Breakaway Dining Question

joestein514

1 hour ago, Desiree Hooter said:

A normal meal works out to $58.98 per night,

That's not what was asked.

@FM my meals at a-la-carte venues have worked out to between $40 (Q on the Bliss) and I think $86 (plus the 'free' portion of the crabcake as the receipt only shows the up-charge portion) at Cagney's.

• Like 2

@FM - Two weeks ago on the Joy (and, similarly on the Getaway this March/April) - our average itemized total for Cagney's came close to 85 or $90 only per person using the Platinum/Sapphire free vouchers ... that was zeroed out, just signed for it (unless there were upcharged items like the crab cake lump.)  With the Free At Seas Specialty Dining being more generous, extra choice of starter/soup/salad and extra sides - we ran up the dining total for 2 to $207 with one and $217 on another, excluding an upcharge - just sign, add extra tips as appropriate and say bye.  Porterhouse 20 oz. is $45 and covered, no extra charge.  Prices in Le Bistro are fairly similar, La Cucina is slightly/somewhat low, all being a la carte.

With Food Republic, we had a great time and used SD (it's open for lunch on full sea days) from 4 of us, choice of 4 items per person, no caps or upgrade on anything in the current menu - for 16 items, more than enough for 6 to share ... itemized, it came to much less - about $250 only or $61 p/p.  It's perfectly and absolutely fine to do Specialty Dining again for the same evening, go to Q or Moderno, Le Bistro or Ocean Blue, etc. depending on which ship & restaurants with available reservations ... 

Already booked on an upcoming sailing, sign in and go to the dining section, click & view the menu ... best to download it.  Once onboard, the reservation desk or kiosk also has the menu (in addition to stateroom's iTV menu, just use the remote to scroll)  It is supposed to be available via QR code, scan & download to save and read later ... but, for whatever reasons - technical errors, didn't work for us.  

Here is the latest, current May 2022 Teppanyaki menu, prices & options as shown.  

P.S.  do use the "Block User" option below Account Setting - best way to ignore is NOT to respond and feed. 

Teppanyaki_Mobile-Menu_v011122.pdf

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FM said:

Do you know much on average would a normal meal come in at (appetizer, main, dessert) if one went a la carte instead as trying to determine how much of a savings one would be receiving if purchasing an additional specialty dining package

It really varies depending on the restaurant and what you order.  Sample menus are available on the website.  At Ocean Blue, Le Bistro, or Cagneys, it would be very easy to run up a $70 check pp before tip.  It would be much cheaper to buy additional meals on the dining package.  Maybe if you were going to the diner it would be cheaper than a package meal but, even there, you could conceivably run up a check where the package would make sense.

Personally, I don't like expense unpredictability.  So I'll always buy the packages (meals and drinks.)  It's usually worth it in any case.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

P.S.  do use the "Block User" option below Account Setting - best way to ignore is NOT to respond and feed.

Thanks for this.  I was trying to figure out how to block.

• Like 1

I’m confused by this thread.  Between posters obviously trolling with misinformation, and posters unwilling to do the simplest google searches for menus and costs (instead relying on other forum posters to do all the legwork for them).  Very strange.  

The original question seems to have been answered very well on the first page.   Everything beyond that is a matter of preference.  For instance, I NEVER eat at teppanyaki because one could go deaf eating there.  I like quiet intimate meals with the husband…not loud banging and chefs that insist on doing a stand up routine with you.   But once again, that’s my preference.  

It seems like it would be a good idea for some of the people asking questions here to just go pull up a menu, add up the cost of the meal they would order if they happened to be on the ship, and compare it with the cost of the package.  Simple, no?   Much better than trusting some rando on this forum …. because we have a couple of interesting ones posting here.  If you get the package, you (and the person dining with you) are entitled to one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert each (although they don’t mind giving extra appetizers at no cost).   So go price that out.   If you aren’t going to eat that much (let’s say you only want chocolate layer cake from Cagney’s) then the package is not worth it.  I find the package to be worthwhile.  

