Love Boat Dream

wrongwaywatson

Princess has done some stupid things before, but WHY would they change a dessert that has been doing so well?  It was a favorite of SO MANY CRUISERS and was perfection (in my opinion)!  Every night that we ate in the MDR (over 14 cruises) I ordered the Love Boat Dream.  I endured teasing from my family for not trying something different, but I like what I like.  I have a peanut allergy, so I know it is safe.  I just can't believe that they messed with it.  There are so many mediocre things that they could tweak, but they do this!

My SIL & BIL are cruising to Alaska right now (we were supposed to go, but had to cancel before final payment) and he sent me a pic of a dessert and said that this is now the Love Boat Dream. I laughed and thought he was kidding. Today, my SIL sent a message that he wasn’t kidding and they were a bit shocked when it came. We cruised in November and it was the same. Any info?
First pic ”new”, second pic “old”

bad lbd.jpg

good lbd.jpg

Wow. I know they have changed it several times through out the years but that is definitely the biggest difference. A friend ordered it in December and it did not look like the first picture.

I was also a big fan of the old Love Boat dream, but I had the new version a couple of times on my recent Alaska cruise on the Grand Princess and really liked it - even more than the original.  The raspberry creme brulee makes it a little lighter than the original.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

I was also a big fan of the old Love Boat dream, but I had the new version a couple of times on my recent Alaska cruise on the Grand Princess and really liked it - even more than the original.  The raspberry creme brulee makes it a little lighter than the original.  

This came out on Valentine’s day this year on their ships.  It must have been popular?

I ordered it on the Discovery Princess a few weeks ago and was very disappointed.  Might have been slightly under the influence, and clicked in the medallion app that I wasn't enjoying the dining room.  The waiter was at my table within a minute or two and I got a chance to let him know my thoughts on the desert.  

Edited by DandDM
typo
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

This came out on Valentine’s day this year on their ships.  It must have been popular?

I was on the Emerald over Valentine’s Day.  We had the version before this.  Our first princess cruise was in 1999. That version of the Love Boat Dream was much, much better than the last version (second photo)  was. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MishelleMcc said:

😓  ...   It was my favorite too...  Was there any other kind of Chocolate Mouse offered?

There often is a sugar free chocolate mousse pie that is pretty good.

(Just looked it up and it is called: Sugar-Free Milk Chocolate
Mousse Cake w/whipping cream)

I didn't see any "chocolate mice" on my last sailing.

-----

Edited by Coral
  • Haha 3

I am really upset now 😒 I always order the Love Boat Dream as my second of my 2 nightly deserts 😒 Now I have to try to figure out what 2 deserts I'll be ordering for my next cruise....guess I'll have to start looking for more menus now.😫

• Haha 1

Having cruised all the major lines since reopening, I still think Princess is far better than any other line for desserts, both in the MDR and buffet. The Chocolate Journeys desserts are just beautiful and delicious, and I was so smitten with the pot de creme caramel pudding that I persuaded a pastry server in the buffet to get two a day for me to eat in my room. In comparison, I finished my first HAL cruise since shutdown, and they dropped their best desserts, including nightly creme brulee, they no longer offer an embarkation-day MDR lunch, and on sea days they only have a single MDR lunch menu for the entire cruise. I switched from HAL to Princess as my go-to line after their years of cutbacks (including no more production shows), so I'm willing to cut Princess a lot of slack in the face of crew and product shortages, higher costs for food and fuel, and the need to get back to profitability despite continued covid cases. 

No!  Please say it isn’t true!  I was on Sky Princess April 23-30 and they still had the old version of the Love Boat Dream. I leave next week for Alaska on the Majestic and I’ll be so disappointed if I don’t get the original version. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Coral said:

There often is a sugar free chocolate mousse pie that is pretty good.

(Just looked it up and it is called: Sugar-Free Milk Chocolate
Mousse Cake w/whipping cream)

I didn't see any "chocolate mice" on my last sailing.

