How are Covid cases on NCL ships?

14 hours ago, dcipjr said:

... I drove myself to the CVS drive-through for a PCR test, which will confirm the rapid test and help get me a doctor’s note for work ... 
Right now I feel about like I do when I have a cold. I’m not particularly enjoying it, but I’ve felt worse. Thank goodness for the vaccine ... 
Ironically, this may mean we’ll all go on vacation sooner than planned—if we all get COVID and recover, might as well take advantage of that immunity window. 🤪

... It seems like 7 days is short enough to avoid testing positive onboard, but people are testing positive once off the ship. 

Good, we feel the improvement each morning, slept well again overnight - good appetite, she wants to go to Taste for breakfast 😁😁😁😁😁  Too late, I said - how about The Local for that loaded hot breakfast, juice, coffee & plate of fresh fruit.   We aren't entirely symptoms-free yet, did another BinaxNow yesterday, 2 lines - didn't take more than 10 minutes to begin showing up on the slide, not going anywhere until next week at the earliest & not without the KN95 stepping outside to take out garbage or package deliveries.  BIL has thus far, managed to isolate & keep the other 2 ladies safe from possible secondary exposure, now that they've been home for 5+ days. 

As of this moment, we are on track, on course - and revising or cancelling plans to cruise this Fall, within 125 days already / past final payment-cancel without penalty ... not much happening with the Roll Call, yet. 

> > >    This is an edited 'transcript" - verbatium from that week of ours' social media club this morning (personal data, deleted) - a partial, non-verified snapshot of what was going on/happening post-cruise ... it's not good, fueling community spread quietly and under the radar.  On the plus side, everyone has been (should) immunized and most boosted (hopefully) - 

Started feeling ill on Monday. Took a test, it was negative. Took another test today, positive.
Reply16h
L
Author
H I took a test Sunday and Monday both were positive my husband took them on Sunday negative Monday positive. I did get the new medicine out so today I tested negative my husband wants to wait till he’s done his medicine
Reply16hEdited

L what is the new medicine out ???
Reply16h
H
C she might be talking about Paxlovid?
Reply16h
L
Author
H yes that’s it
Reply15h
D
Husband has bad cold now but tested negative
Reply16h
I’m fine and I’m on the oasis for the next 2 weeks.
Reply16h
J
Came home very sick and feels like Covid but still testing negative.
Reply16h
L
Pretty sure I have a cold didn't test tho
Reply16h
L
Tested, negative, must be an old school cold.
Reply14h
A
Yes family positive.
Reply16h
Oh no! I hope everyone is feeling alright. M and I are fine.
Reply16h
M
We are on the joy now and there are plenty of people coughing and hacking up a lung (not covering their mouths either) ::sigh::
Reply15h
M that’s cause some people just don’t have any manners. When I was on the gem a guy next to me was coughing and not covering his mouth. So I said can u cover ur mouth when you cough. He told my why I don’t have covid. So my response well … See more
Reply15h
M
K makes me hate people lol
Reply15h
+2
M ... tell me about it
Reply15h
F
Took a test Tuesday and results came today NEGATIVE 😁
Reply15h
S
Hi guys
Wow!! NO
Reply15h
R
Reply14h
N
I do know for a fact they had at least 10 rooms on the 5th floor in quarantine food being delivered with masks and face shields in containers and when they were finished they left a big bag in front of door . By sat all doors were open and being cleane… See more
Reply13h
M
I felt sick on Sunday when I came home and was positive my mother in law tested posited on Tuesday. My husband and father in law still negative
Reply11h
J
Yes, my husband tested positive and got sick on Friday. I have mild pneumonia.
Reply10hEdited

Over 90% of the fleet is reporting Orange Status to CDC today.  There is no red status since it means self reporting and nobody will self report "my medical staff are overrun".  Omicron BA.2.XXX is punching a big hole right through the safety and testing protocols.  

I too am booked in the fall and I'm watching carefully how this wave progresses.  I'm not holding out hope that the Omicron variant vaccine will be available in time for our cruise in late October.  So my best option for a non-interrupted, quarantine free cruise is to be exposed to Omicron in August/September.  It's a horrible plan but given the virility and transmissibility of BA.2 it could be inevitable. 

