Agree the he stay in your suite until the next scheduled test if necessary.   My best wishes to you both. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 8:02 AM, hcat said:

Thread shows how the options change and that each situation may require a diff strategy.

I think Jim and Lain  did much  better getting off the ship, and having  land based adventures..once lain tested okay. But they are experienced in making res, and last min travel plans ..and lucky enough to be able to pay for it all!  My husb and I would have been lost faced with all  of this...we've had many cruises and travels  in the past,...,but " pivot" is not something we excel at.  Probably why we  chose cruising  many yrs ago....

Others are probably much better off on the ship..esp with the Italy rules. Once OP and husb are off at the  final port,  and cleared I  hope they get the first flight home and end the painful experience pronto.

The 1st cruise we will try since the pause, is in Nov and only for 5 days,  rt port Ev...Our car will be in the port parking garage.  Hoping we stay healthy on BEYOND but if we get sick we  hope we can get outta there and head to our Fl home base.

Cruising used to be much easier,,times have changed! I applaud those who have taken the earlier cruises and shared experiences with us all,

I was also on the Edge. We had a wonderful time. I am so sorry for Evana and her husband. Here is what we did in this new confusing world. We took home tests with us and tested throughout cruise. If we had tested positive we would have self isolated unless we felt very ill. I believe with this variant, those vaccinated should worst case scenario get a bad cold, unless you’re immuno compromised and then cruising may not be best option at current moment. HOME TESTS, lots of them are essential. . Write to your home rep, senators and president that US needs to immediately remove requirement that vaccinated US nationals must test negative before flying back to their homes in their  country (it’s insane when most of Europe, UK and Canada do not require the pre-test). In the meantime consider Air Canada or Aeromexico for flights home. Fly these airlines and DRIVE/CAR SERVICE  into US where no pretest is required (no test via land or ferry). Then take any flight domestically in US and not be subject to testing, masking or vaccination requirements  (to be clear, I believe vaxx and masking is safest on public trans). This international rule makes no sense anymore and only creates chaos and inability for us to move forward with our lives of uncertainty.  Home test if you feel ill or anxious. These variants will keep popping up. It’s not a death sentence in most scenarios if you have taken proper procedures. BUT BE PREPARED YOU MAY TEST POSITIVE even with fully vaccinated crew/pax and all negative to start. Enjoy your cruise normally, but try to keep in mind distance and spending time in outdoor spaces is best. 

• Like 6

On 5/1/2022 at 7:26 PM, helen haywood said:

The crew does not wear masks 100% of the time.  I have seen many bartenders with their mask lowered until a passenger comes up to the bar.  I have seen many waiters pulling their mask down when someone has asked them to repeat themselves several times.  I’ve seen plenty of passengers asking staff to lower their mask for a picture.  To say nothing of what they do off duty.  I certainly hope no one expects them to be off duty, eating, sleeping, etc with a mask on!

Working in those Kn95 masks must be hell. I feel for them. I saw them doing an amazing job at it. I miss seeing their faces, but it’s still best atm 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 360Guy said:

Sorry the pictures are upside down.   Don’t know why.  And also as I thought about it further, why can’t DH end isolation completely.  This is confusing.

Upside down and sideway posts are a glitch between smart phones and many forums.   It can be corrected by choosing edit  and then on the icon for alignment and crop rotate the image 4 times and then it corrects the error in the meta data. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Upside down and sideway posts are a glitch between smart phones and many forums.   It can be corrected by choosing edit  and then on the icon for alignment and crop rotate the image 4 times and then it corrects the error in the meta data. 

Thanks.. I can edit the post?  I use an iPad and have tried opening the pictures but don’t see alignment or crop option..

We were on board this transatlantic sailing. So thrilled to hear the negative test result xxx

There are some misunderstandings on the boards I think....Staff wearing masks is to protect them from us not the other way round. The vast majority of passengers never wore face coverings.

Crew were allowed off independently in Europe so not in a crew bubble anymore.

Some passengers were loud and negative in their opinions of others wearing masks. Numbers of passengers were sneezing and coughing into their hands and then eating, touching soft furnishings etc. (not acceptable even pre covid). Certainly in the suite restaurant and lounge there were people coughing and sneezing into their hands. I didnt spot anyone else using the retreat handwashing facility before eating or helping themselves to drinks.

However reading these accounts you would be just crazy to report to the medical centre wouldnt you? Celebrity need to clearly set out for all ships a minimum standard or on board response to a positive test. I was considering a move up bid on the basis that we would be comfortable if either of us tested positive but reading these accounts dont bother it is money thrown away!

The suite class was packed I was told because even up to the night before the cruise passengers in Aqua were being offered suite upgrades at bargain prices. Suite passengers were clearly a cash cow with no reduction in capacity in the retreat areas.

