Spirit or Horizon

susan1957

Good morning....trying to make a decision....Spirit or Horizon....I like both itineraries......they both sail the same day....I have been on the Vista...so I am sure the Horizon will be similar.  Can anyone tell me what they liked about the Carnival Spirit....TIA

Guest BasicSailor

Only one response will work, Horizon.  Not unless you're into stepping two decades backwards into time.😆

I don’t like huge ships, so haven’t been on Vista class.  Largest Carnival so far is Dream class.  But I love the Spirit class.  The interior design is totally different from the other classes.  You need to experience it at least once.  I love the passage around the bow on deck 3 forward.  It’s called The Jungle, with lots of tables for 2 with window views. And the only place you will see a jungle full of giraffes.  What was Joe Farcus thinking?  EM

okay so I just went to deckplans.com and viewed the Spirit, and I like what I saw on the Jungle area.

If you like both itineraries, then I would select the Spirit as it looks interesting.  this ship may be 20 years old, but was in dry dock last fall.   

Even though the Horizon is a sister ship to the Vista, it has some differences that are worth taking note of. I liked the Guys Burgers on the Horizon. It’s a big sit down restaurant with a bar and live entertainment nightly. I saw lots of people dancing, playing dominoes off in the corner, doing drinking games etc. The menu is much bigger and the drinks are bomb. It became a favorite hangout for our family. I also enjoyed the tour of the micro brewery it was interesting and I loved the beers we sampled. I would pick the Horizon for these reasons   

Finishing up an Alaska cruise on the Spirit tomorrow and will say this, the food on the Spirit has been the worse of all cruises I have been on and I have been on a few.  Had several passengers make the same comment to me.  Food in dining room was okay at best but buffet food was just downright awful. 

We've always enjoyed the Pride, sister ship to the Spirit, but I'd take Horizon over Sprit. While we are not what I'd describe as "foodies", but the Spirit class ships lack in dining options. We are not fans of the MDR on any ship, but do enjoy the specialty restaurant offerings on ships that have them. 

• Like 1

I liked Spirit, never been on Horizon. If you prefer a HUGE ship then Spirit might not be your thing. I don't mind sailing smaller ships as long as they schedule good entertainment. I sailed Carnival Inspiration, that one was lame mainly because of the lack of entertainment when I was onboard and then pair that with less amenities. As long as Spirit has some decent stuff scheduled entertainment-wise then I think you'd be fine.

I like the MDR so for me it wouldn't matter if there were less specialty restaurants. We sometimes eat at the steakhouse on any cruise line that has one, but we also could live without any specialty resteraunts.

Edited by oyme

I was on Spirit in March, I believe it was her third trip out after drydock.  She had brand new carpet, new upholstery everywhere, and we even had table cloths in the dining room (don't know if they're still doing that or not since that's been discontinued on all the other ships for quite some time).   The Spirit Class are my favorite ships with Carnival since you just don't feel as crowded as on the others.

6 of us just finished an Alaskan cruise on May 26. I have 30+ cuises on Carnival and I couldn't agree more with burnsrod1 comments on the food-the worst I have ever experienced.  I also didn't care for the cruise director (I believe his name was Adam??) Just my .02 cents

Horizon is my favorite ship from all cruise lines (except Disney of course).  Awesome ship, awesome food, awesome options and full size IMAX theater I loved.  

‘One note though, I think cruisinqt above meant Guy’s Pig and Anchor Bar.  The Guys Burgers is the same as other ships but the Pig and Anchor Bar is as he described and really cool.  Note - on embarkation day and sea days, P&A has a free buffet!  Go through the restaurant onto the deck and turn left.  You can eat outside or inside.  Saw people ordering food (at extra charge) who did not realize it was free right outside.  

• Like 1

I haven't been on the Spirit specifically, but I've sailed the Spirit class.  My thoughts:

The Spirit class is the best of "old" Carnival.  They are laid out perfectly, have tons of space and are amongst some of the most relaxed feeling ships in the fleet.  To me, I'll sail Spirit class over anything Dream class and older.  

Horizon is a very good representation of "new" Carnival, with tons of food and beverage options, tons of different things to do, and all put together in a huge ship package.  

If space is your main concern, go Spirit.  If activities are your main concern, go Horizon.