Oslo to Bergen train question (Viking extension)

SailorPaulH

I asked this question in another forum, but it was suggested that this forum might be the best place for it, so ....

Question: Does anybody know what time train Viking uses for their Oslo/Bergen extension (Direction: Oslo --> Bergen). I am hoping (assuming) it is the one that is early around 8 AM ish!?

Thanks.

• Like 1

We did the 21st April Cruise and did the Oslo to Bergen train trip having stayed in a hotel, under the railway station at Oslo, overnight.  We did the whole thing independently and caught the 10.30am train.  . J

• Like 2

Used to be the early one but recently have read reports of some leaving at the mid- morning (10:00 ish) and one person reported leaving from Bergen to Oslo at 2:00 in the afternoon! 😮

2 hours ago, molymoo said:

Used to be the early one but recently have read reports of some leaving at the mid- morning (10:00 ish) and one person reported leaving from Bergen to Oslo at 2:00 in the afternoon! 😮

Bergen to Oslo did leave around 2PM, but OP is asking about Oslo>Bergen.

5 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Bergen to Oslo did leave around 2PM, but OP is asking about Oslo>Bergen.

I am well aware of that ... I was simply trying to illustrate the fact that one cannot be sure of the time they will book the train for your extension ... on either route.  I have done this extension twice and once we left Bergen at about 8:30 and another time we went on the 10:30 train.  It is going to depend on what Viking is able to "book in bulk".  Thank you for correcting me though.

Thank you all for the input. For those that went on the Viking extension booked train ride, how did you find out what train departure schedule you were on? Was it in your documentation beforehand? Some other way? I'm trying to co-ordinate an activity at the destination, so actually knowing would be a big help. Thank you.

We are doing this pre extension Oslo-Bergen on a Viking cruise in April 2023. For those who have previously gone on this extension, I have several questions:

1. Do you have any tips for what to do/where to eat in Oslo for the time you are on your own? 

2. Overall are you happy you booked this extension?

3. Is there is a better side to sit on the train - and do you even have a choice or does Viking give you assigned seats? 

4. Do you eat lunch in the train dining room or at your seat? 

5. If the train leaves mid morning, do you get to the ship just in time for dinner?

And any other pertinent information is appreciated!

TIA

55 minutes ago, GoNavyFamily said:

We are doing this pre extension Oslo-Bergen on a Viking cruise in April 2023. For those who have previously gone on this extension, I have several questions:

1. Do you have any tips for what to do/where to eat in Oslo for the time you are on your own? 

2. Overall are you happy you booked this extension?

3. Is there is a better side to sit on the train - and do you even have a choice or does Viking give you assigned seats? 

4. Do you eat lunch in the train dining room or at your seat? 

5. If the train leaves mid morning, do you get to the ship just in time for dinner?

And any other pertinent information is appreciated!

TIA

55 minutes ago, GoNavyFamily said:

1. Grand Cafe in Oslo. Nice sidewalk seating to people watch for lunch. Would imagine dinner would be spectacular. 

2. Yes, very! Bergen was a gem.

3. It’s almost a toss-up, but I’d vote left side for more vistas/photo ops.

Seating is rush seating - never seen oldsters move so fast!!
4. I believe you can take food to your seat, but alcohol must be consumed in the dining car. Big windows, so you won’t miss a thing.

5. Train trip takes 7 hours.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS

6 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

Thank you all for the input. For those that went on the Viking extension booked train ride, how did you find out what train departure schedule you were on? Was it in your documentation beforehand? Some other way? I'm trying to co-ordinate an activity at the destination, so actually knowing would be a big help. Thank you.

We did not have any of the specifics of this pre-extension  (sightseeing tour time, covid-test time at the Dr. Dropin across the street from the hotel, luggage placement time, and meet-up time to walk to the nearby Oslo Central Station to catch the 10:30 train to Bergen)  until we checked in at the Thon Hotel Opera.  The Viking host at the hotel gave us a 2-sheet printout with all these details and was able to answer our questions.

• Like 1

It was called the Comfort Inn Central under the station.  It was definitely the smallest room we have ever stayed in, but perfectly adequate and the food was acceptable.  It was inexpensive too.    (I cannot walk far or quickly). The 'Thon  Opera Hotel is very near.  J.     We got a taxi from the hotel to the ship......The most expensive taxi per mile it was too but the traffic was heavy and so the metre was ticking along!!!  Once at the ship we were treated like royalty.  All luggage taken away and charming staff greeting us.    J

The Comfort Inn Central is not under the Central Station.  The hotel is part of the remodeled original station.  We have stayed there.  Rooms were small and comfortable with no noise issues.  The principal advantage to the Comfort Inn Central is that it is a convenient indoor walk to the train tracks and reasonably priced for Oslo.  The Thon Opera is a more upscale, expensive hotel also attached to the train station, but in a new building.   We stayed at the Comfort Inn in September, 2019.  There were several nice restaurants in the original station, but I am not sure what survived Covid times.  

• Like 1

The Oslo train station had a wide variety of excellent dining options, both inside and outside seating. We stayed at the Thon Opera and ate at a very nice Italian restaurant at the very far end of the station nearest Karl Johans Gate. Don't know what survived covid, but I'm sure you can google it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WisRiver said:

The Comfort Inn Central is not under the Central Station.  The hotel is part of the remodeled original station.  We have stayed there.  Rooms were small and comfortable with no noise issues.  The principal advantage to the Comfort Inn Central is that it is a convenient indoor walk to the train tracks and reasonably priced for Oslo.  The Thon Opera is a more upscale, expensive hotel also attached to the train station, but in a new building.   We stayed at the Comfort Inn in September, 2019.  There were several nice restaurants in the original station, but I am not sure what survived Covid times.  

We flew to Oslo and took a train.  At the Central Station  we did not have to go outside to walk  to the Comfort Hotel. and the restaurant was part of the complex.  This made it very easy for me as I have mobility problems.  The former entrance to the station takes you to the Central Station.  J 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

We are on for the pre excursion in 2023 and a little concerned about how comfortable the train seats are.  My husband has back issues and is very tall.  We fly first class due to discomfort in economy seating.  How comfortable are the train seats for 7 hours!?

Will try to report back after July! 🙂