The food and Beverage manage....I think Kemel, was excellent and assisted me with an issue we had. The concierges in the retreat lounge were useless and questioned a pre agreed special needs requirement. My condition was questioned and I was clearly not believed. It was only when I had a meltdown panic attack in Luminae and went to guest relations to tell them I was planning to get off that things started to be resolved. The staff and Maitre'd in Luminae were excellent.

There are clearly lessons to be learned about covid respose, being clear and upfront with passengers so we know what will happen, also some training in mental health impact, stress related illness and an acceptance that disability doesnt come attached to a wheelchair.

We do need to learn to live with covid but the cruiseline could help us understand what that might mean....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

15 hours ago, donna1009 said:

I was also on the Edge. We had a wonderful time. I am so sorry for Evana and her husband. Here is what we did in this new confusing world. We took home tests with us and tested throughout cruise. If we had tested positive we would have self isolated unless we felt very ill. I believe with this variant, those vaccinated should worst case scenario get a bad cold, unless you’re immuno compromised and then cruising may not be best option at current moment. HOME TESTS, lots of them are essential. . Write to your home rep, senators and president that US needs to immediately remove requirement that vaccinated US nationals must test negative before flying back to their homes in their  country (it’s insane when most of Europe, UK and Canada do not require the pre-test). In the meantime consider Air Canada or Aeromexico for flights home. Fly these airlines and DRIVE/CAR SERVICE  into US where no pretest is required (no test via land or ferry). Then take any flight domestically in US and not be subject to testing, masking or vaccination requirements  (to be clear, I believe vaxx and masking is safest on public trans). This international rule makes no sense anymore and only creates chaos and inability for us to move forward with our lives of uncertainty.  Home test if you feel ill or anxious. These variants will keep popping up. It’s not a death sentence in most scenarios if you have taken proper procedures. BUT BE PREPARED YOU MAY TEST POSITIVE even with fully vaccinated crew/pax and all negative to start. Enjoy your cruise normally, but try to keep in mind distance and spending time in outdoor spaces is best. 

100000% agree with this comment!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I am SO glad things have turned around for you guys!! 🙌

And they have done another turn. 
I had a froggy throat today. 
Alan and I decided that I should test. 
I did. 
And I tested positive.  I called the medical department. 
I tested positive on pcr. 
I have joined my husband. 
Thankfully I had arranged this morning to get him into a cabin with the ability to have fresh air. 

The rules are supposedly Italy's rules. 

We decided to go this route because we are not going to be able to beat the system. 

Flying back to the USA requires the negative test or the certificate of recovery. 
I am beyond saddened. 
I think that my exposure occurred either when I went to the Hospital in Palma de Mallorca and then was taxied back to the ship, (Seriously, you do not want to know about the chaos of that day!!) or from passengers who decided to act like they were fine. 
Anyone who decides to sail from Civitavecchia this year needs to be aware of their options and plan accordingly. 
I will post more tomorrow, but for now I am simply exhausted. 
Oh, and we are next door neighbors to the Bickersons. 🙂

Edited by bananavan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Here are 2 reports from the TA Edge cruise Roll Call:

“We were told on Celebrity to get our covid test at the Rome airport.  What a mistake, there was some sort of strike at the airport, the line to get your covid test was long and while we were waiting for our results a number of Celebrity cruisers were testing positive for Covid.  They look like they were going to cry what a way to end a cruise.  I felt so sorry for them. “

One more from that cruise;
“This was a great trip on a very nice ship.  Food and staff were wonderful.  We loved the entertainment.  Everything was fine until we got to the airport to fly back to USA.  My wife has been in Covid "jail" since May 6 at a hotel the airport sent her to.  I was negative and came home.  Not a good situation.  She will be there until at least May12.  We are both double boosted.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So very sorry to hear you have tested positive….hopefully your symptoms are very mild and being together with your DH is comforting after such a long time.   Sending encouragement and hugs!

1 hour ago, bananavan said:

And they have done another turn. 
I had a froggy throat today. 
Alan and I decided that I should test. 
I did. 
And I tested positive.  I called the medical department. 
I tested positive on pcr. 
I have joined my husband. 
Thankfully I had arranged this morning to get him into a cabin with the ability to have fresh air. 

The rules are supposedly Italy's rules. 

We decided to go this route because we are not going to be able to beat the system. 

Flying back to the USA requires the negative test or the certificate of recovery. 
I am beyond saddened. 
I think that my exposure occurred either when I went to the Hospital in Palma de Mallorca and then was taxied back to the ship, (Seriously, you do not want to know about the chaos of that day!!) or from passengers who decided to act like they were fine. 
Anyone who decides to sail from Civitavecchia this year needs to be aware of their options and plan accordingly. 
I will post more tomorrow, but for now I am simply exhausted. 
Oh, and we are next door neighbors to the Bickersons. 🙂

Oh no…sending healing thoughts…what an ordeal this has been

thanks for sharing your story…it has me really rethinking about my cruise on the Edge this September to Greece out of Rome.