Edited by CrazyTrain2
typo

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Good, we feel the improvement each morning, slept well again overnight - good appetite, she wants to go to Taste for breakfast 😁😁😁😁😁  Too late, I said - how about The Local for that loaded hot breakfast, juice, coffee & plate of fresh fruit.   We aren't entirely symptoms-free yet, did another BinaxNow yesterday, 2 lines - didn't take more than 10 minutes to begin showing up on the slide, not going anywhere until next week at the earliest & not without the KN95 stepping outside to take out garbage or package deliveries.  BIL has thus far, managed to isolate & keep the other 2 ladies safe from possible secondary exposure, now that they've been home for 5+ days. 

Ahh, I had a bit of a setback: my fever is gone, cough is nearly gone, but now so is my sense of taste and smell.

I can hardly smell anything—only if it’s a super strong smell, and even then only a tiny whiff, like it was something the next room over. I can taste the difference between salty and sweet but that’s about it.

I had my coffee this morning, it tasted like warm water with just the slightest hint of burned wood. 😔

I heard it can take a week or two for smell and taste to come back. I would be happy with taste for breakfast, even if I can’t have Taste for breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dcipjr said:

Ahh, I had a bit of a setback: my fever is gone, cough is nearly gone, but now so is my sense of taste and smell.

I can hardly smell anything—only if it’s a super strong smell, and even then only a tiny whiff, like it was something the next room over. I can taste the difference between salty and sweet but that’s about it.

I had my coffee this morning, it tasted like warm water with just the slightest hint of burned wood. 😔

I heard it can take a week or two for smell and taste to come back. I would be happy with taste for breakfast, even if I can’t have Taste for breakfast.

It can take months....if you got it proper.

5 hours ago, detwings said:

Just got back from Ncl Breakaway on 5/15 and tested positive for COVID 3 days later. Was in the Haven, didn't get off ship.

Wow. Seems like there was a big outbreak on the ship but it went unreported because everyone tested positive after they got off 

I tested positive the day after we disembarked 

Reading this thread was definitely interesting. But I think a lot of people are looking at it incorrectly.  

There is absolutely nothing that can be done to stop the spread of omicron.  Given time, and a population in close quarters, it will spread.  

The default decision point right now should be, 'I will get covid on this cruise, am I comfortable with that?'

I was on the escape transatlantic. I'm pretty sure covid ran rampant through the ship once we hit mainland Europe. Was it because we hit mainland Europe, or was it just because the time it took us to get there was sufficient for incubation? I don't know.  Most do antigen tests prior to boarding, how accurate are they?

People were sniffling and coughing, including myself.  I had a very stuffed up nose and headache around day 9-10.   But I kept my mouth shut, popped some pills and went about my cruise. 

Here's the problem, you have self selection bias. In order to be part of the official count, you have to volunteer.  And in order to be quarantined you have to volunteer.  I bet if you had 15-20% of potential cases informing NCL of symptoms it would be on the high side. 

For most vaxxed individuals, covid is now just a cold.  It is not worth seeking medical attention, nor is it even worth confirming it's actually covid.  This is the mindset of most people.  

Ignorance is bliss.  

Once you're in quarantine, treatment doesn't change, and service goes way down.  

You can do everything right and still get covid. 

It's not a matter of if, but when. 

This is the reality now, if you're not comfortable with this, you shouldn't be on a cruise ship.  

• Like 7

On 5/20/2022 at 7:17 AM, detwings said:

Just got back from Ncl Breakaway on 5/15 and tested positive for COVID 3 days later. Was in the Haven, didn't get off ship.

Sorry to hear about that.  There goes my dream of just staying in the Haven for the entire duration of the cruise and thus avoid COVID - lol. 

• Like 1

From following this thread, learned that if the port of disembarkation is in Canada, the government states that the operator is required to organize and pay for your quarantine if you become COVID positive while onboard.  

