Have you sailed to Greece & Italy? I really need your help!

17 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I know nothing about Ephesus and don't really want to see ruins.  Would this be a good place to fart around on a scooter?  or would santorini?

Mykonos over Santorini for beaches?  Cool!  Any beach resorts? names?  I should know. 

Several years ago we did a cruise with much the same itinerary that we called "The Ruins Tour." we ended up going to ruins at every stop.

In our opinion the ruins at Ephesus were the most astonishing. They are carefully reconstructing the old buildings and it is beautiful.

Pompei was at the end of our cruise and, quite frankly, we were disappointed. All the ruins are gray due to the volcanic ash. It was  very crowded. Didn't see very much that was different other than the plaster casts of the bodies that were found.

• Like 1

I've just set up a private tour to Ephesus, from Kusadasi, with Ephesus Shuttle. As the tour is in the future, I can't evaluate it, but the company has been very responsive and easy to work with.

I wanted a private tour because (a) I especially wanted to see the Terrace Houses, cliffside homes of late-Roman aristocracy, which no tour offered by the cruise line (not RCI) included; (b) I was willing to skip the House of Mary; and (c) we didn't want to waste any time at a carpet or jewelry shop. At Kusadasi, a private tour may cost more than those offered by the cruise line, but you're in a small group and the tour can be customized for you.

We're on a Brilliance cruise this summer doing Mykonos and Santorini (a bunch of others as well but not your same ports.)

We are using Kostas in Santorini this summer and we used him in 2016 as well. https://santorini-private-guide.com/  Great tour with our then nine year old daughter as well. As others have said, there is a wait for the cable car but it goes pretty decently and I never saw people get left behind!

In Mykonos this summer we are chartering a sail boat with lunch, swimming, and visiting Delos with https://www.greecesailing.gr/  I can let you know when we get back how it is!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Just to slightly sidetrack, is there somewhere in/near the port where we could change up some euros for Turkish lira, in case we want to do some shopping?

11 hours ago, kernow said:

Not sure but from memory everywhere we went accepted Euros (and probably dollars). They all speak good English too.

In the "shuk" [bazaar] near the terminal, I bargained [hard] in Euros. The prices weren't even mentioned in Turkish lira.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

In the "shuk" [bazaar] near the terminal, I bargained [hard] in Euros. The prices weren't even mentioned in Turkish lira.

They will accept most currencies, but will definitely take US Dollar, British Pound and Euro. Just don't pay full price for anything, barter. 

• Thanks 1

Currently docked in Naples onboard the Odyssey of the Seas...just waiting for sail-away.

Thank you to everyone!

We had an absolutely beautiful day in Capri. Walked off the ship around 8:30am...walked a couple of minutes to the ferry terminal next door (literally) and got our roundtrip tickets, for the 9:30 am departure, 46Euros/person roundtrip. (All the earlier departures were sold out)

* Truly breathtaking views...we will remember not only the scenery, but the redolent smell of every restaurant we walked by...amazing!

We took the 1:40 pm ferry back and had time to walk around Naples.

Thanks again.

• Like 4

On 5/4/2022 at 3:20 PM, sharktums said:

We're on a Brilliance cruise this summer doing Mykonos and Santorini (a bunch of others as well but not your same ports.)

We are using Kostas in Santorini this summer and we used him in 2016 as well. https://santorini-private-guide.com/  Great tour with our then nine year old daughter as well. As others have said, there is a wait for the cable car but it goes pretty decently and I never saw people get left behind!

In Mykonos this summer we are chartering a sail boat with lunch, swimming, and visiting Delos with https://www.greecesailing.gr/  I can let you know when we get back how it is!

sounds great!  when are you going?  We're going this summer too so I think we need to book now.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:27 PM, RCCL Fan said:

Pompeii is definitely on the list or the Amalfi coast.  no ship tours left so i'm hoping to find someone to take us to one (figure both is too much)   Anything else there I should consider?

You can take the specially designated Big Bus sightseeing bus to Pompeii. Check out the internet site. You meet at the port. Buy tickets for Pompeii at the gate. Easy peasy. 

On 5/3/2022 at 9:25 PM, RCCL Fan said:

Oh that makes me a bit nervous if it take a few hours wait to get down.  Sounds like a tour might be in order! lol 

Walking down the steps is actually pretty easy if you have no mobility issues.  We're in our 60s and not particularly fit but have done it twice. The steps are shallow and easy to walk.  

You have to dodge the donkeys but its very doable

In Mykonos we booked tickets on the dock for the ferry to Delos . When we got back we still had plenty of time to wonder around the town, see the windmills and have lunch 

In Naples we also walked the short walk from the ship to the ferry to visit Capri where we had a wonderful day out 

Edited by sgmn

On 5/3/2022 at 1:02 PM, RCCL Fan said:

We're sailing to Naples, Ephesus, Mykonos and Santorini on Odyssey of the Seas

I know zip about any of these places but am looking for private tours.

Thanks for this thread RCCL Fan (and thanks to all the contributors)

We are on the WC leg that goes to all these places and I've had no idea where to even start as we've not been to this region at all.

I'm just starting my research for when excursions are released and I have cut and posted most of this thread which has such useful info and tips.

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!

On 5/16/2022 at 4:11 PM, BecAus said:

Thanks for this thread RCCL Fan (and thanks to all the contributors)

We are on the WC leg that goes to all these places and I've had no idea where to even start as we've not been to this region at all.

I'm just starting my research for when excursions are released and I have cut and posted most of this thread which has such useful info and tips.

Hope you have a great time on your cruise!

We were in the same boat.

I think we finally figured it out and have a good plan!

• Like 1