20 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Here are 2 reports from the TA Edge cruise Roll Call:

“We were told on Celebrity to get our covid test at the Rome airport.  What a mistake, there was some sort of strike at the airport, the line to get your covid test was long and while we were waiting for our results a number of Celebrity cruisers were testing positive for Covid.  They look like they were going to cry what a way to end a cruise.  I felt so sorry for them. “

One more from that cruise;
“This was a great trip on a very nice ship.  Food and staff were wonderful.  We loved the entertainment.  Everything was fine until we got to the airport to fly back to USA.  My wife has been in Covid "jail" since May 6 at a hotel the airport sent her to.  I was negative and came home.  Not a good situation.  She will be there until at least May12.  We are both double boosted.”

Oh my goodness…these reports are really making me second guess sailing out of Rome in September…obviously things can and probably will change by then…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Susanb10567 said:

Oh my goodness…these reports are really making me second guess sailing out of Rome in September…obviously things can and probably will change by then…

I understand how you feel; we have a b2b/TA in October on Apex, so are reading as much a possible to be able to plan for the worst, as that is all any of us can do if we want to cruise.  I am just thankful the people have shared what has happened to them as a result of Covid with testing etc.  We will test in Italy and if positive, miss the first 12 day cruise.  Then, hopefully be allowed to continue with the TA with the noted information.  If we make it onboard the first cruise, we will follow our protocols with testing ourselves, hoping the b2b rule that Royal has is also on Celebrity.  Our hotel in Rome has a place for us to test, but we will also have our own.  Returning to FLL in November will hopefully be okay by then, but who knows for sure.  For now, that's our plan.  I will have insurace that covers any Covid land stay for trip interruption insurance.  My Allianz policy does allow for Covid and pays for it.  I have been in school for over two years with and without a mask, not to mention our gym and everywhere else.  We have had our shots and been boosted.  Furthermore, we have our concierge doctor's cell number.  The rest will be out of our hands.  I just keep thinking about all those onboard who did just fine.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, donna1009 said:

the meantime consider Air Canada or Aeromexico for flights home. Fly these airlines and DRIVE/CAR SERVICE  into US where no pretest is required (no test via land or ferry)

If we test positive we are considering this since we live right over the border. That being said, flights by celebrity would have to know our current status as would our trip insurance. I would assume somewhere along the way into Mexico somebody would ask us if we’ve had Covid in the last 14 days or some thing and then I couldn’t lie. The whole thing stresses me out

M

• Like 1

Evana so sorry to hear your news. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. 

Research I have done indicates you can incubate covid for up to 12 days before symptoms show and you can start being infectious with omicron 2 to 3 days before symptoms show. Omicron is said to become non infectious after around 5 days but much longer in older folks.

So all this is no-one's fault. No point trying to find out where it came from etc. 

I am going to write to the cruise line asking them to produce a minimum standard going forward to apply to ALL ships as we have a right to know what to expect. Things I am thinking of suggesting are:

a choice to stay isolated in your own room with all necessary precautions. A choice for your spouse / partner to stay isolated with you even if negative. A specified person to contact morning and evening by phone at fixed times along with an emergency phone number. An agreed and pre timed meal service 3 times a day with pre order the evening before. Internet access to keep in touch with family friends and medical support at home and to access music movies and reading material on line.

Yes we all have to live with covid. It is all around us but people are wary of reporting it because of unknown and sometimes awful consequences. Celebrity should take a lead here and set a high standard. If we had Flu or Norovirus we wouldnt be treated like Evana has. A new approach is needed to stop travel confidence falling again!

I'd be interested in your thoughts and any additions before I put fingers to keyboard!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, mimbecky said:

If we test positive we are considering this since we live right over the border. That being said, flights by celebrity would have to know our current status as would our trip insurance. I would assume somewhere along the way into Mexico somebody would ask us if we’ve had Covid in the last 14 days or some thing and then I couldn’t lie. The whole thing stresses me out

M

Home  tests like the lateral flow are easy and accurate. It is indeed very stressful

On 5/8/2022 at 4:27 PM, mimbecky said:

I am wondering if this is still true. I can’t find anything current about quarantine hotels in Italy at this time.  With reading your experience, I think if we find ourselves in your position, we would get off the ship regardless at cruise end. So sorry you have been basically very mishandled at the least.

I don’t think this is true anymore. I believe you can choose your own hotel accommodations in Italy, but I believe you are then on their radar if took an “on the record test” snd must follow current official procedures of testing before you can go home. Someone said we need to treat this more like an endemic without all the hysteria. Exactly 100%. This virus has spread enough that we can all now be responsible for ourselves as it’s far less dangerous than originally.. This is why so many no longer report and figure it out on their own. It’s too chaotic and damaging to let the “system” determine when you can go home or back to your life. US needs to get with the program and immediately cease pre-testing to fly home. No more testing unless someone has serious symptoms and seeks it. Leave the contact tracing alone too. 

• Like 6