Edited by FM

Interesting thread. My husband and I were on the 4/3 sailing of the Getaway - not very impressed with the port or the sailing! Entertainment was good though.  This was my second post - pandemic cruise. First was RCI Oasis in September. Wonderful cruise! Half capacity, everyone vaxxed and masked (except for a few kids), ship was totally cleaned, elevators were usually empty…dining room tables were too close together, but…DD and I had a great time and returned, after a 6 hour train ride, Covid free. 

In April I cruised on the Getaway with DH. As soon as he got off the plane to NYC, the mask came off. At no time did he mask and I rarely saw a mask on any other guest. The transport bus was full, the ship was close to or at capacity, port was jammed and we were there for hours, elevators were jammed, venues were jammed, distancing didn’t happen. He started getting a cold the Friday before we docked. Saturday I was sniffling with a cough (I have a large set of allergies so frequently present like I have a cold anyway).  Home Sunday and since I work in a hospital, had been out of the country and was mildly symptomatic I had to test Tuesday. DH decided to also. We were both negative. I had to retest with a PCR test 5 days after returning, and for some reason DH decided to also. Yup. Both of us were positive. (May I say, if the fate of humanity depends on my husband isolating we are doomed! 😆). I’ve heard that there were quite a few cases on the Getaway with that sailing.

Will I cruise again? I will - DD and I are booked for a Sept. NE/Canada cruise. We will mask, social distance, take the stairs and pretty much keep to ourselves. It’ll be a great cruise! Covid isn’t going away and It’s not worth hiding. 

• Like 1

Just a perspective from outside the Cruise industry to put some perspective on this thread with regards Covid and testing and expectations..

I work in the Medical Device industry and we are tested *at least once per working week, with many people voluntarily testing multiple times per working week. The testing is free (Lateral flow testing from an independent medical institute)

We are a workforce of sub 500 employees, all fully vaccinated including booster and mask wearing along with social distancing, a daily personal COVID questionnaire must be completed prior to arrival on site, we also have electronic contract tracing, plus hand sanitization is a must on entry to the building and to any department within the plant regardless if you visit 1 or 20 departments a day, this is compounded with regular (hourly) area clean downs with IPA.

The reality is,  COVID  rips trough the place, with many employees test at home as well as on site, and like my experience, many people have tested negative in the AM at home (or weekend) with the lateral flow testing Kits, and tested positive for COVID in the PM on with site lateral flow testing Kits and later confirmed with a PCR test.

My point is, testing is great but, I truly do not think we cannot avoid infection with the current strain of COVID when in prolonged social/groups regardless of how careful we all are or in some cases we think we are!

It certainly won't put me off cruising, and I will admit I was sick with COVID previously (I do not want to experience that again/I have an underlying respiratory illness) but life is to short and I have already waited 3 years for this cruise... and just maybe if I drink enough alcohol every thing will be OK and it will keep COVID at bay (Pun intended 🙂 )

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 5/12/2022 at 10:25 AM, KateQ22003 said:

This makes me really sad. I am an active cancer patient, and scheduled to sail on the Pearl on June 17th. My oncologist doesn't want me to go, but she said we would wait a few more weeks to see what Covid does before she gives her final recommendation. I am double vaxxed and double boosted, but I know my immune system is crap so I am going to have to defer to what my doctor says. I desperately need a cruise; I have been house-bound since the beginning of the pandemic!

Does anyone know if there is any place to get this information other than boards like this? I need to keep my eye on Pearl covid cases, but not quite sure how to do that!

Hi Kate— I love this site. It’s broader than what you’re looking for, as it covers over boards and other crises at sea, but good info overall. http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

6 hours ago, Betsynh said:

Hi Kate— I love this site. It’s broader than what you’re looking for, as it covers over boards and other crises at sea, but good info overall. http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Thank you for this link! Interesting site for sure. 

I am currently in the throes of Covid; my wonderful husband brought it home to me from his workplace. It just kills me that for over 2 years I have gone nowhere but the cancer center, and I still couldn't avoid it. I'm feeling really lousy this morning and have been up since 2 because I couldn't stop coughing. This is a miserable virus, and anyone who says it's like a cold must have horrible colds! I don't think I have ever felt so lousy. Trying to look on the bright side - maybe now I can cruise soon!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

This is a miserable virus, and anyone who says it's like a cold must have horrible colds! I don't think I have ever felt so lousy. 

