Tested Positive 6 days before cruise.

So just tested positive 6 days before we are due to embark Jewel of the Seas from Amsterdam.

Have absolutely no symptoms of any kind.

Not entirely sure at what stage of the infection I might be at - felt pretty rough about a week ago , but a test showed negative , so just put it down to hayfever.

What are the chances I might test negative in time for my pre boarding antigen test(I was planning on doing it just before we fly to Amsterdam but could do it the day after in Amsterdam - that would be one day before the cruise)

My wife is currently testing negative.

This is the fourth time we have booked this Iceland cruise - previous 3 cancelled because of covid and my wife's ill health at the time.

8 minutes ago, britty1 said:

So sorry you tested positive.  Do you have at home tests. If not maybe worth picking one up to see how the antigen test is doing now.  Good luck, hope you get to cruise.

My positive test is via an at home antigen test.

I did one myself for no reason other than I was going away next weekend.

I would get another test done.  My friend had just the opposite experience in February.  She had all the symptoms of COVID so she took a test and tested NEGATIVE.  She was still experiencing symptoms a few days later and took another test, this time the test was POSITIVE.  She took the test one more time to confirm and that test also came back POSITIVE.

2 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I would get another test done.  My friend had just the opposite experience in February.  She had all the symptoms of COVID so she took a test and tested NEGATIVE.  She was still experiencing symptoms a few days later and took another test, this time the test was POSITIVE.  She took the test one more time to confirm and that test also came back POSITIVE.

I've actually done 3 tests now - 2 were positive with quite faint lines , the other looked negative but when I went back later there was a very very faint line. I'm hoping this could mean I may be toward the end of the infection? Or maybe that is wishful thinking lol.

I wish you both luck in getting the negative tests you need BEFORE flying to Amsterdam. No way I would get on a flight hoping by the time you sail(date) you both get negative tests.

Is there still the health questionaire about coming in contact in the last 10 days with anyone with Covid? before boarding the ship? Just how do you answer that question?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

More than likely you will be negative in time for your trip.  The fact you  had faint lines is a good sign.  You could very easily be on the tail end.    Most people test negative 5 days after onset of symptoms.   Keep testing right up until you have to do the official one.  

If you want to be certain have the wife do a PCR test to make sure because when you have no symptoms the rapid antigen sometimes does not pick up until it’s too late.  You are flying to Amsterdam you don’t want to find out when you get there or mid cruise or at the end of the cruise because you have to test negative to fly back to the US.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

So just tested positive 6 days before we are due to embark Jewel of the Seas from Amsterdam.

Sorry about your positive test. 

Since you know that you're currently positive, test before you fly. If you test positive, don't fly. Don't wait until you get to the Netherlands, because if you tested positive there, you would be stuck... not allowed back into the US.  It would be totally irresponsible if you flew potentially infecting an entire international flight of passengers and crew.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BND said:

More than likely you will be negative in time for your trip.  The fact you  had faint lines is a good sign.  You could very easily be on the tail end.    Most people test negative 5 days after onset of symptoms.   Keep testing right up until you have to do the official one.  

What do the lines look like at the beginning of getting a positive line? Curious? faint or no lines of any kind? so how would one know at the beginning or the end?

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Since you know that you're currently positive, test before you fly. If you test positive, don't fly. Don't wait until you get to the Netherlands, because if you tested positive there, you would be stuck... not allowed back into the US.  It would be totally irresponsible if you flew potentially infecting an entire international flight of passengers and crew.

+1  Sad part some people don't think like that.

Edited by Jimbo

17 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

I've actually done 3 tests now - 2 were positive with quite faint lines , the other looked negative but when I went back later there was a very very faint line. I'm hoping this could mean I may be toward the end of the infection? Or maybe that is wishful thinking lol.

The darkness of the line is irrelevant and doesn’t indicate how acute or severe.  Since you tested positive you should notify them and get the process started to get your money back.  When you do the health survey you will be asked if you tested positive in the prior 10 days.  So they will know unless you lie which is not something I would not do.  

This is health survey for a public carrier holding thousands of passengers and I’m guessing the ramifications of lying about having Covid and being caught lying could be significant.  Plus you have now posted this information on a public website.  

I don’t know if there would be liability associated with lying on the survey, but I sure wouldn’t want to risk that and I sure wouldn’t want to board a ship and risk infecting people.  That would seem very selfish and in some situations very dangerous (assuming you passed it in to a more high risk person).  We don’t know how long the current strains are contagious for after testing positive.   Stay home.  The ships have enough of a Covid issue as it is.  

• Like 4

I could have tested out of isolation on day 7 or day 8 to return to work as per my employer's policies. Strongly positive on both tests for me. Vaxxed, double boosted, and treated with Paxlovid. 

