Coffee question

JerseyShore

Your basic cup of coffee is good, not sure about brewed or syrup. If you are unsure about it there is always baristas, as good or better than most coffee bars on land. The drinks are included in your fare! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The standard coffee in the dining venues on Oceania is not good.  I was on the Marina in February 2022 and it was horrible.  However, the coffee is Baristas is fantastic!  The Baristas cappuccino is also wonderful.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Twiga said:

The standard coffee in the dining venues on Oceania is not good.  I was on the Marina in February 2022 and it was horrible.  However, the coffee is Baristas is fantastic!  The Baristas cappuccino is also wonderful.  

Agree absolutely! IME Riviera’s GDR coffee’s no good, but they’ll bring you a cappuccino if requested. Baristas is FAB!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JerseyShore said:

Is the coffee onboard brewed or made from syrup?   On Princess the coffee is terrible unless purchased at the International Cafe.  Just wondering.  Thanks 

NO  syrup or at least it was not pre covid

Whilst the standard coffee in the terrace cafe is not great, it is miles better than the included coffee that Princess provide at their buffet. A latte from the machines in Terrace Cafe is quite drinkable, and I don’t mind the standard coffee in the GDR either. However, I was on Majestic Princess last week - the included coffee really was unbelievably bad.

Edited by Beagle5
  • Like 1

Stuff from machine is acceptable.  Terrace used to have a barista setup -- ask for a latte or cappuccino from there.  Their standard coffee is just plain horrible and is likely from syrup, because brewed coffee cannot be that bad.

• Like 1

Let's include room service coffee with early morning coffee & OJ for sipping on balcony in tropical climes.  Prompt, efficient & friendly service; decent OJ (though not fresh-squeezed, for which they can be forgiven); coffee guaranteed either to awaken you with a start...or kill you.  Have you ever licked the inside of a battery?

That said, it sure wouldn't keep us away from cruising with O.  As other have noted above, there's always Baristas plus espresso machines in both Horizons and the Terrace Cafe (or were the last time we sailed pre-Covid).  Always good!

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Does anyone know how early can one get a cappuccino or espresso on the Regatta? 

usually 6:30 am  maybe 6  am from Barristas

Never tried  other venues  possible room service  but Barristas is the best place  😉

JMO

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JerseyShore said:

On Princess the coffee is terrible...

Princess' coffee is one of the main reasons I stopped cruising with them years ago.  I simply couldn't get up every morning and bear what they were serving.  Oceania's run-of-the-mill coffee is pretty terrible, but it's still better than Princess' best.  In our morning room service, we order 2 carafes of coffee and and 2 double espressos to mix in after the butler leaves.

• Like 1

My complaint on the coffee is that it is far too strong and bitter. I’ve been told that I should instead request a café Americano, which is espresso with extra water (if I have that correct).

• Like 1

The best mornings start with coffee from Horizons on any O ship. 4 or more cups a day  from Horizons, room service, GDR, Terrace Cafe or Baristas’ coffee works for me.

Edited by Norseh2o

14 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Does anyone know how early can one get a cappuccino or espresso on the Regatta? 

6:30 am near the GDR.  If you want machine espresso - they are located in Horizons and in the Terrace. These are not the greatest (I am a coffee snob 🙂 ) but is OK in a pinch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Horizons pre covid was my first breakfast location. A nice latte, a pain au chocolate and then watch the sea or the port approaching, nice and quiet. Then I would go wake Marital Unit up and proceed to second breakfast. Post covid the coffee area still has coffee but sadly no lovely pastries. 

On my Sirena TA I would take our travel mugs to Anne in Baristas and hand them over (she is so great she remembered our order after the first day) and then took them back to the cabin to enjoy before breakfast. 

Waves bar on Sirena doesn’t have coffee facilities, but they will go get you one if you ask nicely. Marina has a coffee machine and it’s perfectly acceptable. 

Actually like the location of Baristas more on Sirena as it is less of a faff to get there from any lift, whereas you have to choose the aft lift to get a clear run on Marina. 

• Like 1

Recently completed my first sailing with O and was truly stunned at how terrible the GDR coffee was, so much emphasis on food, and they can't even manage run of the mill coffee.

I found the machines in Horizons and found the latte quite good and came to rely on them for my morning jolt.  Baristas was of course great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Baristas is fabulous, and I'm also OK with coffee, lattes, etc from the machines located near several dining venues and yes - the Concierge lounges too.  The room service coffee is vile and can spoil even the best breakfast.  After years of frustration with this, my dear husband came up with a solution.  We bring along a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream and spike our room service coffee with it.  It's our magic way of waking up when on vacation.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Just curious

what type of coffee do people drink at home?

Ground ? Instant? pods?

Brand?

DH find the regular coffee fine on the ships 

At home, Seattle's Best #4 (6th Avenue Bistro - Organic), ground.  

Cruising - Never tried coffee in the GDR.  Our caffeine intake is typically confined to breakfast in the stateroom.  Although there have been exceptions, we find it generally fine for our tastes.

Edited by 1985rz1

Kirkland (i.e., Costco) House Blend, medium roast, whole bean, roasted by Starbucks.  Grind it fresh every morning, thence into a Melitta cone with boiling Arrowhead spring water poured over.  

Not like having an espresso machine but it beats the acidic, burnt-tasting product of O's urns.  And, luckily, there's (nearly) always Baristas!