That's the thing about this virus, it's different for everyone.

For the vast majority of people I know that have contracted the virus, it was like a cold.

I, for the first time that I'm aware, tested positive last Monday with mild symptoms. A headache and a cough. I'm pretty sure I brought it home to my wife after a concert. She tested positive 3 days after me, also with mild symptoms. Our headaches and coughs progressed to head colds, with my symptoms dissipating beginning on the 4th day and almost entirely gone by today. My wife seems to be following the same way with her symptoms. We are all triple vaxxed.

For us, covid has been just like a cold, although we do sympathize with those that are having a harder time.

We're sailing Joy 6/26 and hopefully our small battle with covid now helps to keep it away from us during our sailing.

Feel better soon!

It really is so different for everyone.  Last week two of my daughters came down with covid.  Each live in different states.  Both had bad headaches, fever and severe vomiting and both went to the ER.  Was given fluids for hydration and sent home.  One is four months pregnant and only had the one J&J vax.  The other is a high school teacher and triple vaxed.

Two days later both their husbands came down with it.  Only slight fever and colds.  My pregnant daughter's four year old also came down with it mildly.  The teacher's two high school age sons are so far negative.

Both me and my husband work in the medical field.  We have been on four cruises since the pandemic and thankfully have not had any problems.  Our next cruise is in September.  Reading all the above posts I admit being guilty of letting down my guard, not wearing masks and not social distancing.   I will now try to stick to stricter protocols.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WexIrl said:

My point is, testing is great but, I truly do not think we cannot avoid infection with the current strain of COVID when in prolonged social/groups regardless of how careful we all are or in some cases we think we are!

Thank you for your perspective. I agree that there will inevitably be Covid cases (whether detected or not) on all cruises. But just to be clear, you are saying that they should continue testing (and isolating), right? Because 30 cases is still better than 300 cases?

Or are you saying that the cost of testing and the disruption of putting people in isolation is not worth it, given that we could just let it run wild and "only" a few people would get seriously ill and die? And that lots of people are going to catch it no matter what precautions we take?

NCL is clearly moving towards the second approach, doing little to no testing and not enforcing masking etc. Asking people to get tested 2 or 3 days before boarding is better than nothing, but it is so easy to show them a bogus negative result, I'm sure there are people who are knowingly infected but determined to cruise anyway, and unless they are showing obvious symptoms, there is no way to stop them.

I feel bad for people with higher risk factors who are eager to cruise and who probably assume that the longer they wait, the safer it will be for them. But the truth is that things were much safer a few months ago (even at the peak of Delta) than they are now.

Edited by hawkeyetlse
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Thank you for your perspective. I agree that there will inevitably be Covid cases (whether detected or not) on all cruises. But just to be clear, you are saying that they should continue testing (and isolating), right? Because 30 cases is still better than 300 cases?

Or are you saying that the cost of testing and the disruption of putting people in isolation is not worth it, given that we could just let it run wild and "only" a few people would get seriously ill and die? And that lots of people are going to catch it no matter what precautions we take?

NCL is clearly moving towards the second approach, doing little to no testing and not enforcing masking etc. Asking people to get tested 2 or 3 days before boarding is better than nothing, but it is so easy to show them a bogus negative result, I'm sure there are people who are knowingly infected but determined to cruise anyway, and unless they are showing obvious symptoms, there is no way to stop them.

I feel bad for people with higher risk factors who are eager to cruise and who probably assume that the longer they wait, the safer it will be for them. But the truth is that things were much safer a few months ago (even at the peak of Delta) than they are now.

On my Cunard cruise, we were all tested by the cruise line before getting on the ship in addition to pre-cruise testing.  

Yes, if I needed to reduce risk I would be looking for a cruise line that is still doing that, which is no longer the case for NCL (unless a country on the itinerary absolutely requires it). It's not foolproof, but it is much better than relying on a result from a test that may or may not have happened 3 days earlier.

