Currently on Navigator Miami to Montreal

6 minutes ago, cwn said:

How did Regent determine that you were close contacts?

They were travelling with friends who tested positive.  Assuming they were socializing and dining with the positive friends….therefore close contacts. Probably why they were motivated to disembark quickly to avoid quarantine on land.   

5 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Personally I'd be pretty steamed if I had to quarantine for that long on a separate deck with no symptoms, especially knowing the whole ship is vaccinated.

Just because the ship is vaccinated does not mean that Covid can not be spread or contracted.  The real risk (assuming your personal health status supports a low to no serious impact of contracting Covid), is being quarantined for an extended period (potentially separated from your travelling companion).  

That is why for our 25 day Mariner cruise in April, we wore masks, did our own rapid tests periodically, and limited our interactions to those who did the same. Not ideal, but we avoided quarantine (while others did not by being more social, not wearing masks, pretending Covid did not exist etc). We still had a great time…perhaps we were lucky, but we tried to be aware and adjust accordingly.  

• Like 2

Many thanks for your even handed review. We sailed on the Navigator in January of 2006 and the vibration was absolutely horrid. I have not sailed on her since. It made quite an impression! Anyway, we are trying Regent again, this time Voyager. If she vibrates, that will be it for me. We have enjoyed Azamara and will be interested to compare the two lines. 

3 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Many thanks for your even handed review. We sailed on the Navigator in January of 2006 and the vibration was absolutely horrid. I have not sailed on her since. It made quite an impression! Anyway, we are trying Regent again, this time Voyager. If she vibrates, that will be it for me. We have enjoyed Azamara and will be interested to compare the two lines. 

You should do a search of Voyager vibration. There are many posts precovid about the vibration in Voyagers aft cabins. If vibration is a problem for you, you may want to change your cruise to the Mariner or one of the new ships or risk being disappointed again.

We have sailed on the Navigator and the Mariner for over 200 days. Mariner does not have vibration problem. The Navigator does in the stern at higher speeds and rough seas. Precovid I don’t remember any reports about vibration problems on the Explorer. But all ships can have vibration depending on the seas and the speed.

Edited by cwn

7 hours ago, cwn said:

You should do a search of Voyager vibration. There are many posts precovid about the vibration in Voyagers aft cabins. If vibration is a problem for you, you may want to change your cruise to the Mariner or one of the new ships or risk being disappointed again.

We have sailed on the Navigator and the Mariner for over 200 days. Mariner does not have vibration problem. The Navigator does in the stern at higher speeds and rough seas. Precovid I don’t remember any reports about vibration problems on the Explorer. But all ships can have vibration depending on the seas and the speed.

Well, I hope the “vibration isn’t a problem” people are more correct than the “omg, I can’t stand the vibration “ people. We are sailing next month in an aft PHC. We have always enjoyed aft cabins on other ships, and the big balcony is a bonus. I just checked availability, and PHB suites are available so I will ask to move if it is too bothersome. 

2 hours ago, asnaleah said:

Well, I hope the “vibration isn’t a problem” people are more correct than the “omg, I can’t stand the vibration “ people. We are sailing next month in an aft PHC. We have always enjoyed aft cabins on other ships, and the big balcony is a bonus. I just checked availability, and PHB suites are available so I will ask to move if it is too bothersome. 

We are one of those “the vibration isn’t a problem for us” on the Navigator (one of our favorite ships). I only commented as people have been bother by the vibration in the stern of the Voyager and your comment about giving up on Regent if you encounter vibration. 
Agree that aft suites are great. Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, royallondon said:

No word from ChucktownSteve since Saturday, hope all is good 🤔

I am doing well. Thank you for asking.  My recent experiences on Navigator is not what a lot of loyal Regent Navigator fans or some others on this cruise have experienced so I tried not to be negative. I have mixed reactions. Some positive, some negative. 

However we shared a table with another couple tonight who said they've sailed five Regent cruises and rated this 65% of their regular Regent experience.

I expected more from a luxury line after following the threads the last year.  Two examples just this evening for me were:

I order the New Zealand lamb chops which I loved the last two times I ordered it and had come out perfectly cooked.  Tonight not so much.  I ordered Medium rare but they came out Medium well.  My excellent waiter noticed and retrieved me another pair.  He came back within a couple of minutes with more Medium well chops.  Nothing major but not Luxury.

On the way into the show, I stopped at the bar and ordered a Walker Black on the rocks.  They poured red and said the black was empty but if I wanted it, I should go to the Navigator lounge to get it.  They were even out of Bailey's for  few days.  Luxury? 

There are a lot of positives, but many negatives.  Sorry I forgot to bring rose colored glasses   But at this price point, I expected a better experience than Celebrity or Azamara.  Even our Oceania cruise was overall better. 

