Live from the Ruby Princess - 10 day Alaska Inside Passage 5/20-5/30

7seascruising

11 hours ago, CaliforniaCruiseCocktails said:

Try Mer Soliel. We are Rombauer Chardonnay drinkers (buttery oaky $50 bottle) and they had this on Discovery last month. Loved it!

Those are my two wines of choice … last time we were on the Ruby (last month), there was a big shortage onboard of Mer Soliel.  They had two bottles left and weren’t selling it by the glass, even though it was on their menu as such.   I was so happy to get it by the glass on the Discovery last month in Crooners.  
I pretty much know that my friend, @HaveDogWillTravel, doesn’t love chardonnays anything near how much I do.  

• Like 1

So, I’m trying to post some photos and a comment from a friend of mine that is currently onboard.  From @HaveDogWillTravel:  

Posting has been problematic. I will do what I can. 

I went to the Captain circle party tonight. 

Most travelled given as #days, #cruises
1217, 151 

1313,  113

2565, 276 

PAX count 
682 blue 
402gold
222 ruby
436 plat 
338 elite 

Tonight’s dinner menu. Sorry didn’t even look at desert. 

and there’s these new glacial ice drinks that have great presentations. I really like them! 

@coffeeluvr05 thanks for the update dates and info. Much appreciated. Ask the guest services folks to spell their names for you so you can give them a positive review. So happy you are being taken care of.

7D7E67B2-D400-46C6-ACD6-130C358620CE.jpeg

5E42D552-151A-4B18-90E5-92974B94A6B2.jpeg

4E0199C7-08E2-4D92-A492-0C147029674F.jpeg

97F03E18-A7F7-4DD4-8CCB-B17242E14254.jpeg

628A5EAD-A563-4A2C-8885-5DAA18161E20.jpeg

• Like 4

For those of you in isolation in your cabin ,I was reading on another thread someone that had tested positive on Princess quite a few months ago said to make sure that you’ve got all of your medical records from the ship before you disembark. This is going to be needed for reimbursement/claims. They had to jump through lots of hoops to get it after they got home ,because they didn’t know they needed it until they filed a claim.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

For those of you in isolation in your cabin ,I was reading on another thread someone that had tested positive on Princess quite a few months ago said to make sure that you’ve got all of your medical records from the ship before you disembark. This is going to be needed for reimbursement/claims. They had to jump through lots of hoops to get it after they got home ,because they didn’t know they needed it until they filed a claim.  

I would add to make sure you get a copy of your final folio showing paid in full, if you have any charges from the medical center charged to you On Board Account.  This shows 'proof' of your out of pocket expense.

• Like 3

They have been varnishing the hand rails on promenade deck and they are just gorgeous. The aft promenade was open today. This is the second day I’ve found it open.

The fish and beef I’ve had on this sailing have been very nice and much to my liking. 

Can’t seem to post pictures now. Will try again or send to my dear defined @CruiseRaiderto help. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 3:36 PM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Thanks for the well wishes. Yes, very much like a bad cold. Went from bad sinus pressure to just a lot of congestion and now it is in my chest. I would most certainly not want to be walking around the ship in this condition even if I didn’t have Covid. I sound horrible! 

We were to sail on Ruby Princess Memorial Day but one is tested Covid positive two days ago. So rebooked for June 29. Tired, cold symptoms low 99 fever. Be well!

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 3:36 PM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Thanks for the well wishes. Yes, very much like a bad cold. Went from bad sinus pressure to just a lot of congestion and now it is in my chest. I would most certainly not want to be walking around the ship in this condition even if I didn’t have Covid. I sound horrible! 

Were you able to get Paxlovid on board to treat this?? No fun, I know but the treatment works well and I would love to know if it is available on board if we come down with covid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

They have been varnishing the hand rails on promenade deck and they are just gorgeous. The aft promenade was open today. This is the second day I’ve found it open.

The fish and beef I’ve had on this sailing have been very nice and much to my liking. 

Can’t seem to post pictures now. Will try again or send to my dear defined @CruiseRaiderto help. 

Having recently been on the Ruby, the best Wi-Fi was up in Skywalker’s. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zentraveler said:

Were you able to get Paxlovid on board to treat this?? No fun, I know but the treatment works well and I would love to know if it is available on board if we come down with covid.

Yes, Paxlovid is available by prescription on board. We did not choose to get it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2022 at 8:28 PM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I had considered asking them about an antiviral but I would prefer my own doctor’s input.

Paxlovid is only effective if taken within a day or two of having symptoms.