We don’t know your tastes or what you eat.  Take the links other posters have kindly offered you and do just a little research.  Lord help us with the lazy. It’s YOUR vacation and money!  

• Like 1

Cheapest we have had was 8 plates(2pax) at raw bar.

Came to $130(with tip).

£30/$40 package meal was the way to go.

(You can use 1 and have 4 plates to share)

The al a carte is smoke mirror to make you feel you got a bargain.

key is are the meals worth $40(or less with a bigger package).

Bistro&Cagnies come out a lot higher.

7 hours ago, CruiseCriticBoard said:

It seems like it would be a good idea for some of the people asking questions here to just go pull up a menu, add up the cost of the meal they would order if they happened to be on the ship, and compare it with the cost of the package.  Simple, no?

You would think, but many people seem content to ask a question here and wait hours for an answer when a simple Google search using the same phrase as their question would result in an answer in seconds.  Many times the questions can be answered just by browsing the NCL site.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, hallux said:

You would think, but many people seem content to ask a question here and wait hours for an answer when a simple Google search using the same phrase as their question would result in an answer in seconds.  Many times the questions can be answered just by browsing the NCL site.

The web stuff is not up to date can even be implemented differently on different ships,

It is the little tricks and experience from recent cruisers that put you ahead before you board.

The 2 meal discount packages are probably only on bookings after the changes the free at sea where they cut the dinner count so will have the option earlier booking not.

They have been waiving the latitudes limits(app, main, desert, $35) at for at least 6months now(Nov and May cruises for us), loads of other reports.

A few months before lockdown they were imposing the $35 limit, got a bill in Bistro for $1.18($36 lamb chops).

People still post its just one app on latitudes. 

It works just like a dinner package, you just pay the package surcharges.

Just got off getaway and you can use the latitude anywhere and they said that started last cruise.

You probably won't find that info yet, even cruise next are not telling people on the ship.

[timemachine]

I do remember the day when there was the ultimate dining package UDP (drinks was UBP) which was unlimited specials you could have 2 a day with lunch dinner(never needed to try 2 dinners).

Forget the time period it ran.

DO have the records from a 10n Jan 2015  when the covers were in the $15-$30 range did 9 dinners and 3 lunches(OH just did the 9 dinners)   racked up $450 worth(pre grats).

unlimited drinks came to $1400(pre grats)

best bit the total for the cruise was $650 each

[/timemachine]

• Like 1

Agree with insidecabin. I found a recent Haven lunch menu from Google and was kind of excited about the lobster bisque and Cobb salad, but it wasn't the same menu the Pearl offered in April this year.

15 minutes ago, meglet said:

Agree with insidecabin. I found a recent Haven lunch menu from Google and was kind of excited about the lobster bisque and Cobb salad, but it wasn't the same menu the Pearl offered in April this year.

Love the Haven! 

On 5/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, joestein514 said:

I have  never cruised on NCL before.  I have been cruising on RCL for quite a few years.

Many times during the cruise, they are trying to "sell" dinner in the premium restaurants.  Sometimes they offer BOGO or a discount on a meal.   (40% off or whatever).

Does anything go on like this on NCL?

OP, I know what you’re talking about. We’ve sailed on RCCL a few times, and each time we were approached with deals for the specialty restaurants. We just returned from a sailing on the Breakaway, and not only did we not encounter anything like that, but we heard from multiple people that it was almost impossible to get a reservation at a specialty restaurant after day two. So make your reservations either ahead of time or soon after boarding!

On 5/28/2022 at 11:56 PM, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

I’m confused by this thread.  Between posters obviously trolling with misinformation, and posters unwilling to do the simplest google searches for menus and costs (instead relying on other forum posters to do all the legwork for them).  Very strange.  