They offered to move us to a Navigator suite late last night but we declined.  It wasn't worth the effort for just the final four days.  Plus I didn't complain looking to gain one up. 

I'm hoping our next two Regent cruises, one past final payment, will redeem this voyage.  Otherwise Regent may not be for us at this value proposition. I didn't mind stepping up at this price point for the concierge suite.  However I would have felt the same had we been in a lower category suite.  Things are too inconsistent.  I'm not the only one who's felt this way after speaking with several others on the cruise. 

Glad for you if you had different Regent experiences.  Wish I did too.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was on one of the pre-inaugural short cruises on Voyager, and she certainly had vibration .  We were chatting to Captain Dag, who said it was due to cavitation related to the pods.  I imagine something quite difficult to deal with - an expert might let us know.

We did love the ship, though, and travelled on her again a few times.  

Is it just us or is anyone else having tv issues?

Our tv takes over twenty minutes to select  a channel!!

reported it twice to reception but still no resolution . They said the would send someone to reset it ! 
really frustrating!

Edited by janieb1962

2 hours ago, royallondon said:

This is a fairly bespoke itinerary, is it meeting expectations?

The itinerary was the major decision in us booking and exclusive to the Navigator.

Regards

This is a very good itinerary.  I booked this cruise for the same reason.  I hope you'll have a great cruise. Perhaps the problems on this cruise are just a passing post covid situation trying to staff up with new Regent crew.

• Like 1

ChucktownSteve ~ I am sure I speak for many newer Regent cruisers, as we are, when I say we sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to give some insight into your experiences and observations on the Navigator.

Our first cruise on Regent was on the Explorer in January 2020 (pre-Covid) and it was nothing short of spectacular.  In contrast, we completed our second Regent cruise last month ~ a 21 night cruise transatlantic on the Splendor ~ which sadly was substandard in many areas.   Some of our experiences on the Splendor were similar to yours (generally poor food quality and preparation, as well as inconsistent service in Compass Rose, etc.).  However, we were trying to allow for post-Covid hick-ups in our judgement, but it really seemed worlds apart from our first Regent cruise.   I also found that in discussing our experiences/problems with the Splendor on Cruise Critic some of the die hard Regent fans just didn't want to know.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, janieb1962 said:

Is it just us or is anyone else having tv issues?

Our tv takes over twenty minutes to select  a channel!!

reported it twice to reception but still no resolution . They said the would send someone to reset it ! 
really frustrating!

We're not having problems with reception. However the choices are extremely limited. 

Have you tried feeding the hamster that turns your TV generation wheel?

• Haha 4

Going back in time on this voyage, because I neglected to post these in a timely fashion.

Halifax was socked in all day.  I took the Lobster and lighthouses excursion with 85 or so other people.

It was a hefty walk. Let me correct that, a VERY hefty walk to the tour boat.  It was windy and cold.  Here you can see our view towards shore.  We never could see any of the four lighthouses we were supposed to.

Halifx Lobster and Lighthouse excursion 1.jpg

This was the included excursion lunch. It's a 1 1/4 pounder.  Then about a mile or more walk back to the ship.

Halifx Lobster and Lighthouse excursion.jpg

Then sailing out of Halifax while we were dining in Compass Rose, I looked across the dining room to observe the mast and lights from a tug guiding us out in the fog

Sailing out of Halifax during dinner.jpg

Edited by ChucktownSteve

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

The other night Cruise Director Ray performed the show. Besides signing, he's also a ventriloquist.  Very entertaining he is. These are some of the dummies.

Ray CD show 1.jpg

Ray CD show 2.jpg

Ray CD show 4.jpg

Ray CD show 6.jpg

Ray CD show3.jpg

Oohhhh...careful how you say that!  They're Ray's "puppets!" 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrstanley said:

I sure hope things improve as we board in July. Copenhagen to Amsterdam.

We also board in Copenhagen and are hoping the same thing. If it’s as disappointing as our December Mariner cruise, we may be looking for another cruise line. And, we are Regent fans of 20+ years. Looking forward to meeting you!

• Like 1

We have never been on Navigator. We chose it for the itinerary, and we board in a month in Iceland for 2 weeks. Our last Regent cruise was on Mariner, but our last cruise was on the Oceania Riviera. We had very few complaints about our November Oceania cruise, at the moment I cannot think of any, except perhaps for the testing protocol.s Maybe we were just so happy to be onboard, because I am kind of a picky person, or so I am told, lol. 

I am hoping for the best, and looking forward to being away from the horrors here at home in Texas.

21 minutes ago, mrstanley said:

My best friends just completed a cruise on the Splendor. Told me it was Fabulous!!!

How nice for your friends.  However, their opinion does not negate our experience.

• Like 1