What happens in quarantine?

natasac1

8 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I hope this thread doesn't scare people into not reporting Covid when on board a cruise ship.

We  have made the decision to cruise and have four booked future cruises. (and already have been on four cruises since cruising began again)However, none of our cruises will start and end anywhere except in the U.S.If we have to isolate, will do it. Being within driving of a port makes us feel more secure. If we have to go to a hotel because too sick to drive, that is fine with us.

The article that was posted by the lady isolated in Vancouver shows how expensive  and difficult isolation after a cruise can be. Some postings mention that passengers were driven to Seattle instead. I think for U.S. citizens that would have been preferred. Less hassle after 5 days of isolation.

The responsible thing is to report when you are ill. Protect your fellow human beings, please.

You are absolutely correct, however, don't count on it.  Near the end of the cruise to Hawaii, there were dozens of people sneezing and coughing on the ruby with many people discussing how they shouldn't report it if they don't want to get locked up.  It's unfortunate but many people don't do the right thing.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Totally agree. Here’s the thing…information was promised in writing about drill, safety, etc., but it simply never materialized. The letters that both quarantinees and close contacts received were definitely composed in Santa Clarita. I think they simply figured that unknown specifics would be added on the ships. But on the Ruby Princess, they never were.

I have photos of all the correspondence we received on the Ruby in my blog post at http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2022/05/what-really-happened-to-us-on-ruby.html. At least my husband (as the quarantined party) did get a standard letter from the HGM (the only way we knew we could order something from besides the standard room service menu, which would have gotten old after one day). He was also promised a Guest Services teammate who would be in touch once or twice a day  “for anything and everything”.  That never once happened. If a phone was disabled and couldn’t call Guest Services (as someone reported theirs was), you’d really be out of luck. 

great blog,  Exactly as we experienced it.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

I hope this thread doesn't scare people into not reporting Covid when on board a cruise ship.

The responsible thing is to report when you are ill. Protect your fellow human beings, please.

I so agree.  But, if people are reluctant to report, Princess bears some of the blame. It’s not the fault of the guests reporting about their quarantines, it’s because their quarantines were so poorly handled to begin with. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2022 at 1:44 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

No, there are at least two of us. I finally updated my blog and doing that managed to irritate me all over again (maybe that’s why I had been putting that off).

Most people say that we can’t blame Princess for people catching COVID, but, in our case, we kind of can, to some extent. They dropped the protective COVID protocols we were counting on when we booked and that’s when the problems really started. The inadequate quarantine support just added insult to injury.  

Can you please post a link to your blog?  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, san diego sue said:

We  have made the decision to cruise and have four booked future cruises. (and already have been on four cruises since cruising began again)However, none of our cruises will start and end anywhere except in the U.S.If we have to isolate, will do it. Being within driving of a port makes us feel more secure. If we have to go to a hotel because too sick to drive, that is fine with us.

The article that was posted by the lady isolated in Vancouver shows how expensive  and difficult isolation after a cruise can be. Some postings mention that passengers were driven to Seattle instead. I think for U.S. citizens that would have been preferred. Less hassle after 5 days of isolation.

"Scare" is not the word.   More like acting in your own best interest.  If you think you might have covid, you can trust yourself to act responsibly more than you can trust Princess.  So if you have room in your luggage, maybe pack a home self-test.  I'm sure only comments advocating that you see the ship's health center if you are feeling symptoms will be allowed, but you will not be hearing any such comment from me.

• Like 2

I answered my own question. I"m not sure I'll spend more than 15 minutes with anyone other than my spouse beyond a shore excursion

--------------------

Close Contact through proximity and duration of exposure: Someone who was less than 6 feet away from an infected person (laboratory-confirmed or a clinical diagnosis) for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period (for example, three individual 5-minute exposures for a total of 15 minutes). An infected person can spread SARS-CoV-2 starting 2 days before they have any symptoms (or, for asymptomatic people, 2 days before the positive specimen collection date).

3 minutes ago, Riley_Mon said:

I answered my own question. I"m not sure I'll spend more than 15 minutes with anyone other than my spouse beyond a shore excursion

--------------------

Close Contact through proximity and duration of exposure: Someone who was less than 6 feet away from an infected person (laboratory-confirmed or a clinical diagnosis) for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period (for example, three individual 5-minute exposures for a total of 15 minutes). An infected person can spread SARS-CoV-2 starting 2 days before they have any symptoms (or, for asymptomatic people, 2 days before the positive specimen collection date).