You may have tested too early with the "hay fever" symptoms. Antigen tests give a lot of false negatives in the early stages of infection. Hopefully you can produce a negative test and your wife doesn't turn up positive. 

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Thanks.

We are actually from the UK.

And I wouldn't dream of flying there while still testing positive in the hope I would be negative the next day , not least because of the risk I would pose to other passengers on the plane.

Unless I can get a couple of clear negative tests at home I won't be going anywhere.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

What do the lines look like at the beginning of getting a positive line? Curious? faint or no lines of any kind? so how would one know at the beginning or the end?

Boldness of line is irrelevant.  My wife had a very faint line and she was very sick.  Like couldn’t get out of bed sick. Mine turned dark in a matter of seconds. I was mildly symptomatic, but functional the entire time. 

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

The darkness of the line is irrelevant and doesn’t indicate how acute or severe.  Since you tested positive you should notify them and get the process started to get your money back.  When you do the health survey you will be asked if you tested positive in the prior 10 days.  So they will know unless you lie which is not something I would not do.  

This is health survey for a public carrier holding thousands of passengers and I’m guessing the ramifications of lying about having Covid and being caught lying could be significant.  Plus you have now posted this information on a public website.  

I don’t know if there would be liability associated with lying on the survey, but I sure wouldn’t want to risk that and I sure wouldn’t want to board a ship and risk infecting people.  That would seem very selfish and in some situations very dangerous (assuming you passed it in to a more high risk person).  We don’t know how long the current strains are contagious for after testing positive.   Stay home.  The ships have enough of a Covid issue as it is.  

I hadn't actually considered the health survey questions,  which I would not be happy about lying on either , so I guess my decision  is made.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, topnole said:

Wow, truthful post...........But no way some people on Cruise Critic think like this. Grabbing my Popcorn, will be right back. 🍿

Personally I think you are cooked on this 4th try for this trip. Cancel and go another time. Get your money back.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

Following on to this maybe someone can help with a question I have .

The cruise is obviously fully paid. I have another cruise in August in Odyssey which is also fully paid.

I would like to book another cruise if I can't go on this one (which is likely!) Probably for end of June. 

Would my travel agent be able to put the value of this cruise directly against a new one if booking it at the same time as cancelling the current one or would I have to get a FCC and pay the new one upfront?

If that is the case the next opportunity I would have to use the FCC is a cruise booked for January 2023 - is there a date by which FCC's have to be used?

6 minutes ago, topnole said:

Boldness of line is irrelevant.  My wife had a very faint line and she was very sick.  Like couldn’t get out of bed sick. Mine turned dark in a matter of seconds. I was mildly symptomatic, but functional the entire time. 

That is what I thought, unlike some others on this thread.

2 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

The cruise is obviously fully paid. I have another cruise in August in Odyssey which is also fully paid.

I would like to book another cruise if I can't go on this one (which is likely!) Probably for end of June. 

Would my travel agent be able to put the value of this cruise directly against a new one if booking it at the same time as cancelling the current one or would I have to get a FCC and pay the new one upfront?

If that is the case the next opportunity I would have to use the FCC is a cruise booked for January 2023 - is there a date by which FCC's have to be used?

Not exactly sure how that works, but you could just pay the $100 per person change fee and be done waiting for the refund or FCC.

25 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I wish you both luck in getting the negative tests you need BEFORE flying to Amsterdam. No way I would get on a flight hoping by the time you sail(date) you both get negative tests.

Is there still the health questionaire about coming in contact in the last 10 days with anyone with Covid? before boarding the ship? Just how do you answer that question?

for once we agree. No way I'd get on a airplane in a few days and hope I could test negative and have to lie on the health questionnaire.  I think it still says 14 days have you tested positive or been around anyone you know was positive. 

I could be wrong on the 14 days. My health questionnaire doesnt open on b2b so I didnt see it and they asked me in person in the terminal. Something new it doesnt open on b2b, just original boarding. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Wow, truthful post...........But no way some people on Cruise Critic think like this. Grabbing my Popcorn, will be right back. 🍿

Well.  I’m not sure I see the controversy.  If people are testing positive (3 times) 6 days before a cruise and then lying on the survey, they are extremely selfish and they are the problem.  

No one should be endorsing or encourage this.  The rules are in place.  I’m not arguing for or against them.  Just that they are there and if you choose to cruise then that is what is required.  

We all know that if we test positive for Covid we shouldn’t be traveling anyhow.  Doing this will just bring back more strict protocols.  There are folks that are sincerely unaware they have Covid traveling.  We don’t need people purposefully spreading it on public carriers.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Trixie21 said:

You should get a full refund.  So you don’t need to transfer the funds to another cruise.  But so check with how you are booked.  If you are under cruise with confidence I think you simply get a full refund.  

• Like 1