-----

Omgosh!  I see it now!  Ha!!  Thank you for the chuckle!!  🤣

• Like 1

I almost always order the creme brulee. Not on this last cruise because it was never on the menu!  Soooo.... I decided to order the Love Boat Dream as I remembered that I used to order that freqently on our early cruises. GAH!!! I was horribly disappointed to receive the stupid crud depicted above. What is wrong with Princess??? Why would they not offer creme brulee and the ruin the Love Boat Dream? I was sooooooooooooo disappointed. Finally, one night one of our dinner companions collared a "white jacket" in the dining room and told him how dissappointed I was about the lack of creme brulee and told him that I always order that. (Pretty much true. I probably order that 90% of the time.) He left and we kept waiting for someone to take our dessert order. Finally he came back and had creme brulee for all 4 of us. It was great (and I naturally thanked him effusively) but I really don't understand these weird changes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

I almost always order the creme brulee. Not on this last cruise because it was never on the menu!  Soooo.... I decided to order the Love Boat Dream as I remembered that I used to order that freqently on our early cruises. GAH!!! I was horribly disappointed to receive the stupid crud depicted above. What is wrong with Princess??? Why would they not offer creme brulee and the ruin the Love Boat Dream? I was sooooooooooooo disappointed. Finally, one night one of our dinner companions collared a "white jacket" in the dining room and told him how dissappointed I was about the lack of creme brulee and told him that I always order that. (Pretty much true. I probably order that 90% of the time.) He left and we kept waiting for someone to take our dessert order. Finally he came back and had creme brulee for all 4 of us. It was great (and I naturally thanked him effusively) but I really don't understand these weird changes.

I suspect the weird changes are due to the new chef in over all charge of Princess culinary services. Name of Rudy something. Saw a youtube of him cooking. He took great pride in burning the food he was cooking!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jeno said:

I was on the Emerald over Valentine’s Day.  We had the version before this.  Our first princess cruise was in 1999. That version of the Love Boat Dream was much, much better than the last version (second photo)  was. 

The original version back then:

o Had a crispy bottom, not the soft cake like bottom it has had recently.

o Had a very rich chocolate taste, not the plain chocolate pudding taste it has had recently.

o Came with a piece of Godiva chocolate on top with the Sea Witch logo on it.

I have not ordered the LBD for several years as it is just a shadow of what it used to be.

Just because it is still in the shape of a heart does not mean it is good.

022 12.09.05 The Princess Love Boat Dream PC090092a.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MishelleMcc said:

Omgosh!  I see it now!  Ha!!  Thank you for the chuckle!!  🤣

I took a European river cruise a long time ago (on a European line) - they literally took a pear and made it into a dessert in the shape of a mouse. I just could not eat it. 

Edited by Coral
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, brisalta said:

I suspect the weird changes are due to the new chef in over all charge of Princess culinary services. Name of Rudy something. Saw a youtube of him cooking. He took great pride in burning the food he was cooking!!!

LOL  Makes sense.  Reminds me of a chef our local (now closed) country club hired.  We live in a very blue collar area, with mostly a cheeseburger/steak/beer after golf mentality.  They hired a chef from California who brought in wine tastings and took away the hamburger and fried chicken and added squid, octopus and a few other more exotic specials.  After a few months of not selling the specials that he put out, and having to dispose of the food, and hardly anyone coming to the wine tastings...he left.   Know your clientele, improve what needs improvement and LEAVE THE GOOD STUFF ALONE!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, caribill said:

The original version back then:

o Had a crispy bottom, not the soft cake like bottom it has had recently.

o Had a very rich chocolate taste, not the plain chocolate pudding taste it has had recently.

o Came with a piece of Godiva chocolate on top with the Sea Witch logo on it.

I have not ordered the LBD for several years as it is just a shadow of what it used to be.

Just because it is still in the shape of a heart does not mean it is good.

022 12.09.05 The Princess Love Boat Dream PC090092a.JPG

Thank you for the great description.  I agree.  I very rarely  ordered it after the change from the first version I had. 

• Like 2