The original question seems to have been answered very well on the first page.   Everything beyond that is a matter of preference.  For instance, I NEVER eat at teppanyaki because one could go deaf eating there.  I like quiet intimate meals with the husband…not loud banging and chefs that insist on doing a stand up routine with you.   But once again, that’s my preference.  

It seems like it would be a good idea for some of the people asking questions here to just go pull up a menu, add up the cost of the meal they would order if they happened to be on the ship, and compare it with the cost of the package.  Simple, no?   Much better than trusting some rando on this forum …. because we have a couple of interesting ones posting here.  If you get the package, you (and the person dining with you) are entitled to one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert each (although they don’t mind giving extra appetizers at no cost).   So go price that out.   If you aren’t going to eat that much (let’s say you only want chocolate layer cake from Cagney’s) then the package is not worth it.  I find the package to be worthwhile.  

We don’t know your tastes or what you eat.  Take the links other posters have kindly offered you and do just a little research.  Lord help us with the lazy. It’s YOUR vacation and money!  

Fortunately the SDP is not limited to 1 app, 1 entree and one dessert.  It actually entitles you to unlimited apps, soups, salads, desserts and you are asked to choose an entree.  In fact, mention of only one entree is specifically only pertains to Cagney's and Le Bistro (so technically you could choose more than 1 entree at other venues).   From the t & 😄

• Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro

On Escape one night in Bayamo by Ocean Blue I had 3 apps and a soup, no entree and 1 dessert.  So have fun with it or as they said in Le Bistro, "Have whatever makes your heart sing."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 7:11 PM, mking8288 said:

@FM - Two weeks ago on the Joy (and, similarly on the Getaway this March/April) - our average itemized total for Cagney's came close to 85 or $90 only per person using the Platinum/Sapphire free vouchers ... that was zeroed out, just signed for it (unless there were upcharged items like the crab cake lump.)  With the Free At Seas Specialty Dining being more generous, extra choice of starter/soup/salad and extra sides - we ran up the dining total for 2 to $207 with one and $217 on another, excluding an upcharge - just sign, add extra tips as appropriate and say bye.  Porterhouse 20 oz. is $45 and covered, no extra charge.  Prices in Le Bistro are fairly similar, La Cucina is slightly/somewhat low, all being a la carte.

Thanks @mking8288 !  Was off for a while so only got to read your reply today.  We decided to purchase the additional 2-meal SDP NCL is offering to give us a total of 4, even though we have the Haven available for dinner also. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 9:53 AM, snorklinbarb said:

Fortunately the SDP is not limited to 1 app, 1 entree and one dessert.  It actually entitles you to unlimited apps, soups, salads, desserts and you are asked to choose an entree.  In fact, mention of only one entree is specifically only pertains to Cagney's and Le Bistro (so technically you could choose more than 1 entree at other venues).   From the t & 😄

• Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro

On Escape one night in Bayamo by Ocean Blue I had 3 apps and a soup, no entree and 1 dessert.  So have fun with it or as they said in Le Bistro, "Have whatever makes your heart sing."

Looking forward to a few 'extra' appetizers for sure! 😄 

On 5/28/2022 at 11:56 PM, LongIsland-Cruiser said:

It seems that a package would be substantially cheaper than ordering a la carte.

Incorrect information: You are entitled to as many appetizers as you want. You are entitled to one entrée in Cagney's and Le Bistro, and technically entitled to multiple entrées in other restaurants. You are entitled to multiple sides. And you are entitled to multiple desserts. Some waiters will tell you 1-1-1, but cover whatever you order. 

Here’ a few examples of pricing for two people. 

31640865-DD30-41CE-A61F-8991093F5920.jpeg

E13DF258-B942-45A3-907A-EA4EA96AFCB6.jpeg

0B414862-2590-4A4C-97B4-928805AEB575.jpeg

image.thumb.png.960090b25858ec320524c606a1bb8ac0.png

Not sure why the waiter rang this on two tickets, total $125

image.thumb.png.641a6ebdddfaa8f2496c50817729727b.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1