By the time you can see your own doctor it will be too late for this medicine.

9 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Yes, Paxlovid is available by prescription on board. We did not choose to get it. 

Thank you and that is great. I would get it in a heartbeat if I tested positive. I wasn't sure they could possibly have enough on board for a cruise that could have 3K passengers (we usually cruise on much smaller ships).

1 hour ago, zentraveler said:

Thank you and that is great. I would get it in a heartbeat if I tested positive. I wasn't sure they could possibly have enough on board for a cruise that could have 3K passengers (we usually cruise on much smaller ships).

I don’t think a huge % of the passengers / crew contract CoVid and not really sure how many would qualify for taking it even if they did.  It’s good to know they have it in case it is needed, though.  But, you make a good point.  

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I don’t think a huge % of the passengers / crew contract CoVid and not really sure how many would qualify for taking it even if they did.  It’s good to know they have it in case it is needed, though.  But, you make a good point.  

Happy to think that not a lot of people turn positive on the cruise! And also very reassuring that it is available for those who need it. 

• Like 1

Because of the maintenance meds I take, I’d work with my Dr to see if he’d write a scrip for paxlovid to bring on a cruise.  With the number of medications it negatively interacts with, I figure he’d know if it was safe.  It would add a nice feeling of security to have “just in case”.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 9:56 PM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Being quarantined on the Ruby has been a bummer since it happened half way in but I must say we are being well cared for! Someone calls us and asks us what we want for lunch and dinner before we are even hungry. We have had great meals from the MDR. It’s not the same as being there but they are trying!  The medical staff has brought us Tylenol and cold meds. Today our bed linens were changed which I was not expecting. Our room steward brought us real Kleenex today instead of that rough stuff we have been using. Oh my how appreciative I am! My nose is raw! We get to stay in our original cabin because we asked for a room with a bathtub like what we have and they didn’t have one so they let us stay in our room. We are in a mini suite. Of course I would much rather be in the comfort of my home while

being sick, this could be so much worse. 

Hope you get well soon. My infection lasted about 10 days after my cruise, a few months ago , and I was wearing a mask. Curios, were you wearing a mask ?

Reading this thread has shown that some of the Ruby protocols seem to have changed for the better since our cruise in March and April.  We were isolated in inferior cabins and struggled daily to get food.  It was a horrible experience and it appears that filing complaints has fallen on deaf ears so far.  We continue to wait for a response to their short comings.  It seems that the IC has much more choice and the return to butter and buns on tables is a nice touch.  Maybe turndown service and chocolates on the pillows are not too far behind?  Hopefully the painting of the hull happens soon too because the pouring rust was just an embarrassment.  We called it the Ruby Rustbucket.  The ship looked totally un-serviced but remember how beautiful it was when we were on her during the first year of service. Hopefully most people are enjoying this sailing.  

4 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

Because of the maintenance meds I take, I’d work with my Dr to see if he’d write a scrip for paxlovid to bring on a cruise.  With the number of medications it negatively interacts with, I figure he’d know if it was safe.  It would add a nice feeling of security to have “just in case”.

As far as I know now, it is not possible to get Paxlovid prophylactically, in other words, to have if you need it. It requires a positive covid test and a determination by one's physician about its use.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, zentraveler said:

As far as I know now, it is not possible to get Paxlovid prophylactically, in other words, to have if you need it. It requires a positive covid test and a determination by one's physician about its use.  

That's what my doctor told me too.

5 hours ago, Drews_Cruise said:

Reading this thread has shown that some of the Ruby protocols seem to have changed for the better since our cruise in March and April.  We were isolated in inferior cabins and struggled daily to get food.  It was a horrible experience and it appears that filing complaints has fallen on deaf ears so far.  We continue to wait for a response to their short comings.  It seems that the IC has much more choice and the return to butter and buns on tables is a nice touch.  Maybe turndown service and chocolates on the pillows are not too far behind?  Hopefully the painting of the hull happens soon too because the pouring rust was just an embarrassment.  We called it the Ruby Rustbucket.  The ship looked totally un-serviced but remember how beautiful it was when we were on her during the first year of service. Hopefully most people are enjoying this sailing.  

What sort of cabin was inferior? I understood they were using balcony cabins, which should be adequate for the isolation period. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happiest when cruising said:

What sort of cabin was inferior? I understood they were using balcony cabins, which should be adequate for the isolation period. 

It could depend on what type cabin had been booked. If you were in a full suite or a mini-suite and then isolated in a balcony cabin, it would be inferior to what you had.

• Like 1