In theory that is correct, but at some time you are going to have to eat and then the mask comes off for 1-2 hours (sometimes 3x per day).   This is where I believe (and theater/game shows) is where everyone is running into problems.......My opinion only.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

In theory that is correct, but at some time you are going to have to eat and then the mask comes off for 1-2 hours (sometimes 3x per day).   This is where I believe (and theater/game shows) is where everyone is running into problems.......My opinion only.

yea I agree - I guess I'd want to know more about how they plan on tracking people in those situations.

I sit across from someone that tests positive, they have that tracked?

2 minutes ago, Riley_Mon said:

yea I agree - I guess I'd want to know more about how they plan on tracking people in those situations.

I sit across from someone that tests positive, they have that tracked?

Sounds like ships have given up on tracking close contacts.- from reading posts from those testing positive.

if you choose to cruise you take the risk.

there’s an excellent article posted by the Points guy on here.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dog said:

Sounds like ships have given up on tracking close contacts.- from reading posts from those testing positive.

if you choose to cruise you take the risk.

there’s an excellent article posted by the Points guy on here.

ok good, that was going to make me paranoid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riley_Mon said:

ok good, that was going to make me paranoid. 

Oh no.

I recently returned from a cruise on Discovery Princess. Just went with the understanding what I could be in for.
The points guy handled everything really well, , but most people are not prepared for something happening like she was.  
if one chooses to cruise now they need to understand the risks. Take precautions and be flexible for the unexpected. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dog said:

Oh no.

I recently returned from a cruise on Discovery Princess. Just went with the understanding what I could be in for.
The points guy handled everything really well, , but most people are not prepared for something happening like she was.  
if one chooses to cruise now they need to understand the risks. Take precautions and be flexible for the unexpected. 

I'm will be on the Crown in 2 weeks

At this point I'm so flexible I could be a contortionist

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Riley_Mon said:

I'm will be on the Crown in 2 weeks

At this point I'm so flexible I could be a contortionist

Enjoy your cruise. I was on the Crown when she was new.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:26 PM, san diego sue said:

You are locked in the corridor.There are those big doors that are locking you in that open to the elevators and stairs. You have no access out. Don't know if there are people in the hall watching to see if you try to leave.Friend of mine said when she was taken to isolation cabins, she was brought through crew only access areas , not public hallways or elevators.

You are actually locked in? What if there was an emergency? Are you able to exit in an emergency or do you have to wait for someone to come in let you out?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

But...at least it's in "your" cabin. I feel so sad for those who paid for a suite and got shuffled into a balcony.

It is well known before anyone books a cruise that they will be moved to a different cabin. I have read some have been able to stay in their cabin, such as saying they needed a bathtub. 
Why you feel sad for them? Everyone takes the same risk and should fully understand what they could be getting into. 

I posted this on the Ruby thread, but I will ask here too.  Has anyone insisted they stay in their cabin instead of being moved?  I would be upset if I paid for an expensive suite and had to be down graded.  Just a question…..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrgoodbar said:

I posted this on the Ruby thread, but I will ask here too.  Has anyone insisted they stay in their cabin instead of being moved?  I would be upset if I paid for an expensive suite and had to be down graded.  Just a question…..

I have read posts where they have let a person on a scooter, someone needing spouses assistance  stay in their own cabin.

not many, but it has happened.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:04 PM, cruzin4us said:

I don't think Princess ever wanted any protocols but they had to in order to comply with the CDC's recommendations.   They use the CDC's guidelines only so they are in compliance.   They can always fall back on the CDC stating that's what they recommended. 

And I suspect that most people with booked Princess cruises do not know that Princess now only says 90% of passengers will need to be vaccinated, not the former 95%.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 6:26 PM, san diego sue said:

You are locked in the corridor.There are those big doors that are locking you in that open to the elevators and stairs.

Are you sure they are locked, not merely closed? Can't the handle be turned to open the door?

It seems to me having these locked is a major violation of safety at sea regulations.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, caribill said:

Are you sure they are locked, not merely closed? Can't the handle be turned to open the door?

It seems to me having these locked is a major violation of safety at sea regulations.

On Enchanted we can open the door but haven't tried to escape..There are other doors that seal off the corridor from communal areas like the lifts. I don't think these are locked.

• Thanks 1