The problem is unless you're booking last minute, nobody knows what the protocols will be for any ship several months from now. Maybe the whole world will be in monkeypox lockdown by then.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

2 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

That's just it.  All of these measures really do accomplish nothing. 

1. Pre-boarding testing - pre-boarding tests confirm don't have COVID when they stick a swab up your nose.   Once time has passed, the test is essentially useless in determining if you have COVID when you board the boat.   And if you're using antigen vs. molecular tests, reports are saying that as much of 20% of positive cases are being reported as false negatives.  2 in 10 positive people are able to pass an antigen test and board the ship.  
  2. Isolation and quarantine - voluntary self reporting is the biggest problem here and there really is no way around it.  My anecdotal bet is that for every 1 person who reports themselves to sickbay, 7-15 don't.   Me personally, on the boat a few weeks ago, had mild symptoms and drugged up to avoid disruption to my holiday.  (by the numerous others publicly exhibiting symptoms, I assume I wasnt' the only one)
  3. "30 cases is better than 300 cases"  - your flawed statement here is that 30 reported cases actually equals 30 cases.  I'd say (using my estimates above) 30 reported cases are more representative of 210-450 actual cases on the ship.  

All of these measures do one thing and one thing only, they make people feel better.  That's it.  They don't do anything to stop COVID, there are just too many loopholes in the policies and the current circulating strain of the virus is just too transmittable.  Especially in a situation where people are cohorted in close quarters for an extended period of time.  It only takes one case to get on the boat and spread, and statistically, you'll probably end up with more than 1 at the start.  

So again, I'll reiterate, if you are truly concerned about risk mitigation and the virus, you need to assume that if going on a cruise (any cruise line), you will get covid, and be comfortable with that fact.  There is nothing the cruise line, nor yourself can reasonably do to eliminate the risk of COVID spreading throughout the ship.  

• Like 5

Keep in mind the protocols are made for the severity of the disease.  Omicron BA.2 seems to not be the ventilator inducing beast for a vaccinated/boosted/exposed population.  Testing/Wiping/cleaning/masks will not stop the spread of Omicron BA.2 especially the subvariants below BA.2.  The OUTCOME of having a well vaccinated/well boosted ship population is MUCH more positive than the unvaccinated/unexposed.  The conditions right now are significantly different than just a few months ago - BA.2 is much more virulent than even BA.1 (Old School Omicron).

So far, while there has been widespread Covid onboard/ near debarkation and Cruising seems to be a highly correlated infection spread vector, it has not overwhelmed the medical staff onboard nor post cruising medical facilities.    

Collectively, the world is in for a few rocky months.  Cruising will be a spread vector, but so will concerts, movie theaters, family gatherings, Memorial day get togethers, public transportation and any other place where people gather for extended periods of time and viral load is high.

Personally, I'm trying to time WHEN I get BA.2 prior to my October cruise rather than try to avoid what I feel is the unavoidable.  Cruising has been designated as a high risk activity for Covid by the CDC and It will be especially high risk until the general population has been exposed to Omicron BA.2 et al.  No Cruise line or CDC guideline will protect you from this beast.

Off the Joy 5/22 (yesterday) and hubby and daughter tested positive today. Mild symptoms  I tested negative but going for pcr because I feel that’s a false negative as I feel mildly sick. I think we were a little too lax with our mask wearing 😞

38 minutes ago, Quencups said:

Off the Joy 5/22 (yesterday) and hubby and daughter tested positive today. Mild symptoms  I tested negative but going for pcr because I feel that’s a false negative as I feel mildly sick. I think we were a little too lax with our mask wearing 😞

On 5/22/2022 at 9:08 AM, jules181 said:

Most do antigen tests prior to boarding, how accurate are they?

The package insert will tell you. There are two numbers, one for accuracy of positive tests, and one for accuracy of negative tests. False positives don't happen very often; the Abbot tests I've used are 98% accurate so only 2% false positive. But the accuracy when you get a negative test is only about 92%, so 8% of the time you are getting a false negative (meaning, you're infected even though the test says you're not). So it could be on any given ship that up to 8% of the people who tested negative are really infected.

Edited by fshagan
Corrected "that 8% of the people" to "that up to 8% of the people."